The Day Early Game Day Thread BC @ WPG

I don't expect a slow start at all...  Nichols has always excelled at motivating his guys - expect a big play early to Bowman to establish their chemistry

Harris going to have a big game - drastically under-used by Lapo/Streveler

I expect a 2TDs by air and two on the ground game

there were suggestions from the moment the Lions went all in on the defensive line that the talent behind them was suspect, which is precisely the category in which the defensive secondary as a whole now finds itself.

Hervey went heavy on three former Eskimos, A.J. Orange, Garry Peters and Marcell Young, who were established as starters for the Lions from the first day of training camp.

Make no mistake, the secondary wasn’t up against a chump quarterback but the league’s most outstanding player, Mike Reilly, who simply chewed up the Lions secondary. An early assessment, however, is that this secondary group isn’t much better than the once Buono assembled last year. Ronnie Yell, Kendall James, Loucheiz Purifoy, Keynan Parker and Matt Bucknor

C.J. Gable ravaged the Lions to the tune of 165 yards on an NFL-like 23 carries. Once they made sure to get a block on Solomon Elimimian, the Eskimos simply did what they wanted.

ulrich 3downnation

Go Andrew!

If the defence can be even average, Bombers will win. 

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I don't expect a slow start at all...  Nichols has always excelled at motivating his guys - expect a big play early to Bowman to establish their chemistry

Harris going to have a big game - drastically under-used by Lapo/Streveler

I expect a 2TDs by air and two on the ground game

I sure hope he hits Bowman in the endzone,  Bowman is my lock of the week....and to date I suck at picking. Lol.

2018 CFL GAME NOTES • BC AT WINNIPEG 

Recent BC v WPG matchups:

The teams have played 16 times since 2011 and are even at 8 wins apiece - 11 of the games have gone down to the final 3:00. BC won 2 of the 3 games last year but have just one win in Winnipeg in their last 4 visits. Matt Nichols has started for the Bombers in the last 6 meetings with BC and is 4-2 in those games.

Jennings 20-20: Jonathon Jennings brings a .500 record into this game - he is 10-10 on the road and 10-10 at B.C. Place.

Nichols: Came off the IL early and may start. Since Jul 28/16 when he became #1, Winnipeg is 21-9. They are 2-2 without him.

2nd Down Conversions 61%: The Bombers are at record pace thus far having converted 61% of their 2nd down opportunities. The CFL record (maintained since 2008) is 55% set by Montreal in 2008. In 2-&-6 or less situations the Blue Bombers have converted 25-of-34 chances (74%). By contrast, BC is just 37% on 2nd down conversions overall in 2018 and rank #7 in the CFL.

Pass Defence Deep: 

BC's pass defence ranks #9 in the CFL allowing 303.5 yards per game. Of note is that they have allowed 4 TDs and 115 yards per game on opponent deep throws of 20+ yards downfield, two more than any other club in only two games.

BC Lineup Turnover: BC's 24-man starting lineup has shown major changes since Week #2 in 2017. Compared to the 24 players who started in their Week #2 game last year - 13 starters were new in their most recent game, a Week #2 loss to Edmonton.

High Scoring Offence 28% TD Rate:

The Blue Bombers lead the CFL in scoring through Week #3 at 34.3 points per game and 31.7 ppg of that has come from their offensive unit. They are by far #1 with a TD drive rate of 28% having registered 11 TDs on just 39 possessions. They have cashed in on 18 of their offensive drives when adding in Justin Medlock's 7 FGs.

1K Rushing pace x 2: Winnipeg comes into Week #4 with two of the CFL's Top 5 rushers including #1 QB Chris Streveler with 183 yards (Pace: 1,098 yards over 18 games). Andrew Harris is #4 with 201 yards (1,206-yard pace) and leads the CFL with 43 carries.

RB receptions/Carries: After 3 games last year Andrew Harris had 16 catches for 120 yards, in 2018 he has 12 for 91 yards. He has made up for that rushing however with 14+ carries in each game, the most he has had in a 3-game stretch since Aug-Sep 2016.

BC Defence: In their win over Montreal the Lions allowed just 10 points and 335 net yards. In their Week #2 loss at Edmonton, the Eskimos rolled up 504 yards including 191 rushing. Edmonton built 5 TD drives on 13 possessions in dominating possession at 34:36.

Bryan Burnham: The Lions' wideout had 13 catches for 161 yards through 2 games last year - in 2018 he has 7 for 44 yards. Comparing his Targets through two games - 2017: 20, 2018: 11, just over half as often as last year.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS ON CFL GAME #25:

- Run Focus: BC is 2nd to Winnipeg in % of plays that are rushes. BC is #2 at 41% run, Winnipeg is at 46% (CFL average = 37%).

- RB receptions: After 3 games last year Andrew Harris had 16 catches for 120 yards. In 2018 he is down to just 12 for 91 yards.

- Jennings passing: He has yet to reach 200 yards in his two starts and with BC's focus on the run has 24 attempts in each game.

- 12 points up: The Lions led by 12 against Edmonton but could not hang on. They lost twice last year when leading by 10+ points.

- Road record: The Lions are just 1-6 in their last 7 road games but that one victory was in Winnipeg in Week #20 last year.

- Darvin Adams: The Bombers' wideout had 14 catches for 159 yards through 3 games last year - in 2018 he has 6 for 107 yards.

- Adam Bighill: Leads the CFL with defensive tackles and is yet again on 100+ pace (126 given his 7.0 per game pace).

- Marcus Sayles - 1 GP, 1 Int: The 1st-year player waited only 4 plays into his CFL career to record an INT which he returned 36 yds. - 4th Quarters: Last year the Lions' scored 44 points in the 4th Quarter against Winnipeg with totals of 18, 14 & 10 points.

- Chris Rainey: At 166.5 Rainey is #2 in Combined yards per game trailing only Christion Jones (177.0).

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

Expect a slow start from Nichols. His timing will be off somewhat. I think Lapo will call lots of short passes to receivers and dumps to Harris with some running plays mixed in. Longer passes in 2nd half as Nichols gets comfortable.

How is this different than any other game the last two years??

4 hours ago, do or die said:

...so will the humidity.....just like S.E Asia out there, right now.  (humidex 40+)

Very hot and muggy out there. I was out about an hour ago and saw a dog chasing a cat. They were both walking.

Great half by the Bomber O.

Nichols continues to grow as a starting QB in the league and is now to be considered every bit as dangerous as Reilly and Mitchell.

Although Lapo is sometimes too conservative, I think he is a great teacher and is doing an excellent job developing both Nichols and Streveler.

Seeing the big Canadian receivers like Peterman and Woli lining up as tight ends and making big blocks and big catches... good stuff. Harris is steamrolling the already exhausted BC D. Streveler continues to contribute. Adams having a solid night as predicted by posters here. I'm loving this O tonight.