Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So which OL would you sign then?  Comfortable with Neufeld/Couture?

My gut says keep Bond - sign Demski and Lafrance - I know thats not the plan though...

2 OL,  RB, 2 REC, S, DE/DT rotation

Can we trust the injury bug stays away from Demski tho...I think Neufeld has got a bad rap for injuries up to 2015...since then he has been good tho albeit it in limited play, but sometimes **** just happens and you cant escape an injury...

As for the 4 olineman...I guess you see what 2019 brings in terms of guys available and how goes performed this year. If Neufeld stays upright and plays well...Couture shows he is starter material or a solid 6th..Spooner keeps developing and say Gray is back, or we drafted another stud...you may have the depth right there to go 4 Nationals without even dipping into the free agent pool.

If we go Bond this year tho...we sacrifice either Westerman and or Heath this year, and my mind tells me the absence of Bond leaves us stronger as a team than without one or both of Heath/wESTERMAN

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

Can we trust the injury bug stays away from Demski tho...I think Neufeld has got a bad rap for injuries up to 2015...since then he has been good tho albeit it in limited play, but sometimes **** just happens and you cant escape an injury...

As for the 4 olineman...I guess you see what 2019 brings in terms of guys available and how goes performed this year. If Neufeld stays upright and plays well...Couture shows he is starter material or a solid 6th..Spooner keeps developing and say Gray is back, or we drafted another stud...you may have the depth right there to go 4 Nationals without even dipping into the free agent pool.

If we go Bond this year tho...we sacrifice either Westerman and or Heath this year, and my mind tells me the absence of Bond leaves us stronger as a team than without one or both of Heath/wESTERMAN

I'm worried that we're moving on from all three though...

I'd feel pretty good about our ratio with Adams/Dressler/Harris-Normand/LaFrance-Flanders/Givens-Coates/Demski-Wolitarsky

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Only MLB left I'd look at is Larry Dean... and I'm not sure he's an upgrade on JSK

Adam Konar has got to be our primary target right now...

I don't know what the Esks. plan to do with their ratio but the only other Natl. option they have at LB is Cory Greenwood, so I'd be surprised if they let Konar walk after already signing Sherritt to play MLB.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Still young and relatively unproven but has the skill and potential.

I guess depends on where we are wanting to go with the ratio and also...do we have an adequate back-up who could step in if he goes down without messing with ratio...or leaving us weak

Best bet is to land the stud import..and have guys on roster we could shuffle and move if he got hurt..I would have no problem with JSK sliding into the middle and Wild filling his spot..as opposed to a lesser talented back-up canadian role player having to step in.

Hopefully where our ratio is headed that maybe by next year we are going 4 nationals on the oline and basically only needing Loffler as the National on defense...

With what we are paying Hurl, it shouldn't be difficult to be competitive for Konar's services, and if we could get Dean or Reed as well....

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm really curious on how Saskatchewan can afford going after so many guys with big contracts?    I'd assume Adarius Bowman still carries a hefty price tag ... how can they afford to get them all?

For Chris Jones and the Riders, the salary cap is just a helpful   suggestion.

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m expecting we’ll add Demski, one of Woods/Dean/Reed and one of Daniels/Bowman/maybe Criner I guess ...

Hoping somehow that equates to us also being able to sign Westerman or Thomas, but who knows ... I doubt it.

That's kind of how I see it...I think we grab Dean...Demski...Gill and most likely Daniels or Criner..I say we opt out of Bowman just for the fact we know we need Westerman for multiple reasons and truthfully if we address linebacker and keep d-line intact we can live without Heath.  

Walker is young and showed some real flashes and his miscues were soley due to his age and being in a totally new environment and league...a big thing to absorb for a 21 yr old coming to the Canadian game at one of the toughest positions to translate from U.S ball.

Gaitor and Clarke give us experienced depth and I actually thjink those were 2 very sneaky good moves. 

Now maybe we have more flexability and $$ available to really make a splash in free agency and land a lot more...we shall see but from what I hear we are sitting really good sms wise and a lot of our re-ups and extensions don't really reflect much on what 2018 SMS is available...That is why the decision to let Hurl//Thomas..JFG...Normand  walk is key and benefits us more on a salary standpoint and a upgrade in skill

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think we grab Dean...Demski...Gill and most likely Daniels or Criner..

If we end up with this after next Tuesday, I'm gonna be preff f***ing happy......we'll have a pretty good looking roster (on paper) going toward mini-camp...

darvin Adams was a huge meh by most...as well as a who???

we all know how that worked out...tho I think  the same as I did when we grabbed Adams that was diamond in the rough...put him as a dedicated member of your top three and I bet he shines.

He's the type of guy whom if you get involved and keep involved will produce...real good on jump balls and has a big catch radius...stuck on the Raidrs active roster for 12 games one year so must have some skill...he was just buried in Ottawa so didn't get a lot of reps

nobody..they just knew/know it has happened before so were using media i think to try and make argos look bad and have their shot...if there actually even is one.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy to get out of a contract...then turn around when the "opportunities" didn't pan out and shop services around to all CFL teams to get the best deal they could...which leads one to agree with not letting this occur as guys could start doing this more often then not...and bring back the option window so that if you do explore an "opportunity" and it doesn't turn out for you then you are tied to your CFL team that next year...and only play elsewhere if they deal you...or you sit out and pout

4 hours ago, Booch said:

darvin Adams was a huge meh by most...as well as a who???

we all know how that worked out...tho I think  the same as I did when we grabbed Adams that was diamond in the rough...put him as a dedicated member of your top three and I bet he shines.

He's the type of guy whom if you get involved and keep involved will produce...real good on jump balls and has a big catch radius...stuck on the Raidrs active roster for 12 games one year so must have some skill...he was just buried in Ottawa so didn't get a lot of reps

Criner had a couple of impressive games with the RB's in the second half of the season but overall his numbers were mediocre.  This may indicate he's ready to break out and establish himself or it may mean he's an inconsistent performer.  Either bargain or bust, he's got the physical tools but it's not a given that he would be the impact receiver the Bombers need to add this season.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne