2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

Just now, BBRT said:

And all caps to boot. Must mean you are angry or your keyboard locked! My point is that the stamps continue to bring in folks - whether they help this year or not whether they are any better than what they have is a moot point. They continue to bring in folks to evaluate even this late in the season. Means they are always looking where as we just seem to maintain the status quo as long as possible.

we brought in a half dozen guys last week!

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Looks like 2015 here all over again... Battle lines being drawn. It's gonna be a blood bath. 

There are a number of folks that just like to whistle when they walk by a grave yard - All is good! All is Well! - there on the other hand are those that know things are not good and things are not well and no amount of deflection will change that. Sorry but the facts are the facts.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

we brought in a half dozen guys last week!

Generally speaking, the players brought in late in the season that end up making a measurable difference are not raw rookies. The PR expansion guys are almost exclusively futures. Believe me, I don’t consider Flanders or Ball to be big time difference makers but you can’t equate the PR expansion guys the Bombers brought in with the type of guy that most people are clamouring for. 

1 hour ago, BBRT said:

There are a number of folks that just like to whistle when they walk by a grave yard - All is good! All is Well! - there on the other hand are those that know things are not good and things are not well and no amount of deflection will change that. Sorry but the facts are the facts.

See the source image

When I walk by a graveyard, I don't whistle. I run. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Calgary seems to be bringing in guys to play right away, while we are trying out guys for next year. Its the same thing we do every year under this administration. 

They brought in one guy who's going on their roster. An LB who hasn't played this year. They've also added a RB to their practice roster who couldn't get a sniff here. 

If only we had more guys that were sitting on their couch last week on our team!! 

Yeesh. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

They brought in one guy who's going on their roster. An LB who hasn't played this year. They've also added a RB to their practice roster who couldn't get a sniff here. 

If only we had more guys that were sitting on their couch last week on our team!! 

Yeesh. 

That happens in the cfl more then youd think. With guys who sit out and come in having not played in a long while. Like bailey, grant and lawler for instance. 

No rb is taking a spot or significant touches away from harris. Not if we had the 2nd and 3rd best backs in the league. 

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeesh. 

For transparency, you do not want the Bombers to add anyone who has the potential to make this team better going into the playoffs? It’s not like cap space is an issue at the moment. I just want to be clear because it seems like you want to dismiss anyone who suggests that some upgrades are necessary. 

13 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

For transparency, you do not want the Bombers to add anyone who has the potential to make this team better going into the playoffs? It’s not like cap space is an issue at the moment. I just want to be clear because it seems like you want to dismiss anyone who suggests that some upgrades are necessary. 

For transparency, the Bombers added six to the PR last week. I guess that's not trying to l get better. Not comment from you because that doesn't fit your opinion that the Bombers aren't trying. 

But, please, who would cut to bring in Ball? For transparency of course.

21 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Most of the upgrades are likely to come from players getting healthy. 

I know people are shitting on Bighill for example, but come on, no one is replacing him. We've used a crap load of different DBs this season due to injury, if Alexander is healthy that's a big boost to the unit already... so where realistically do we need to add someone? 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

For transparency, the Bombers added six to the PR last week. I guess that's not trying to l get better. Not comment from you because that doesn't fit your opinion that the Bombers aren't trying. 

But, please, who would cut to bring in Ball? For transparency of course.

Again, don't think Ball is the answer and also again, those PR guys are pretty certainly not going to make any sort of impact until next season if at all. I don't think the Bombers aren't trying, but I think your stance that anyone suggesting that they shouldn't be bringing in NFL cuts is an idiot is misguided.

Edited by AKAChip

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Most of the upgrades are likely to come from players getting healthy. 

I know people are shitting on Bighill for example, but come on, no one is replacing him. We've used a crap load of different DBs this season due to injury, if Alexander is healthy that's a big boost to the unit already... so where realistically do we need to add someone? 

