In Case You Missed It.....Parts 1 & 2

Mr Dee

On 11/20/2017 at 9:07 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Are assistant coaches being hired as head coaches too young & not ready for the position? We've seen Paul LaPolice as HC have his issues with indecision as well as strange play calling when he was Bombers HC. We saw Dave Dickenson's decision to go with Andrew Buckley on the goal line that failed in last year's GC. We saw Corey Chamblin win a GC then flames out 2 years later as HC of the Riders. We've seen Jason Maas totally lose it on the sidelines & make that strange FG call yesterday. Most of these young coaches still want to be coordinators instead of just head coaches. They don't have the experience of head coaches in the past. They seem to have a tendency of loading too much responsibilities on themselves. The majority of today's CFL head coaches are generally in their early 40's. Should older & more experienced coaches be hired instead? Is hiring young coaches a liability because they lack the experience to delegate? I see a lot of stubbornness & ego when I look at Maas & Jones to their detriment. I see the same with Reed as well. Of course, I saw a lot of the same stubbornness & ego in Kent Austin as well & he's 54.

Old coaches fail too.  You can go back a few years and look at some formerly successful, older coaches who were hired and it didn't work out.  Charlie Taaffe in Hamilton, Don Matthews in his last stint in Toronto... Greg Marshall was 55 when he became head coach in Saskatchewan and that was a disaster.  Jacques Chapdelaine is 56, Tom Higgins was 60 and both flamed out hard in Montreal.

On the other hand you reference Dave Dickenson and point out one bad call, when overall he has had one of the most successful starts to a career for a head coach, ever.  Lapolice went to the Grey Cup in his second year as an HC.  Chamblin won it in his second year.  Chris Jones won it in his second year at only 48 years old.

I really don't think age has a whole lot to do with it.

31 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Old coaches fail too.  You can go back a few years and look at some formerly successful, older coaches who were hired and it didn't work out.  Charlie Taaffe in Hamilton, Don Matthews in his last stint in Toronto... Greg Marshall was 55 when he became head coach in Saskatchewan and that was a disaster.  Jacques Chapdelaine is 56, Tom Higgins was 60 and both flamed out hard in Montreal.

On the other hand you reference Dave Dickenson and point out one bad call, when overall he has had one of the most successful starts to a career for a head coach, ever.  Lapolice went to the Grey Cup in his second year as an HC.  Chamblin won it in his second year.  Chris Jones won it in his second year at only 48 years old.

yeah age matters so much less than ability. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Agree. It's experience that counts, not necessarily age. 

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

"The likely scenario for the #Ticats next season is Jeremiah Masoli as their #1 at QB being challenged by Johnny Manziel." - @TSNDaveNaylor #CFL

wonder if Collaros wants to backup Nichols? lol.

pipe dream I'm sure but I think he is or will be an excellent reclamation project.. I don't think hes been completely Willy'd yet..

On 11/23/2017 at 5:27 PM, SPuDS said:

as much as i've liked Medlock in his time here, I do wish we would have waited it out with Hajrullahu.   I know he was atrocious for us that one season but hes looking pretty solid now.

Im happy for his success. As I am for sergio. Kickers are a strange breed though. You never know if they would have worked out if they stayed, or if they would work out if they came back. I half expect medlock not to be back. He came out with the exact wrong attitude for a guy coming off the worst year in his career up here. Especially for a guy whose paid like a star skill position player. 3 teams in 7 years to boot. 

Its allways a good sign to see ex players saying good things about the franchise though.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:03 PM, SPuDS said:

pipe dream I'm sure but I think he is or will be an excellent reclamation project.. I don't think hes been completely Willy'd yet..

Personally not the guy Id want. Also dont think hed take the kind of money we will have to offer. 

On 11/23/2017 at 4:03 PM, Noeller said:

"The likely scenario for the #Ticats next season is Jeremiah Masoli as their #1 at QB being challenged by Johnny Manziel." - @TSNDaveNaylor #CFL

I wonder what the challenge is going to be. beer pong?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, SPuDS said:

Not likely but I'd be happy with Durant as our backup to Nichols while we bring in a brand new developmental third string qb. 

On 11/23/2017 at 8:30 PM, rebusrankin said:

I hear the guy who designed that jersey is living in a box under a bridge with the guy who invented New Coke and the guy who ran Powell Motors and introduced that terrible car that sold for $82,000.

I remember that guy. His name was Herb. My understanding was that he was living in a box under a bridge, but then he invented a device which translated baby babble into coherent words for parents and made it big again.