Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Unknown Poster

WHL Returning to Winnipeg?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:
Would NOT be owned by the Jets. Would play at UofM until new 5000 seat arena was built. 

While there are NHL teams in western Canada that have WHL teams playing there none of those have an AHL team as well.

Are there enough hockey fans left in this town after the NHL/AHL's combined 20k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do tickets need to run for the WHL? And average attendance? 

AHL kind of hits the sweet spot with pricing and young pro players. The direct link to the Jets is a huge bonus. 

As much fun as having an WHL team here, I wonder how they could make it work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JCon said:

What do tickets need to run for the WHL? And average attendance? 

AHL kind of hits the sweet spot with pricing and young pro players. The direct link to the Jets is a huge bonus. 

As much fun as having an WHL team here, I wonder how they could make it work. 

It would have a better chance to work if it was at Bell MTS Place.  They'll be dead meat in Fort Garry. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JCon said:

What do tickets need to run for the WHL? And average attendance? 

AHL kind of hits the sweet spot with pricing and young pro players. The direct link to the Jets is a huge bonus. 

As much fun as having an WHL team here, I wonder how they could make it work. 

Used to go to a lot of Pats game tickets were 20 bucks they usually had between 3500 and 5000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

While there are NHL teams in western Canada that have WHL teams playing there none of those have an AHL team as well.

Are there enough hockey fans left in this town after the NHL/AHL's combined 20k?

Had free tickets to the Moose game on Friday.  You could count the people in the building.  Just over 700.  Maybe they sold more, but the building sure was empty.  I couldn't see the WHL doing better than that here.

There's not going to be much money to go around if the Jets are consistent playoff participants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JCon said:

What do tickets need to run for the WHL? And average attendance? 

AHL kind of hits the sweet spot with pricing and young pro players. The direct link to the Jets is a huge bonus. 

As much fun as having an WHL team here, I wonder how they could make it work. 

sy2VdSh.jpg

Kootenay single game prices...

bAEUFkF.jpg

Brandon $8-19 minus ticket fees.

 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think WHL would actually do pretty well in Winnipeg... probably to the detriment of the Moose though

AHL games can get pretty boring - Wheat Kings games have always been entertaining from what I remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see WHL working in Winnipeg.  Perhaps in the outskirts like Steinbach or something?  Who knows.  The Rockets used to be a hot ticket in Kelowna, not so much anymore.  I was in Saskatoon recently and everyone was talking about their lacrosse team, no one seemed to care about the Blades.  Is junior hockey dying in Canada?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't see WHL working in Winnipeg.  Perhaps in the outskirts like Steinbach or something?  Who knows.  The Rockets used to be a hot ticket in Kelowna, not so much anymore.  I was in Saskatoon recently and everyone was talking about their lacrosse team, no one seemed to care about the Blades.  Is junior hockey dying in Canada?

We know one thing, they'll get no coverage from the Freep or Sun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To many options for entertainment in Winnipeg...    the Moose tickets are dirt cheap and most people I would assume would like to see the young guns in the AHL.      The only way I think that they may have an edge on the Moose would be that some folks don't like taking their family downtown and would rather go somewhere a bit more safe.   Kind of a stretch though IMO.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When this debate came up a few years ago before the Jets moved the moose back here, the chatter seemed to be that people would be more supportive of a WHL franchise than AHL. 

I would assume WHL would attract more of the hockey die hards while Moose would be the family crowds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brandon said:

To many options for entertainment in Winnipeg...    the Moose tickets are dirt cheap and most people I would assume would like to see the young guns in the AHL.      The only way I think that they may have an edge on the Moose would be that some folks don't like taking their family downtown and would rather go somewhere a bit more safe.   Kind of a stretch though IMO.    

 

How do you leave your house every day?

14 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Feels like it would be oversaturation to me.

Agreed.  Only so much sports & entertainment dollars to go around in a town < 800,000 Frugaltobans.  Already one new pro team coming in 2019, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

How do you leave your house every day?

Agreed.  Only so much sports & entertainment dollars to go around in a town < 800,000 Frugaltobans.  Already one new pro team coming in 2019, too. 

I'm perfectly fine downtown because I look like a homeless bum....   my wife on the other hand has troubles even during lunch hour walking downtown with her female co workers where they are harassed and at times intimidated.    I wouldn't want to take my children downtown during the weekend or after 5 pm,  I actually do care about their well being.  

I wouldn't call Winnipeg folks frugal,   I was more so referencing so many other entertainment options with arts,  family friendly facilities,  plethora of restaurants,  unique experiences,  PCW wrestling shows etc...   It's hard to take a piece of the pie when their is so much pie to go around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like it's 5-10 years too late but what the hell. If it happens I'll happily make trips in to watch when my Wheaties are the opponent. Prepare for asswhoopings Winnipeg! Start the trash talk now lol. 

I didn't know Winnipeg was building another arena. Has it started yet? Does the fact that it'll be on the southside mean the potential WHL team could tap into a fanbase that can't be bothered to drive downtown for Moose games? 

As noted by another poster Wheat Kings games are around $20 for adults. Very reasonable and it's great hockey to watch. Always fun to watch some future NHL stars get their start in the dub. Even if sometimes they're on the other side whupping your team's ass from time to time 😮😀.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm perfectly fine downtown because I look like a homeless bum....   my wife on the other hand has troubles even during lunch hour walking downtown with her female co workers where they are harassed and at times intimidated.    I wouldn't want to take my children downtown during the weekend or after 5 pm,  I actually do care about their well being.  

I wouldn't call Winnipeg folks frugal,   I was more so referencing so many other entertainment options with arts,  family friendly facilities,  plethora of restaurants,  unique experiences,  PCW wrestling shows etc...   It's hard to take a piece of the pie when their is so much pie to go around.  

You raise a great idea.  These people should cancel plans to bring the WHL and invest in PCW!  Ill make some calls 😉

As far as downtown goes, I think some men forget that its very different for women.  Saying that, I've been downtown with my 2.5 year old niece on a weekend and didnt give it a second thought.  My gf used to work downtown (someone was murdered right outside her office).  But plenty of families go downtown, especially to the arena and I dont think an arena in the South end would result in one extra person going strictly due to safety.  Convenience, maybe.  But again, we men have to remember its different for us (I'm 6'2" and very rarely have I been "bothered" but I have no issue with telling a person bothering me to go F themselves without fear of consequence).  There are many women who avoid parts of downtown.

Which is P&M should be opened! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×