Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

40 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Whats your point.. All teams find players who arent good enough. 

You are correct, the team will go through its fair share of studs and duds. My point is how long each of these guys managed to stick around -

1. Carmichael - Played in 10 games in 2017 where he was woefully inadequate. Interestingly he was replaced by Walker, perfect example of the team successfully moving on from a bad player.

2. Addison Richards - Was with us since 2015, he didn't even play a snap in 2017, also he dumped us (he retired).

3. Davis - Also here since 2015 and has since been cut.

4. Kris Bastien - He was with us for all of the 2015 season - he still hasn't played a single snap in the CFL for any team. We cut him just before the start of the 2016 season.

I think we need to learn to cut our losses on players that just don't cut it and move on when something just isn't there.

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

You are correct, the team will go through its fair share of studs and duds. My point is how long each of these guys managed to stick around -

1. Carmichael - Played in 10 games in 2017 where he was woefully inadequate. Interestingly he was replaced by Walker, perfect example of the team successfully moving on from a bad player.

2. Addison Richards - Was with us since 2015, he didn't even play a snap in 2017, also he dumped us (he retired).

3. Davis - Also here since 2015 and has since been cut.

4. Kris Bastien - He was with us for all of the 2015 season - he still hasn't played a single snap in the CFL for any team. We cut him just before the start of the 2016 season.

I think we need to learn to cut our losses on players that just don't cut it and move on when something just isn't there.

Agreed, but we haven't had the depth to do that, and some cases (like Carmichael and Davis) are real posers.

14 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Calgary, Saskatchewan, Edmonton 

Mitchell, Durant, Ray 

Ray was ages ago and since moved on. Sask was ages ago also. 

I meant specifically in the year 2017 2018... 

BC? Yup. Lulay and Jennings both BC finds 

Edmonton? Nope. Reilly was a BC find 

Glenn in Sask? Nope. Bridge? Nope 

Nichols? Nope 

BLM in Calgary? Yup 

Ray in Toronto? Nope 

Collaros in Hamilton? Nope. Masoli? Wasnt he an Eskimo before

Harris in Ottawa? Nope 

Durant in Montreal? Nope. 

So wow 2 maybe 3 of 9 teams had homegrown QBs. 

Fun fact: who the **** cares where your QB starts out.. Would you cheer harder if Nichols was a Bomber find? Like honestly who really cares 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, tracker said:

Agreed, but we haven't had the depth to do that, and some cases (like Carmichael and Davis) are real posers.

And you with your vast knowledge and experience in pro football can tell this immediately right? For sure... Cuz You the man.. Lol @ you using the word poser tho.. Funny stuff Rider boy. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

You’re right we should never allow players to try and grow into their own here. All star award in your first game or buh bye

I feel like we don’t do this enough with receivers... and then give too much rope to defensive players

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Hes a good special teams guy. Dont think he'd be starting but... He's a capable special teams guy for sure. 

For the right price (obviously) I would re-sign Hurl. Special teams and a back-up MLB that knows the system and carries the right passport.

I don't want him as the starting MLB but he could provide NI coverage.

MOS obviously likes him.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

If we re-sign hurl and heath or weatherman walks I’m going to vomit

Why? Hurl is a backup CDN... Westerman and Heath probably want huge raises... Hurl could probably be had for cheap. Signing Hurl has no effect on Westerman or Heath

Edited by Goalie

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hurls replacement on ST would be league minimum...  hurl would be 70-80k imo

i want konar or a DI in our LB core

Why would "Hurl's replacement on ST" be league minimum?

Not that there are concrete dots connecting the two but it could easily be argued that Waggoner was replaced by Mike Miller, and there is no way he is making league minimum.  The only NI's who would make the league minimum are late round picks or undrafted players on their first CFL contract.

The goal is to build the best roster we can.  All 60 players, not just 24.  There is a world where a version of that roster could include Hurl.  And that's why he's still a maybe.  The dollars would have to be right, and he already took a paycut last season, so he may not be game for taking another one this year.

It sounds like Westerman could be a Bomber again if his price tag comes down.  And it sounds like the raise he's asking for is far more than what not signing everyone's favourite whipping boy would save.

For both of them and JFG, they might simply end up at free agency, find out what their market value is, be disappointed, and choose to re-sign with the Bombers.  Maybe the Bombers and Westerman are $25,000 apart right now.  He goes to FA, finds out the most any team will give him is only $10,000 more than what the Bombers have offered, decides that hardly seems worth it, gives Walters a call, they split the difference and he leaves that $5000 on the table to not deal with the hassle of moving, new teammates, coaches, etc.  And then the Bombers know they have locked down one more spot for the ratio, and no longer have to plan around the possibility of keeping Hurl or JFG around for this season, and can use those dollars on other FA needs.

