When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

From the CBC website back in November:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea confirmed at a news conference Wednesday that offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice had signed a contract extension during the current season, and that defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall also remains under contract for 2018 — but he didn't entirely rule out changes in either of those positions.

Edited by Jacquie

On 1/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, BigBlue said:

Was/Is Stubler too old at age 68 to be a viable OC? 

uh... wut?  has dementia set in and he wants to flip to the other side of the x's and o's??

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

never get tired of this lol

50 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

No this is my comment on it .... Stubler is a prize duck

at what.. OC?  I guess his defensive mindset would be interesting to use against other defenses but I kinda think you'd want someone with a bit more, oh, I dunno, offensive skill sets to handle that side of the ball..

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

uh... wut?  has dementia set in and he wants to flip to the other side of the x's and o's??

never get tired of this lol

at what.. OC?  I guess his defensive mindset would be interesting to use against other defenses but I kinda think you'd want someone with a bit more, oh, I dunno, offensive skill sets to handle that side of the ball..

Stubler is a defensive guy. At 70, he'd never be an OC. It's funny just talking about it.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

there's no need to sign an extension "just because".......people just gotta calm down and see what happens.

The problem with calming downs means we accept another season of shitty defense. If our offense falls back even 10-15% in productivity & we have to live thru another year of what we have lived thru with Ritchie Hall's defense the past 2 years then a 12 win second place season in 2017 becomes a 9 win scramble for third place or crossover in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The problem with calming downs means we accept another season of shitty defense. If our offense falls back even 10-15% in productivity & we have to live thru another year of what we have lived thru with Ritchie Hall's defense the past 2 years then a 12 win second place season in 2017 becomes a 9 win scramble for third place or crossover in 2018. 

So your theory is that if you really really mad, O'Shea will somehow notice that and fire Hall to placate you?  Can't see how that doesn't work!

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

So your theory is that if you really really mad, O'Shea will somehow notice that and fire Hall to placate you?  Can't see how that doesn't work!

With new football seasons come change. Say the Riders under Collaros win 12 or 13 games? The Lions improve at home & on the road or the East Division actually becomes competitive with the West? Like I said, if our D doesn't improve under Hall & we fall back a bit on O then things change. It has nothing to do with placating me. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I With new football seasons come change. Say the Riders under Collaros win 12 or 13 games? The Lions improve at home & on the road or the East Division actually becomes competitive with the West? Like I said, if our D doesn't improve under Hall & we fall back a bit on O then things change. It has nothing to do with placating me. 

Agreed- status quo is just not good enough.  Much as detest I Chris Jones, he is reasonably astute when to comes to football, neither Calgary nor Edmonton are likely to get worse and Wally in Vancouver is still mostly Wally, so the Bombers had better hit the ground running. If the Bomber defence is as poor as it has been for the past three years, we will be boned again.

Edited by tracker

It ultimately about which teams  take significant steps to improve be it:

Trades, scouting, drafting, and coaching.  Making no decisions, and hoping things improve or change is like hoping the other teams either do the same or make bad decisions. Early indications are that other teams are changing.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/05/bombers-announce-coaching-staff-changes/

WINNIPEG, MB., January 5, 2018 –   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce club has named former CFL All-Star and two-time Grey Cup Champion Jordan Younger the team’s defensive backs coach. Younger most recently spent two seasons (2015-2016) in the same role with the Toronto Argonauts. Younger played 12 seasons in professional football including nine with the Toronto Argonauts (2004-07, 09-12) and Edmonton Eskimos (2008) in the Canadian Football League. He won two Grey Cup championships in Toronto in 2004 and 2012, and was a defensive captain in his final season.

“Jordan is a bright young football coach whom I know personally and have confidence in his abilities to teach, relate well to players, get his message and coaching points across,” said Head Coach Mike O’Shea. “He has a wealth of CFL experience as a player, playing at a high level and winning championships, and I’m excited to bring him into the fold on our staff.”

Glen Young will now coach the front seven – linebackers and defensive line. Young has spent the past two seasons as the club’s linebackers coach.

The club will not renew the contracts of defensive line coach Todd Howard, and defensive backs coach Tony Missick. The remaining coaching will return in their respective roles for the 2018 season.

“I wish to thank Tony and Todd for their dedication and work with our organization,” said Head Coach Mike O’Shea. “I’m excited to take a more active role with our defence and welcoming coach Younger to the organization.”

Guess whose back?