How many threads do you want?

BigBlue

I actually prefer more threads rather than less. I find the long, all-encompassing threads difficult to follow, especially if I haven't checked in over a few days. Having a big thread, for example "Bombers News," actually slows discussion, in my opinion. There are various topics to discuss, but they all get smashed together so none really gain traction. Plus, big news such as Streveler being named starter gets pushed a few pages back very quickly.

I think any major news should warrant its own thread. Chris Streveler named starter for Week 1, for instance, is a major topic that can carry its own thread. For those of us who want to chat about that news, having it centralized in one spot would be great. That way other news can also get its own attention. There have been times when I've wanted to discuss a topic but by the time I've got to it other CFL/Bomber news has taken over that thread.

I don't think there is a need for so many opinion threads - because if you have an opinion about a topic its most likely that the topic itself warrants a thread. Again, your opinion on Streveler would go under that category. We don't need a thread for someone to personally state they are happy or unhappy about it, 'cause then it'll just be 50 different small threads on it.

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

I mostly just lurk now ... but I do enjoy the once a week threads like odds and sods, in case you missed it, happy honker.

plus all the main threads we follow. I think things are fine as they are 

Yes! I love those special column-esque threads. Really adds to the site and makes it seems more like a community. Plus you know what you're getting when you click on them more or less, so if for some reason you don't like it, they are easy to ignore.

Is it possible to pin posts within a thread? Having a game week thread with the depth chart pinned would be great for example.

I like pointed specific threads about different topics.  The one big thread and thirty pages is frustrating etc.  I used to use this site to keep up to date on the latest bomber news but now I find /cfl on reddit alerts me way faster. I just have to look at the subreddit and all the news has its own thread.   People don’t always comment on them but I see them and then jump here and wade through the 30 page posts to see what everyone thinks.  

Nate used to start threads about everything and although I found his ideals a bit insane I like reading and commenting on posts. 

Now, by the time I get through the 2-3 pages I’ve missed out on the part I wanted to comment on because it’s moved past it in the following  hours and days so I end up not posting and reading only. 

when I start getting news about Nichols or Bighill type news from an co-worker that doesn’t follow the bombers.  Something is broken and I used to see news topics posted on here and OB and knew as soon as it happened.

I also used used to enjoy all the links to bomber news/twitter/websites that people posted but that went away here too so now I just check reddit and then hope to catch it in the main thread here before it moves along. 

Also so I don’t find big blue annoying at all. I’m on here because I like talking g and reading about he bombers and enjoy the insight and excitement a lot of posters have.   If I find someone annoying , I do what I do in the real world, put up with it or ignore it and read one. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I actually prefer more threads rather than less. I find the long, all-encompassing threads difficult to follow, especially if I haven't checked in over a few days. Having a big thread, for example "Bombers News," actually slows discussion, in my opinion. There are various topics to discuss, but they all get smashed together so none really gain traction. Plus, big news such as Streveler being named starter gets pushed a few pages back very quickly.

I think any major news should warrant its own thread. Chris Streveler named starter for Week 1, for instance, is a major topic that can carry its own thread. For those of us who want to chat about that news, having it centralized in one spot would be great. That way other news can also get its own attention. There have been times when I've wanted to discuss a topic but by the time I've got to it other CFL/Bomber news has taken over that thread.

I don't think there is a need for so many opinion threads - because if you have an opinion about a topic its most likely that the topic itself warrants a thread. Again, your opinion on Streveler would go under that category. We don't need a thread for someone to personally state they are happy or unhappy about it, 'cause then it'll just be 50 different small threads on it.

Exactly my thoughts.  Strevler starting the game should be it’s own thread.  Why do I need to wade through discussions about things I’m not interested in to find out the latest and start commenting on it. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I've never liked the big specific threads either like 2018 Bomber Discussion or an Off Season Thread. I too, much prefer specific threads as they happen.  As you say it gets very cumbersome. When I've been away awhile I find I have to go to the end of a thread like that & work my way back a few pages to get the jist of what is being discussed. So, you're points are valid.   At  least to me. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've never liked the big specific threads either like 2018 Bomber Discussion or an Off Season Thread. I too, much prefer specific threads as they happen.  As you say it gets very cumbersome. When I've been away awhile I find I have to go to the end of a thread like that & work my way back a few pages to get the jist of what is being discussed. So, you're points are valid.   At  least to me. 

perhaps like having the old GD thread with and one with out gifs we could have an active open thread and specific ones. In the recent past every thing has just been mashed around and merged with discussions broken or killed. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've never liked the big specific threads either like 2018 Bomber Discussion or an Off Season Thread. I too, much prefer specific threads as they happen.  As you say it gets very cumbersome. When I've been away awhile I find I have to go to the end of a thread like that & work my way back a few pages to get the jist of what is being discussed.

The board software tracks what you've read and you can jump to the last thing you read on a thread by clicking on the little star or circle to the left of the thread title.

Really makes those long threads more readable, for me anyway.

Screenshot_from_2018-06-11_19-20-45.png

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

If a thread is interesting or relevant......it elicits responses.   If not.....crickets.   As long as it does not too closely resemble Nasty Nate output....all is well.   I read threads, not count them.

I'd agree with this. 

