Training Camp 2018

Thought I did, to be honest. Had the mobile window open and apparently didn’t hit post reply. Don’t visit either forum much anymore unfortunately so didn’t notice until just now. PS I don’t run this site at all and I’d say it’s unfair to Rich and the moderation team to suggest I participate in the day-to-day operations of this place whatsoever.

Here are my camp thoughts so far based on the odd times I've stopped in at practice:

Chris Streveler plays a lot like Mike Reilly without the polish of the veteran experience. Threat to run, threat to beat you over the top with a good deep ball and he is slowly picking up on the timing routes in the middle parts of the field. I haven't watched him a ton but I have noticed he's improved day by day that I've been there. I think he's our number 2 by September, if not out of camp.

Myles White might be the best receiver in camp ... think Weston Dressler with a bit more size. His moves in the middle of the field and ability to make guys miss is something that this roster could really benefit from. I don't know if there's a day one spot for him at this point, but his return abilities and an ongoing performance in camp/pre-season games could push one of our three out the door or put him on the roster some other way.

Kembrell (I think?) Thompkins wears really short shorts. He looks like the kind of deep threat that I would liken to a guy like Brandon Banks, but a little bigger ... he's never going to catch 90 passes, but I could see him grabbing 50 for 800-1000 yards in the right offence. I just don't know if that's here. They've had him on the neg list for a while so he's going to get a chance, but he's not the future (already older than Darvin) and so I really can't say for sure that the timing is right with him. Rueben Randle is another one ... I just don't know how these NFL guys crack the roster. Could be something to watch though.

Forgotten about has been the linebacker battle now that we signed Bighill, but honestly I'm putting JSK on my roster over Wild at this point. Do they both make it? Who knows but if you're looking for cap savings, Wild could be a candidate ... then again, so could Drake Nevis because Brandin Bryant looks like a force at DT and compliments Poop Johnson well in terms of skill set.

Marcus Sayles ... we always go out and scout all these big bodied defensive backs and then of course it's a little fella who lights up the camp. His nose for the ball is incredible, but I want to see how he plays with the lights on. So far, going against the same guys with the same playbook and the same tendencies every day has served him very very well but let's see how he does with a different opponent. Also been impressed by Seisay (until he got nicked) and I've seen flashes from Humes (who is built like a mack truck)

Rashaun Simonise and Daniel Petermann ... jesus christ... these two guys are solid. Simonise is going to be a day one starter for us, he's left Wolitarsky behind if you ask me - even if DW is healthy. All three will be on the roster though.

Week One Roster Prediction?

QB - Nichols, Streveler, Ross
RB - Harris*, LaFrance
FB - Rush, Miller
OL - Bryant, Neufeld*, Goossen*, Chungh*, Hardrick, Couture
REC - Bowman, Adams, Dressler, Simonise*, Demski*, Petermann, Wolitarsky, White (DI)

DL - Jeffcoat, Okpalaugo, B. Bryant, Poop, Roh (DI), Corney, Ekakitie
LB - Santos-Knox, Bighill, Fenner, Wild (DI), Miles, Briggs, Gauthier
DB - Randle, Leggett, Loffler*, Gaitor, Alexander, Jones, Firlotte

K - Medlock (DI)
LS - Rempel

As much as I like Flanders, I just don't see him on the squad even if they part ways with a guy like Ian Wild and use Wilson/Gause instead. What do we need him for? He played a hybrid slot/tailback combo and Demski looks like he can very clearly fill a very similar role in our offence. There's only one football and I'd rather they look at ways to integrate a guy like Myles White into the offence instead so that when we go deeper into the season and have some injuries, he's not going to go all deer-in-the-headlights on us. Bowman/Adams/Dressler/Harris/Demski/White/Simonise/LaFrance is a ridiculous amount of weapons on offence and Flanders just loses the numbers game in my opinion. I also see them getting creative on defense with the ratio ... we'll "start" two there since I expect we'll have rotations that put two Canadians on the field all the time anyways - makes it easier to get Myles White on the field in certain packages if we want to give Harris a breather, throw Demski in the backfield and roll 4 imports on offence at times

19 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Hes not even signed. Just here for a look-see. If anything else, he will bump Mahoney off the roster.

Yeah I think the ladder is the purpose. A work out is curious. They must know what he brings to the table by now. Idk maybe they want to try and light a fire under mahoney. 

9 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

IF we're trading, I would try and see if they would give Masoli away. :)

that would be a dream scenario. Masoli as back up would make us cup favorites imo.  

Darvin Adams and Dressler seem to have switched jerseys but Darvin man an unbelievable catch at the back of the endzone, adarius looks awesome out there as well. Simonise will be a starter and will be the guy we’ve all been asking for at that position for years.

Edited by Gotmilt

15 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I thinks it’s fair to say and I haven’t seen any other practice so no nic demski but Simonise is the fastest Canadian player we’ve ever had.

...and he’s 6’3.

CLOSER TO 6'5" ACTUALLY

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

I tell you...once he is in the game flow and back to where he was, he is going to seem like an Import receiver. 

I hear that if not for his PED screw up when in Cincy he would have probably stuck on their PR

I believe it. The mix of size, speed and hands makes me believe he’s a BIG part of the plans going forward. He makes everything look easy.

8 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Darvin looked like he will be beast during the regular season. During one on ones him and Bowman put on a show. Dye also made a nice catch in the back of the end zone. AJ Coney reminds me a lot of Denmark. I agree with Simonise if you did not know it you would think he was a import. 

I actually thought coney was Denmark for a good portion of the practice 😂

26 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Darvin looked like he will be beast during the regular season. During one on ones him and Bowman put on a show. Dye also made a nice catch in the back of the end zone. AJ Coney reminds me a lot of Denmark. I agree with Simonise if you did not know it you would think he was a import. 

The good Clarence or the invisible Clarence?