Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

6 hours ago, Zontar said:

"#randycommish.....heading to Mexico to pick up the cheque. Weird how they want to meet in the middle of a desert and told me to come alone, oh well, I guess that's how they do things down there. ..."

If you seen 'No Country for Old Men'.....I can see where you could get a little antsy picking up cash in the desert..lol

16 hours ago, Engelwood said:

I heard a report on the news that there is over 900 new hotels rooms in or around Regina since the last grey cup.

Yes, they went from 3000 to 3900 rooms, which is still about 4000 short of what they need for an event of this size.    Winnipeg has 7600 rooms, and it's a challenge here.

48 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I've read that Regina only has something like 3900 hotel rooms and that such an event generally requires roughly double that. Its a joke that people have to stay in Estevan, Moosejaw or Yorkton. Its like hosting it in Winnipeg and people booking hotels in Portage La Prairie, Selkirk and Stienbach.

More like Brandon, Kenora & Gimli. Heck, Selkirk is only 35 minutes north of Winnipeg. Like the driving time from Island Lakes to Westwood.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Good news for CFL Grey Cup attendees: the Cup will be played another week earlier in 2021. Nov 21. Watch for more possible movement when the CFL and TSN get together to discuss, after their TV agreement ends soon after that..

Can they bump it up and have it in late October instead.  I think attendances later in the year would be much higher if the season were to move up.

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Good news for CFL Grey Cup attendees: the Cup will be played another week earlier in 2021. Nov 21. Watch for more possible movement when the CFL and TSN get together to discuss, after their TV agreement ends soon after that..

But not 2020? Darn, was hoping it would be.

Last time they got a Grey Cup game awarded to them I got roasted on pretty much every forum for standing up to the Pollyannas who proclaimed how Regina "deserves" it.

Wrong, wronger, wrongest.

You only "deserve" it if you can host both the event and the people who go to it in the manner in which it deserves. A GC in a small-time setting is a small-time GC. And the last one held there was like a local event and nothing like a celebration of Canada and Canadian Football. 

17 minutes ago, bluto said:

Last time they got a Grey Cup game awarded to them I got roasted on pretty much every forum for standing up to the Pollyannas who proclaimed how Regina "deserves" it.

You only "deserve" it if you can host both the event and the people who go to it in the manner in which it deserves. A GC in a small-time setting is a small-time GC. And the last one held there was like a local event and nothing like a celebration of Canada and Canadian Football. 

No one can say the Rider fanbase cares if it's a national Grey Cup or not. It's theirs & they'll circle the wagons pushing the Riders onto everyone who is from out of town. You couldn't get me within a hundred miles of Regina in 2020. I remember what the last one was like.

38 minutes ago, bluto said:

Of the dozen or so Grey Cups I've been to around Canada, Regina was the only one that I did not enjoy. From the collusion between hotels and bus tours to completely rip people off, to having to walk back to my hotel because I made the mistake thinking that taking a cab was a possibility, to 3 hour waits in line for restaurants it was a complete fiasco from start to finish. NEVER AGAIN REGINA!!!

Edited by gcn11

Just now, gcn11 said:

Of the dozen or so Grey Cups I've been to around Canada, Regina was the only one that I did not enjoy. From the collusion between hotels and bus tours to completely rip people off, to having to walk back to my hotel because I made the mistake that taking a cab was a possibility, to 3 hour waits in line for restaurants it was a complete fiasco from start to finish. NEVER AGAIN REGINA!!!

This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping to take my oldest son to his first Grey Cup in 2020. Maybe, I'll just take him to Calgary this year instead. 

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping to take my oldest son to his first Grey Cup in 2020. Maybe, I'll just take him to Calgary this year instead. 

I honestly hope that Regina has sorted this stuff out because it was a complete joke. The touring company booked about 75% of the hotel rooms in Regina and then gouged everyone for a room. I even heard stories on our bus trip of some guys being double booked into rooms with strangers.

Edited by gcn11

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

If you book your room direct with the hotel and can somehow get tickets without going through tour operators, and don't mind eating at non peak hours or taking charter buses back to your hotel before events are finished...you should be fine. If any of that doesn't suit you go to Calgary would be my recommendation. Crappy football venue but a very nice city with a lot of amenities and infrastructuire.

Just now, gcn11 said:

If you book your room direct with the hotel and can somehow get tickets without going through tour operators, and don't mind eating at non peak hours or taking charter buses back to your hotel before events are finished...you should be fine. If any of that doesn't suit you go to Calgary would be my recommendation. Crappy football venue but a very nice city with a lot of amenities and infrastructuire.

Stayed downtown during the WSF in Regina and found it really good. We even walked to the stadium. But, that's not the Grey Cup and I don't want to deal with inadequate infrastructure when I've got a 10 year old with me. Just not as much fun.