I dont care how many threads there are.. Whatever. If its interesting ill respond.. If not... Next!! 

GDT and WGT are solid tho. 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't contribute here anymore but I'm going to say this: Threads themselves aren't the problem... The people who create them are the problem. 

Gee, Noeller, I'd sure like it if you'd come back.  Enjoyed your contributions and I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that.  PS:  If 17to85 is the issue, we can deal with that. 😉

Edited by WBBFanWest

I very much miss the days that there were smaller more concentrated threads. I know I don’t post much and lurk far more, but I absolutely hate digging through big long threads and going back multiple pages trying to figure out where I left off.

Leading into today, I feel like a stand-alone thread discussing who we thought would/should be the starting QB would’ve been good to have separate. I actually think most major news deserves its own thread and have found it much more frustrating navigating the site since the change to big, multi-page, catch-all threads. It’s just weird to jump into a thread and see a dozen different conversations happening, and have to read every quoted message to understand what someone is replying to.

The software naturally prioritized new posts, so threads that aren’t popular will naturally die off anyway. What’s the problem with many threads? If a topic doesn’t interest you, just ignore it. Still easier and quicker to sift through 20 thread titles than 20 pages on a post to determine if you’re interested or not. 

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

okay, I've complained about thread proliferation, and I was probably a little irritable about it, and I regret that. 

This site is my primary source for Bomber news and analysis, so I like to read that stuff instead of the editorial / opinion stuff that I could get from Friesen if I wanted it.  If I were God-Emperor of MBB, here's the thread creation rhythm I'd want:

Around The League 2018 Season -- all non-Bomber news for the whole season.  (There was a super great week in review/preview thing we had last year, I can't remember who posted it, but they used the word balloon emoji a lot.  Tweets and news bits with embedded reactions that were usually apt or funny.  Would love to see that return.  Was it called In Case You Missed It?)

Bomber Game Week / Bye Week Thread  -- opens on Monday on game week, tracks all the Bomber news for that week (Streveler starting, etc)

Game Day Thread obvs

numerous free-for-all post-game analysis threads -- there are trusted names in this business, I know to look for the good ones.

Legit large developments (Jones fired, Nichols gets bionic legs, Dickenson appoints himself short-yardage QB for Stamps) get their own threads.

But really, I'm gonna chill out on this topic from here on out.

Agreed. When did Nichols get bionic legs? That fer sure should have been a seperate thread. 

5 hours ago, BigBlue said:

The request was made today to have a thread for the upcoming game on Thursday. I replied I didn't want to get yelled at for doing so. It is always the same 4 or 5 guys that want to get on my case ... they are abrasive and ornery just because they can  be ... they think it is funny to be mean... I have a thick skin so I don't care about their opinion but I do treasure this site and its overall goals

Some just want two or three threads so they can just follow a couple of narratives without having to go to the effort of clicking other threads

Others like to create very specific discussions about what they like to examine in detail. "Is Streveler our next James Franklin" is an example ...

Some threads bomb getting a disinterested response and others takeoff like wildfire picking up half a dozen pages in no time: cutdown day  and game day threads are examples.

So what do you want, what are your personal preferences?

1] Just two or three threads or a tad more if there is something extraordinary or

2] Do you want to see the freedom and creativity in  a lot of threads.

3] Or maybe you want a modest approach of somewhere in between.

Don't be shy - say what you love.

Speak up for the silent majority that read but don't post..

Do you want a pre-game thread (as one asked) for? Do you want a stand alone game day thread ro go with the chat room?

And for the two of you who asked for a thread about a thread, you have what you want!!!

You are doing great.

I enjoy your posts and the threads you create. You are a very optimistic and upbeat person and there is nothing wrong with that!

That said, I think one game thread with a day or two of lead up in it is sufficient instead of a separate pre-game thread and a game thread - just my personal preference, but to each his own!

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

People want to come here and read about big news.  Whether that is Adam Bighill signing in Winnipeg or Johnny Manziel signing in Hamilton.  We don't need to cram those into "Offseason Discussion".  I don't see why that is remotely necessary.  We are not in danger of running out of space, as far as I know.

I think there is a place for a "Bombers weekly thread" but if something big happens, like Matt Nichols going down with injury in practice, that NEEDS its own thread.  I should be able to come here and click on exactly the thread I want and read instant commentary from the community.

I agree with others that there is no need for "This is my random thought" threads.

But the absolute WORST thing is having someone come on here and post some news, and the first comment is "Why isn't this in mega-thread-123?"  How unbelievably annoying.

I'd like this site to be as accessible as possible.  The new season is starting and it would be nice to attract some new thoughts and viewpoints.  Having multiple clearly defined, smaller threads is the way to attract new readers who eventually become new posters.  It's all about speed and ease-of-use.

I agree with this as well.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I actually like more threads as opposed to less, what irks me is the people who create a thread for every mundane thought that pops into their head.

Exactly.  that's what facebook and Twitter are for.

Small on topic threads are ideal. Let's just keep the amount and the topics to a minimum. I used to post at RF.com (then I sobered up) and one thing I hated was the sheer amount t of new topics discussing useless topics. They literally have a thread discussing who their award winners will be this year.....they dont even have a finalized team yet....