In Case You Missed It.....Parts 1 & 2

Mr Dee

29 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I've never seen a football coach with his demeanor before, he was born to be an accountant named Murray that simply showed up at the wrong job interview. 

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/11/19/trestman_nov-19/

I enjoyed that he pointed out that the Rider penalties are what gave them all their yardage because they really only had one play in the drive (Wilder). Awesome.

He said they never stopped trying to run the ball. 

On 11/19/2017 at 12:37 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jennings to double his salary to $300,000 next season? What a freaking waste of money for an underperforming, overrated qb who doesn't win.  

David Braley grinding the Lions into the ground is so Toronto Argos.

Jacques Chapdelaine wanting to cut Nik Lewis & Ernest Jackson just shows he doesn't care about what players did in the past. He's a hard ass do it my way or the highway head coach. Unfortunately for him the highway came first.

Hes a guy that If i was a desperate team Id take a shot on. Id rather him then collaros, or durant. WIth their age Id consider him to replace ray, or glenn should they retire (they should). If i was montreal Id be willing to risk 300k on him. Any one else Id want a discount And a steep one. 

Not only what they have done, what they can do. I would have taken either over denny and down on the WR depth chart this year. Basically any one not named adams or dressler. That offense was hot trash. 

14 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think his demeanour is comparable to O'sheas. The one difference is Trestman is just so well spoken. You can tell he's highly intelligent. 

That is not the one difference. Trestman's coaching resume is phenomenal.

CAREER HEADLINES:

• Fourth all-time highest winning percentage by a Head Coach in the history of the CFL
  • Two-Time Grey Cup Champion
  • 2009 CFL Coach of the Year
  • QBs to have career years under Marc Trestman: Anthony Calvillo, Bernie Kosar, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Rich Gannon. Also worked with quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Jason Campbell, to prepare for NFL Draft.

CFL EXPERIENCE:

• Originally hired in December of 2007 by Jim Popp to be the Head Coach of the Alouettes.
  • In his five years (2008-2012) as HC of the Alouettes, he amassed a 59-31 (.656 winning percentage) regular season record, made the playoffs every year, appeared in three Grey Cups (2008, 2009 and 2010), and won two (2009, 2010).
  • Trestman led the Als to back-to-back championships, the first team to accomplish the feat since the Argos did it in 1996 and 1997.
  • Credited with extending career of future Hall of Fame QB and all-time passing yards leader Anthony Calvillo.
  • Trestman left after the 2012 season to be the Head Coach of the Chicago Bears.

CFL ACCOLADES:

• 2008, 2009, 2010 CFL Coach of the Year Finalist
  • 2009 CFL Coach of the Year (15-3 record, won the Grey Cup)

CFL STATS & RECORDS:

All-Time Highest Winning Percentage by a Head Coach (Min. 70 regular season games)

RANK COACH RECORD WINNING %
1 Hugh Campbell 70-21-5 .755
2 John Hufnagel 102-41-1 .712
3 Ralph Sazio 49-20-1 .707
4 Marc Trestman 59-31-0 .656
5 Wally Buono 266-145-3 .646

Additional Information:

• 21st in all-time regular season wins with 59 and that coming in just five seasons.
  • Among the Top 21 coaches in wins, only Hugh Campbell (6 years) and Trestman (5 years) reached that ranking in fewer than eight seasons.
  • Trestman’s percentage of reaching the Grey Cup among all coaches with at least five CFL seasons is tied for #3 all-time: Hugh Campbell 6/6 years (100%), Ralph Sazio 4/5 years (80%), Marc Trestman at 3/5 years (60%, tied with Bud Grant 6/10 years).
  • .600 winning percentage in the playoffs (5 games) and went 2-1 in 3 Grey Cup games.
  • Four first place finishes in five seasons with Montreal.
  • From 2008 to 2012, his Montreal clubs had the second-best winning percentage in the CFL at .656, just back of John Hufnagel’s 59-30-1 .661 mark.
  • One of only four head coaches to record 10+ wins in every season of his career (Campbell, Hufnagel, and Frank Ivy are the others).

2008-2012 CFL Offensive Statistical Rankings:

CATEGORY 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Yards/Game 1 1 2 1 4
Points/Game 1 1 2 1 4
Passing Yards/Game 2 1 1 1 2
Fewest Sacks Allowed/Game 1 3 3 2 1

NFL/NCAA EXPERIENCE:

NFL/NCAA Head Coaches Trestman Worked Under: Bud Grant, Jon Gruden, Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Ray Perkins, Marty Schottenheimer, Bud Carson, Jerry Burns, George Seifert, Bobby Ross, Vince Tobin, Dave Wannstedt, Chuck Amato, John Harbaugh.

