Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

14 minutes ago, Ripper said:

CFL, Canadian football league.  Evans is a canuck and you need your starters. He is good in the role he is in. 

Evans helping with the ratio doesn't make your dl any better, which was the issue being discussed. 

Regardless, I think he's a decent player, just a little overrated.

Edited by sweep the leg

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Evans helping with the ratio doesn't make your dl any better, which was the issue being discussed. Regardless, I think he's a decent player, just a little overrated.

I never said his passport made our line better, I simply quoted stats from last year. I do think our line is as good as anyone else's though

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Just for fun, mull the fact that Jake Thomas had better stats in a part time role than your starter and then contemplate the reality that Evans is making $190,000.

They are same age and Thomas has more career games played than Evans, almost a entire season worth,15. Evans has 10 more sacks and 2 grey cups rings.  The fact that Thomas is still not a starter is hardly a glowing endorsement of your argument.  If Thomas is some well kept secret, maybe you should start him this year. Evans takes a beating in there but has only missed 2 games in the last 5 years since he became a starter

Edited by Ripper

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Thomas is a nice rotational player on a good contract, but I'd definitely rather have Evans. 

I like the extra 20 pounds on Evans also, to plug up the middle and fight off blocks. I do think Thomas plays his part on the team very well. He is from the Maritimes and they all have a lot of heart and grit

I would think Jeffcoat and Jefferson are best end pair in league..only doubters are sask..I remember everyone lauding dumping Leonard.. saying he was garbage..etc..now he's a beast??

Evan's is exactly over rated..what has he really done there? And dont say take up space for others to succeed..that's a load of crap..at at 200k a year? Yikes

Thomas had better stats..with less reps..playing same position..and played all ST's on top of it..Johnson is good I give u that..but at 31 we will see how he does doing all the heavy lifting himself.

As for depth?..who u got..Mack Henry..pft.. Geter? Hardly has proven anything other than impress the faithful.

56 minutes ago, Ripper said:

They are same age and Thomas has more career games played than Evans, almost a entire season worth,15. Evans has 10 more sacks and 2 grey cups rings.  The fact that Thomas is still not a starter is hardly a glowing endorsement of your argument.  If Thomas is some well kept secret, maybe you should start him this year. Evans takes a beating in there but has only missed 2 games in the last 5 years since he became a starter

Yeah..Evan's was reason for the grey cups.. yup

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I never said his passport made our line better, I simply quoted stats from last year. I do think our line is as good as anyone else's though

Based on stats like u mentioned..Nevis had 26 tackles..2 sacks and is a 300 pound run stopper

Evan's had 15 tackles.. 1 sack..playing same role..

So would that not in the grand scheme of things make WPG dline stronger if he is back with basically the better ends seeing as Jefferson was your your dual award winner...and Jeffcoat is much better than Leonard..and Bryant is no slouch either...that is if Nevis is back of course ;)

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Based on stats like u mentioned..Nevis had 26 tackles..2 sacks and is a 300 pound run stopper

Evan's had 15 tackles.. 1 sack..playing same role..

So would that not in the grand scheme of things make WPG dline stronger if he is back with basically the better ends seeing as Jefferson was your your dual award winner...and Jeffcoat is much better than Leonard..and Bryant is no slouch either...that is if Nevis is back of course ;)

I like Nevis, solid player.  Jeffcoat is much better??  Leonard had more than double the tackles in only 5 more games.  I'm not AC's biggest fan as he likes to jump offside a lot. But so does Willie so you guys have that now, he is good for at least one a game

10 hours ago, Booch said:

I would think Jeffcoat and Jefferson are best end pair in league..only doubters are sask..I remember everyone lauding dumping Leonard.. saying he was garbage..etc..now he's a beast??

Hughes and Leonards numbers over 18 games are 89 tackles and 22 sacks.  The Jeff's are 66 tackles and 17 sacks. I can clearly see why you think they are better. 

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Hughes and Leonards numbers over 18 games are 89 tackles and 22 sacks.  The Jeff's are 66 tackles and 17 sacks. I can clearly see why you think they are better. 

I lol at all these debates,  did we factor in that the Rider defense played way more snaps because of how crappy the O was?  Who really cares about any of these numbers,   the people are playing on new teams and some with new coaches and next season everyone will have different stats. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I lol at all these debates,  did we factor in that the Rider defense played way more snaps because of how crappy the O was?  Who really cares about any of these numbers,   the people are playing on new teams and some with new coaches and next season everyone will have different stats. 

Can't take it too seriously, there are way too many moving parts for anything to be accurate. I'm a numbers guy so I just projected them all playing 18 games at the pace they were at so there was something for everyone to look at.  It doesn't mean anything, just some off season fun.  Willie is a great player, I'm sorry to see him go. 

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Well we will see how season goes, and where pundants say best d-line sits...and if you ask anybody in the know..or a full set of teeth...9 out of 10 would pick Jeffcoat over Leonard...and I bet you would too if you had the choice.

Also...Hughes fades...did squat in the play-offs for mr stats guy...he got what 14 for year...none in play-offs..Jeffcoat got what ..4 or 5 I believe in the 2 games..and the d-line shut you guys down...and our o-line treated your d-line like a couple biatches..so who was more valuable ?

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well we will see how season goes, and where pundants say best d-line sits...and if you ask anybody in the know..or a full set of teeth...9 out of 10 would pick Jeffcoat over Leonard...and I bet you would too if you had the choice.

Also...Hughes fades...did squat in the play-offs for mr stats guy...he got what 14 for year...none in play-offs..Jeffcoat got what ..4 or 5 I believe in the 2 games..and the d-line shut you guys down...and our o-line treated your d-line like a couple biatches..so who was more valuable ?

I'll pass on Jeffcoat and Leonard and go with Jefferson.  Hughes is getting old, likely why he faded down the stretch, likely see that again this year, kind of the same as your RB

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'll pass on Jeffcoat and Leonard and go with Jefferson.  Hughes is getting old, likely why he faded down the stretch, likely see that again this year, kind of the same as your RB

That's a terrible attempt at trolling. He put up 153 yards and a td in week 22 against your defense.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

I'm going to assume you just didn't watch any of the games during the last few weeks/playoffs. He did whatever he wanted against you in the shut out. Then quickly got the title in Edm game with a huge run while we played our back up oline. I can't seem to remember how he did against the riders in the WSF though, you should go watch that game again.