2018 CFL Draft

Rich

7 hours ago, TheSource said:

I don't like it at all - it is a very passive move, and is in keeping with Walter's other very passive activities this off season.

You'd think from the way the Bombers and their fans are acting that they have - hands down - the best Cdn content in the league by far... even after having one of the best Cdns on the team in Westerman stolen from them by a team that has more drive and gumption, and then passing on one of the greatest Cdn talents in the league in Muamba.

On the contrary, I think this season is going to show that the Bomber Cdn content is again sub-par unless the gamble on some of the unproven Cdns Bombers picked up in FA, and some of the 2nd stringers Bombers have acquired over the last 3 years start to step it up. If not, I don't see how this team can be anywhere close to where they were last year.

this is almost laughable...

People bitching about this trade, never change Bomber fans, never change. 

I like the trade. They did add a lot of Canadians in free agency so what this really is, is Walters managing his assets. Probably figures they'll get a similar level guy at 7 or 12 but now he's got a couple first rounders to play with next season whether they use the picks on players or use one or both in a trade I really like it because a guy picked 7th overall this year is very unlikely to be the difference between winning and losing this season so why not play the long game? 

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

this is almost laughable...

Well, ya kinda got me there... ;)

I do however respect your opinion very much on this board so I am interested to see how things work out.

I really do hope that things work out as Walters expects - would be nice to see the Bombers very competitive again this year.

Last year we had 2 first rounders, but didn't have the money for some reason to sign both, so we signed a guy with an NFL shot and let them train him. This year, we don't have enough money for some reason to sign any first round picks, so we trade ours away. Next year, we'll have 2 first rounders again. It's almost laughable to suggest that we will suddenly find the money to sign both of them. 

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Last year we had 2 first rounders, but didn't have the money for some reason to sign both, so we signed a guy with an NFL shot and let them train him. This year, we don't have enough money for some reason to sign any first round picks, so we trade ours away. Next year, we'll have 2 first rounders again. It's almost laughable to suggest that we will suddenly find the money to sign both of them. 

I love when people who have inside knowledge on our budget share info. 

Can you let us know how close we are to the cap? And which players the club is hoping to replace with cheaper players this season? 

Thanks in advance. 

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

New CBA coming this offseason and the cap is expected to rise by more than the usual annual 50k so it's not that laughable.

And we could do the same thing next year as last year... bring in a "today" player and a "future" player.

I don't know why you have such a problem with this.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

New CBA coming this offseason and the cap is expected to rise by more than the usual annual 50k so it's not that laughable.

And we could do the same thing next year as last year... bring in a "today" player and a "future" player.

I don't know why you have such a problem with this.

agree on this.

and there maybe some high-priced players to unload after this season. (retirements and/or cuts possibly)

8 hours ago, TheSource said:

I don't like it at all - it is a very passive move, and is in keeping with Walter's other very passive activities this off season.

You'd think from the way the Bombers and their fans are acting that they have - hands down - the best Cdn content in the league by far... even after having one of the best Cdns on the team in Westerman stolen from them by a team that has more drive and gumption, and then passing on one of the greatest Cdn talents in the league in Muamba.

On the contrary, I think this season is going to show that the Bomber Cdn content is again sub-par unless the gamble on some of the unproven Cdns Bombers picked up in FA, and some of the 2nd stringers Bombers have acquired over the last 3 years start to step it up. If not, I don't see how this team can be anywhere close to where they were last year.

all i can say is... we are not in 2009.

?

47 minutes ago, JCon said:

I love when people who have inside knowledge on our budget share info. 

Can you let us know how close we are to the cap? And which players the club is hoping to replace with cheaper players this season? 

Thanks in advance. 

I don't have any inside knowledge and I'm not pretending to either.

The story the Bombers floated was that Muamba and Westerman are too expensive. If we have a bunch of SMS space, it wouldn't matter and either would have been upgrades over the guys we kept or brought in.

The SMS was brought up when we decided that we didn't need to keep Bond and Heath, cuz those guys wanted to be paid.

Part of the story that Walters told at his press conference was 'fitting' draft picks in under the SMS. 

Twitter folks have made several references to the Bombers not having much SMS room.

Walters talked about how much 2 first rounders would have cost last year after he picked Gray who was going to the NFL.

We picked up a lot of salary with Durant, Bowman, Fenner and the rest of the BC cuts. Certainly more than we got rid of with Bond, Heath, Westerman, Hurl and Denmark.

BTW: Just cuz I don't love love love everything the Bombers do, doesn't mean that I hate 9 out of 10 things. For examples, I like that we didn't pay Westerman 240K, but hate that we didn't pony up 185K for Muamba. I think Bowman and Fenner are great additions, but hate that we paid a bunch of money for Durant who has been washed up for years. I like that we signed Demski, but hate that we overpaid him. I hate that we kept Richie Hall as DC.

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/03/whos-talking-to-who-cfl-prospects-and-teams-that-interviewed-them/

Walters et al are pretty thorough...