Notable Coaches Trestman Worked Alongside: Jim Harbaugh (Head Coach, Michigan), David Shaw (Head Coach, Standford), Pete Carroll (Head Coach, Seattle Seahawks), Tom Moore (Long time NFL OC, known for running Colts’ offence with Peyton Manning), Monte Kiffin (Long time, successful defensive coach in NFL). Played quarterback behind Tony Dungy at the University of Minnesota.

1975-1978: College Quarterback

Played backup quarterback for the University of Minnesota for three seasons and transferred to Minnesota State for his senior year.

1981-1984: University of Miami (FL) – Volunteer Assistant, Quarterbacks Coach

Began coaching career as a volunteer assistant and was quickly promoted to quarterbacks coach in 1983. Oversaw the development of future Super Bowl champion Bernie Kosar. Helped Hurricanes win first national championship in 1983. Under Trestman’s tutelage, Kosar was selected in first round of NFL Draft.

1985-1986: Minnesota Vikings – Running Backs Coach

Got his first coaching experience in the NFL working under NFL and CFL Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant.

1987: Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Quarterbacks Coach

First-time quarterbacks coach in NFL.

1988-1989: Cleveland Browns – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

Reunited with Kosar and helped the Browns make the playoffs (10–6 record) in 1988. Promoted to offensive coordinator the next year when Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and the Browns reached the AFC championship.

1990-1991: Minnesota Vikings – Quarterbacks Coach

Worked with quarterback Rich Gannon, who improved his QB rating from 68.9 in 1990 to 81.5 the next year.

1992-1994: Out of coaching

1995-1996: San Francisco 49ers – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

Returned to coaching with Steve Young at the helm of the 49ers offense.  The 1995 team led the NFL in scoring (475) and passing yards (4,779).

1997: Detroit Lions – Quarterbacks Coach

Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, which was fourth most in team history.

1998-2000: Arizona Cardinals – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

In 1998, quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982. Arizona won its first postseason game in 51 years.

2001-2003: Oakland Raiders – Senior Assistant, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach      

When promoted to offensive coordinator in 2002, helped lead the Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII. Raiders led NFL in total offense (389.8 yards per game) and passing (279.7 per game), and quarterback Rich Gannon won the MVP award.

2004: Miami Dolphins – Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks

2005-2006: North Carolina State – Offensive Coordinator

Helped recruit current Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, who began at NC State before going to Wisconsin.

2008-2012: Montreal Alouettes (CFL) – Head Coach

See above.

2013-2014: Chicago Bears – Head Coach

In first year at the helm, the Bears offense set franchise records in net yards (6,109), gross passing yards (4,450), net passing yards (4,281), completion percentage (64.4), passing touchdowns (32), passer rating (96.9) and first downs (344). Finished second in team history with 445 points. But despite the re-birth of the Bears offence, Chicago’s defence allowed the second-most points in the NFL, leading to an 8-8 record.

2015-2016: Baltimore Ravens – Offensive Coordinator

Baltimore was 14th in the league in offense in 2015, averaging 359.3 yards per game, despite key injuries to starting offensive players including quarterback Joe Flacco, wide receiver Steve Smith and running back Justin Forsett.

Herb Zurkowsky- Montreal Gazette

For the seventh time since 2012, the Alouettes are seeking a warm body to coach their team. After Dan Hawkins, Jim Popp, Tom Higgins, Popp again, Jacques Chapdelaine and Kavis Reed, fans would hope that one of these times the organization’s bound to get it right.

With Paul LaPolice signing a contract extension with Winnipeg that includes a financially hefty escape clause, (???) that leaves Devone Claybrooks, Corey Chamblin, Marcel Bellefeuille, Jamie Elizondo and Mark Washington.

This could be a considerable list, including the likes of Tracy Ham, Tom Clements and a number of other CFL coordinators, such as Mike Benevides, Marcus Brady, Khari Jones, Richie Hall and Mark Nelson. And don’t forget Laval head coach Glen Constantin 

Here are some names to consider — Stubler, a favourite of Reed’s; Chris Palmer, who once coached with the Als (1983) before going to the NFL and was a Cleveland Browns’ head coach; Western head coach Greg Marshall, the other Vanier Cup finalist and a former Hamilton head coach. Even Danny Barrett, who’s coaching Miami’s running backs and is a former Saskatchewan head coach. 

