Paul Lapolice

Goalie

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

When play makers make plays and the quarterback executes I think I lot of plays calls look like great play calls.  The players had their chances but blew them.  It’s a different game if nichols doesn’t underthrow that ball to Adams and Adams doesn’t drop it.

Well, the problem also is that just about any play call looks good against Richie Hall's defense.  Perhaps if Lapo wasn't practicing calling plays against a ridiculous bend and break scheme he might change his approach a little.

Edited by USABomberfan

12 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, the problem also is that just about any play call looks good against Richie Hall's defense.  Perhaps if Lapo wasn't practicing calling plays against a ridiculous bend and break scheme he might change his approach a little.

I think our D is having that problem going against a QB that can't read blitz.  Every other QB in the league can and just tear it apart.

9 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

So where is this fiction about too many deep balls coming from I wonder

Someone else’s fiction I gues......If you historically review past game play by play scripts the repeated pattern of 2 and outs due to insufficient yardage on second down plays is there in black and white. That is objective evidence.....” too many deep balls” is someone’s subjective opinion.

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And if he's down two scores it's usually like he doesn't even have a RB dressed.  How crazy is that?

Look at all the Bomber losses the last three seasons and the correlation to Harris having single digit carries, and entire 2nd and/or 3rd quarters without touching the ball.  Get behind, go one dimensional, ignore your most potent weapon, lose 90% of the time.

That's not what you said though...you didn't say anything about the 2nd or 3rd quarters or falling behind...

"Lapo has rarely committed to the run in his career as a play caller.  That’s one of his faults IMO.  He makes his offences one dimensional and he’s rarely had the talent to get away with it, and it’s rare to have that talent.  Like even BLM and Reilly stall out without some run complement."

which is not true...as I pointed out Harris nearly set records for rushing and receiving last year, and has a bundle of rushing yards this year. 

Edited by blitzmore

Lapo either goes deep or throws short. Look at Calgary, they killed us with intermediate passes all game long but Lapo is either deep or short, been that way since he was here in 2002. Of course it works a hell of a lot better with Khari Jones, Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers than it does Matt Nichols, Darvin Adams, and Ryan Lankford. Harris is great and all but our receivers are weak. Adams should be the 3rd or 4th best guy on the team not the best (though I think Dressler is still the best we have, but hurt of course)

13 hours ago, blitzmore said:

That's not what you said though...you didn't say anything about the 2nd or 3rd quarters or falling behind...

"Lapo has rarely committed to the run in his career as a play caller.  That’s one of his faults IMO.  He makes his offences one dimensional and he’s rarely had the talent to get away with it, and it’s rare to have that talent.  Like even BLM and Reilly stall out without some run complement."

which is not true...as I pointed out Harris nearly set records for rushing and receiving last year, and has a bundle of rushing yards this year. 

It's inconsistent.  That's what I mean by "rarely committed."  There are long stretches in games where the run is non existent, which are often the periods in the game where it's a 2 and out parade.   And I'm talking about Lapo from 2002 to today, not just the 3 seasons he's had Harris.

The only excuse for Harris not having 20 touches every week is if he gets hurt or they have such a ridiculous lead that it doesn't make sense, like maybe the game in Montreal this season.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo either goes deep or throws short. Look at Calgary, they killed us with intermediate passes all game long but Lapo is either deep or short, been that way since he was here in 2002. Of course it works a hell of a lot better with Khari Jones, Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers than it does Matt Nichols, Darvin Adams, and Ryan Lankford. Harris is great and all but our receivers are weak. Adams should be the 3rd or 4th best guy on the team not the best (though I think Dressler is still the best we have, but hurt of course)

The 12-15 yard pass (19-22 when dropped back). Where the QB really has to gun it into tight coverage is where Nichols fails because he doesn't have that strong arm throw.  If he did, he'd be able to move the ball for the odd first down.  But he prefers the check down (109 receptions for Harris last season), and I doubt more than 3 of them were 12-15 yard throws!

when he does try and squeeze it in, it's rarely on target, usually over thrown, in the receivers feet, or behind them causing a reach back catch attempt.  It's tough to watch!

Totally abandoned everything that worked in the first half.  Quick passing game, abandoned.  No misdirection, hardly any playaction.

Harris over 10 yards a carry, only 15 carries.

Sub 200 yards passing.

23 points- pick six = 16 point night for the O.  That's the output of a 3-15 team, for 3 straight weeks.

Brutal.

Hard to believe in all of America the 3 mostly useless but occasionally spectacular import receivers we dressed today were the best we could find.  Horrible.  Did anyone of them catch half their targets?   Why can't we use Simonise and Petermann at all?  It's reaching the point where they couldn't be worse.

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Totally abandoned everything that worked in the first half.  Quick passing game, abandoned.  No misdirection, hardly any playaction.

Harris over 10 yards a carry, only 15 carries.

Sub 200 yards passing.

23 points- pick six = 16 point night for the O.  That's the output of a 3-15 team, for 3 straight weeks.

Brutal.

Agreed again, the problems are obvious. 

31 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hard to believe in all of America the 3 mostly useless but occasionally spectacular import receivers we dressed today were the best we could find.  Horrible.  Did anyone of them catch half their targets?   Why can't we use Simonise and Petermann at all?  It's reaching the point where they couldn't be worse.

I really am confused why we won't use our Canadian receivers. Forget the passports, they may actually provide more reliability. Not that they are necessarily the better receivers, but our imports are struggling to get open and post high catch rates. 

1 minute ago, Captain Blue said:

I really am confused why we won't use our Canadian receivers. Forget the passports, they may actually provide more reliability. Not that they are necessarily the better receivers, but our imports are struggling to get open and post high catch rates. 

And so far they catch the damn ball.  Wolitarsky needs a bigger role and the others need any role because they've only made plays when given the chance.

5 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

And then start Mo at safety when he’s healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Of course not. 

But

You don’t take points off the TDs you scored. That’s just silly. 

Call it a turnover tax.  And you sure do if you're playing or coaching football.  Those points effectively cancel out one of the TD's they scored at the end of the day.  You need to factor it into any assessment of the offense.

On 2018-09-02 at 6:54 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sask did.  Therefore, net offensive point output is 16.

Sask had 10 points off turnovers (got a FG after the fumble) and returned a kick for another 7 points. 

The Sask offense really didn't do anything to win that game at all, it was missing the tackle on that kick return when they had the guy dead to rights and then giving away the ball on sloppy turnovers. You play like that in the other 2 phases you are making it really hard on your defense. Those guys deserved to win that game but it was given away by the other phases, especially when we take in the blocked field goal attempt too.