That is one way that Hurl and Westerman might impact each other's re-signings.  But it won't be because the Bombers could just take Hurl's money and give it to Westerman.  For whatever reasons, that has been ruled out for now, likely just because it's too much.

30 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Why would "Hurl's replacement on ST" be league minimum?

Not that there are concrete dots connecting the two but it could easily be argued that Waggoner was replaced by Mike Miller, and there is no way he is making league minimum.  The only NI's who would make the league minimum are late round picks or undrafted players on their first CFL contract.

The goal is to build the best roster we can.  All 60 players, not just 24.  There is a world where a version of that roster could include Hurl.  And that's why he's still a maybe.  The dollars would have to be right, and he already took a paycut last season, so he may not be game for taking another one this year.

It sounds like Westerman could be a Bomber again if his price tag comes down.  And it sounds like the raise he's asking for is far more than what not signing everyone's favourite whipping boy would save.

For both of them and JFG, they might simply end up at free agency, find out what their market value is, be disappointed, and choose to re-sign with the Bombers.  Maybe the Bombers and Westerman are $25,000 apart right now.  He goes to FA, finds out the most any team will give him is only $10,000 more than what the Bombers have offered, decides that hardly seems worth it, gives Walters a call, they split the difference and he leaves that $5000 on the table to not deal with the hassle of moving, new teammates, coaches, etc.  And then the Bombers know they have locked down one more spot for the ratio, and no longer have to plan around the possibility of keeping Hurl or JFG around for this season, and can use those dollars on other FA needs.

That is one way that Hurl and Westerman might impact each other's re-signings.  But it won't be because the Bombers could just take Hurl's money and give it to Westerman.  For whatever reasons, that has been ruled out for now, likely just because it's too much.

After that long explanation, hurl still sucks and I don’t want to see a world where he plays MLB for the bombers again...

miller and miles are the best ST guys in the league - we don’t need Hurl just for that role

will still need space for our draft picks and the young DBs like branding and conteh 

Updated want list...

1. Adam Konar - guy is just starting to reach his potential - I'm fine with Wild/JSK in the middle

2. Cam Thorn - I am not sold on Neufeld/Couture as adequate replacements for Bond at all...   Thorn has exp at C/LG

3. Gascon-Nadon or Westerman - really like this guy, would be great rotational pairing with Corney... otherwise bring back Westerman

4. Nic Demski - huge potential, would be good combo with Wolitarsky 

5. TJ Heath - Boundary was locked down last year...  Boundary HB is a hard position, don't see anyone on the roster that can just step in...  otherwise, maybe Hightower

6.  Messam or LaFrance - Messam might end up as a 'value pick given injuries and age...  $140k worth it?  $80k for Lafrance?

7. Nic Shorthill - very solid ST guy... if we want purely ST, sign Shortill - way better than Hurl...

8.  Christophe Normand - I like the way this guy plays, I'd re-sign him

#Eskimos GM Brock Sunderland says he has had extensive conversations with pending free-agent LB Adam Konar. Mentioned he has some Canadian depth behind Konar. Could also flip the WIL LB to an American spot with Korey Jones or Terrance Bullitt. #CFL

Reading between the lines, Konar likely hits free-agency on Tuesday. Not sure he's coming back. #Eskimos #CFL

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Okay, fewer words:

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

After that long explanation, hurl still sucks and I don’t want to see a world where he plays MLB for the bombers again...

Thing I didn't say...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

miller and miles are the best ST guys in the league

While very good, that's a totally unprovable opinion...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

miller and miles are the best ST guys in the league - we don’t need Hurl just for that role

Need 12 players, not just 2.  Hurl is as good at ST as almost anyone else.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

will still need space for our draft picks and the young DBs like branding and conteh 

DBs can't play non-SAM LB.  All non-QB positions need NI backups.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I don't care if Hurl returns or not.  I think it's unlikely that he signs a contract for 80,000 after already going from 120 to 90,000 last year, and I think it's unlikely the Bombers offer him more than that.  There are things he does well and things he doesn't do well.  My points are simple:

1) It is not in the interests of the Bombers to take your Hurl-spite into consideration when signing players.

2) Attaching Hurl's name in any manner to our possible inability to re-sign Westerman is total nonsense.