I like the trade - there will be a very good player available at 12 and I think we end up with a higher pick next year

For instant ST/maybe rotational - Bennett, Mackie, Banner 

For futures - One of Shepley and Hunter be there

we moved up in the second to most likely be able to grab who we are targeting at a better possibility at 12 than 16...and someone who probably wouldn't have been taken in the first anyway..so why pay 1st round money when you don't have to

2 first rounders next year iin a draft is always a good thing too

I honestly don't see how anyone could look at this realistically and say it's not a win for us.

Essentially, unless you believe BC is making the Grey Cup next year, we delayed our first rounder by a year in order to move up in the first (2019) and second (2018) rounds of the draft. That's easily stated without even really digging too deep into the issue and looks like a win.

Then we go deeper. This year's draft is dominated by offensive linemen and while you truly can never have enough, we certainly don't have a roster spot for one this year meaning one of a few things - we don't maximize the value of our first rounder, we risk losing them by putting them on the PR or we have to make a move to fit them on the team. You could argue we were going to go for another positional player like a Bennett, Petermann, Onyeka, etc but the reality is that if we're not too in love with one specific guy, the odds of one of those names being there 5 spots later are pretty good. If not, we can look towards a futures guy like a Shepley or a Hunter which (if the speculation is true) might be where we were looking at number 7 anyways in order to avoid a salary at this very moment.

All of that could potentially benefit us this year without even considering the fact that it's very likely we could end up with a top 3 pick next year (in a much better draft year) thanks to this trade.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I honestly don't see how anyone could look at this realistically and say it's not a win for us.

Essentially, unless you believe BC is making the Grey Cup next year, we delayed our first rounder by a year in order to move up in the first (2019) and second (2018) rounds of the draft. That's easily stated without even really digging too deep into the issue and looks like a win.

Then we go deeper. This year's draft is dominated by offensive linemen and while you truly can never have enough, we certainly don't have a roster spot for one this year meaning one of a few things - we don't maximize the value of our first rounder, we risk losing them by putting them on the PR or we have to make a move to fit them on the team. You could argue we were going to go for another positional player like a Bennett, Petermann, Onyeka, etc but the reality is that if we're not too in love with one specific guy, the odds of one of those names being there 5 spots later are pretty good. If not, we can look towards a futures guy like a Shepley or a Hunter which (if the speculation is true) might be where we were looking at number 7 anyways in order to avoid a salary at this very moment.

All of that could potentially benefit us this year without even considering the fact that it's very likely we could end up with a top 3 pick next year (in a much better draft year) thanks to this trade.

The only issue I have with that is one that TBurg raised, if salary is part of the equation ( and it is obviously a consideration), are we expecting money to come off of the books after this season to be able to afford another 2 first round picks? Both the cost and the roster spot?

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

The only issue I have with that is one that TBurg raised, if salary is part of the equation ( and it is obviously a consideration), are we expecting money to come off of the books after this season to be able to afford another 2 first round picks? Both the cost and the roster spot?

Landscape of the draft as it relates to salary could change entirely this off-season. Cap could take another jump beyond the 50k that has been typical recently as well.

Tough to say what's going to happen. Makes it difficult to speculate on affordability next year. If they go to a slotted system, it's a lot easier to try and fit a fixed number into your cap.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't have any inside knowledge and I'm not pretending to either.

But you said: 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

So, you obviously are in-the-know. Please share, we won't tell anyone. 

Edited by JCon

Trying to envision who will be there at 12 for us is interesting ...

Obviously Rutherford/Chapman are likely to go top 2 and then 9 picks between them and us ... Shepley/Hunter/Knevel/Godber are there as the futures guys ... then you have Korte/Sceviour/Pickett on the offensive line as today guys. I feel like Hamilton is pretty likely to use one of their three picks before us to draft David Mackie, if he makes it to them. 

Could see it going Rutherford to HAM, Chapman to MTL, Korte to BC in the top three. I don't see BC using 3 on a futures guy, because they have two picks in the first now and I feel like they'll want max value on the first one. After that, it really all depends on Ottawa. I don't think Onyeka is making it past 5, but if he goes to Ottawa at 4 then I could see Laurent going to SSK at 5. I don't think Ottawa to Laurent makes much sense personally, but you never know how they view him. Either way, any team picking Laurent before us is a good pick for us, since he's likely not a guy who has much stock in our war room.

There are five I would be happy with at 12 that I think are realistic ... Bennett, Simonise, Shepley, Hunter, Petermann ... I don't think we are likely to take Simonise as he is a lot like a Lemar Durant, but maybe we think we have the right room for a personality like that this time around. 

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

But you said: 

So, you obviously are in-the-know. Please share, we won't tell anyone. 

You're obviously not reading more than the first sentence of  my post then re-stating your stupid idea again.

If you want to be a cheerleader, you might as well pick up the pompoms, put on the short skirt, and learn the dance routines, cuz your current routine has gotten really old.