I think gaining Alexander helps and while Jeffcoat was fairly invisible last game, it was his first game back so he is likely to improve. And it's not even that I can say with certainty that the Bombers haven't attempted to bring in guys that can help them win now, it's just that we haven't seen the fruits of that yet AND they very clearly have the cap room to make something happen. We don't know if this core's cup window is narrow but with Harris and Bryant in the twilights of their careers and Bighill struggling, it's not hard to imagine the team having a mild decline in coming years. Not a certainty, but we know this current roster is very good.

And yes, I realize that Bighill isn't getting replaced but it's extremely clear he's either injured far more seriously than let on, or he's lost a step. His play has been poor this season, simple as that. Frankly, I would add a DB and a receiver if given the choice. Shaq Richardson is a guy I mentioned earlier who would be a great fit. Kenny Ladler is another. Frankly, the idea that because the Bombers signed some guys when the practice roster expanded that it means they aren't being complacent is craziness. Not that I hate the players, just that they aren't making any meaningful contribution this season like some former CFLer NFL cuts would. 

10 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Again, don't think Ball is the answer and also again, those PR guys are pretty certainly not going to make any sort of impact until next season if at all. I don't think the Bombers aren't trying, but I think your stance that anyone suggesting that they shouldn't be bringing in NFL cuts is an idiot is misguided.

Very clearly not my stance and anyone suggesting it is must be an idiot.

My stance is that bringing in people that have been sitting on a couch all season is not going to have an impact on our team. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Very clearly not my stance and anyone suggesting it is must be an idiot.

My stance is that bringing in people that have been sitting on a couch all season is not going to have an impact on our team. 

I think you’re confusing the stance of people who want the team to bring in impact guys as people who want to bring in players like Ball and Flanders. There are plenty of guys out there who have been in NFL camps. Whether they want to join the Bombers or not is up in the air, but these players exist. That’s where your statement that they’ve actually brought in PR guys when the roster expanded doesn’t jive with me. 

Edited by AKAChip

24 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think you’re confusing the stance of people who want the team to bring in impact guys as people who want to bring in players like Ball and Flanders. There are plenty of guys out there who have been in NFL camps. Whether they want to join the Bombers or not is up in the air, but these players exist. That’s where your statement that they’ve actually brought in PR guys when the roster expanded doesn’t jive with me. 

Huh? I'm not sure what you're on about. I was responding directly to someone loathing the fact that Calgary brought Ball. 

So, whatever point you think you're making, you're not. It is getting tiresome though. 

10 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I think gaining Alexander helps and while Jeffcoat was fairly invisible last game, it was his first game back so he is likely to improve. And it's not even that I can say with certainty that the Bombers haven't attempted to bring in guys that can help them win now, it's just that we haven't seen the fruits of that yet AND they very clearly have the cap room to make something happen. We don't know if this core's cup window is narrow but with Harris and Bryant in the twilights of their careers and Bighill struggling, it's not hard to imagine the team having a mild decline in coming years. Not a certainty, but we know this current roster is very good.

And yes, I realize that Bighill isn't getting replaced but it's extremely clear he's either injured far more seriously than let on, or he's lost a step. His play has been poor this season, simple as that. Frankly, I would add a DB and a receiver if given the choice. Shaq Richardson is a guy I mentioned earlier who would be a great fit. Kenny Ladler is another. Frankly, the idea that because the Bombers signed some guys when the practice roster expanded that it means they aren't being complacent is craziness. Not that I hate the players, just that they aren't making any meaningful contribution this season like some former CFLer NFL cuts would. 

other guys that could help this team right now... LB Jameer Thurman, WR Marken MItchel 

14 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Jeffcoat had 2 pressures and a strip sack forced fumble, and 4 tackles. Thats not exactly invisible... 

Bighill isnt struggling hes being used very poorly. 

52 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

While I agree, he has had some day late and a dollar short tackle attempts too.

He has, but coming back from an awful position will effect your tackling. And when arguable the best tackler in the league is slipping, coaching is doing a poor job. I do believe that if he was being used as he was last year we'd see a different performance.

If he was used like he was last year we probably win 2 or 3 of the games weve lost too. If either side of the ball was coached aggressively to the last play, we may be un defeated. Any chance we can air lift in some coaches from down south??