Reed has said he wants the hiring completed by mid-December..

(Hell, it might take him that long to locate all those names..)

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Herb Zurkowsky- Montreal Gazette

For the seventh time since 2012, the Alouettes are seeking a warm body to coach their team. After Dan Hawkins, Jim Popp, Tom Higgins, Popp again, Jacques Chapdelaine and Kavis Reed, fans would hope that one of these times the organization’s bound to get it right.

With Paul LaPolice signing a contract extension with Winnipeg that includes a financially hefty escape clause, (???) that leaves Devone Claybrooks, Corey Chamblin, Marcel Bellefeuille, Jamie Elizondo and Mark Washington.

This could be a considerable list, including the likes of Tracy Ham, Tom Clements and a number of other CFL coordinators, such as Mike Benevides, Marcus Brady, Khari Jones, Richie Hall and Mark Nelson. And don’t forget Laval head coach Glen Constantin 

Here are some names to consider — Stubler, a favourite of Reed’s; Chris Palmer, who once coached with the Als (1983) before going to the NFL and was a Cleveland Browns’ head coach; Western head coach Greg Marshall, the other Vanier Cup finalist and a former Hamilton head coach. Even Danny Barrett, who’s coaching Miami’s running backs and is a former Saskatchewan head coach. 

Reed has said he wants the hiring completed by mid-December..

(Hell, it might take him that long to locate all those names..)

I can just see Greg Marshall jumping at the chance to coach the Als. I mean, can't you??? Stubler? He's almost 70. Would Claybrooks leave the Stamps to go to the Als??? I think it all comes down to all those guys on the list feeling that Reed has the capability to bring in players, how bad the qb situation actually is & if they have faith in Reed as a GM. 

Are assistant coaches being hired as head coaches too young & not ready for the position? We've seen Paul LaPolice as HC have his issues with indecision as well as strange play calling when he was Bombers HC. We saw Dave Dickenson's decision to go with Andrew Buckley on the goal line that failed in last year's GC. We saw Corey Chamblin win a GC then flames out 2 years later as HC of the Riders. We've seen Jason Maas totally lose it on the sidelines & make that strange FG call yesterday. Most of these young coaches still want to be coordinators instead of just head coaches. They don't have the experience of head coaches in the past. They seem to have a tendency of loading too much responsibilities on themselves. The majority of today's CFL head coaches are generally in their early 40's. Should older & more experienced coaches be hired instead? Is hiring young coaches a liability because they lack the experience to delegate? I see a lot of stubbornness & ego when I look at Maas & Jones to their detriment. I see the same with Reed as well. Of course, I saw a lot of the same stubbornness & ego in Kent Austin as well & he's 54.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Are assistant coaches being hired as head coaches too young & not ready for the position? We've seen Paul LaPolice as HC have his issues with indecision as well as strange play calling when he was Bombers HC. We saw Dave Dickenson's decision to go with Andrew Buckley on the goal line that failed in last year's GC. We saw Corey Chamblin win a GC then flames out 2 years later as HC of the Riders. We've seen Jason Maas totally lose it on the sidelines & make that strange FG call yesterday. Most of these young coaches still want to be coordinators instead of just head coaches. They don't have the experience of head coaches in the past. They seem to have a tendency of loading too much responsibilities on themselves. The majority of today's CFL head coaches are generally in their early 40's. Should older & more experienced coaches be hired instead? Is hiring young coaches a liability because they lack the experience to delegate? I see a lot of stubbornness & ego when I look at Maas & Jones to their detriment. I see the same with Reed as well. Of course, I saw a lot of the same stubbornness & ego in Kent Austin as well & he's 54.

No look back the majority of great coaches in this league have been a HC at young age Grant Campbell Wally

12 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Some folks are trying to use this photo as evidence of an infraction on Kevin Glenn. I see this photo as visual proof that there was NO infraction from that angle..

B43_BE864-_B2_A4-4_F2_B-827_C-498_A7_A47

I guess I see the point but I would argue this picture looks worse than what actually happened... in this pic it looks like Butler is clothes-lining Glenn at full speed... but what actually happened is he pulled away from the hit and brushed his arm along Glenn's chest...

so in reality, this picture proves nothing... 

Edited by bearpants