When do we fire Richie Hall?

BigBlue

When do we show Hall the door?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When do we show Hall the door?

• Immediately and decisively; before Grey cup week
    • Immediately after the Grey cup; thoughtfully
    • Before Christmas - - let's not torture the man
    • In January before the free agent deadline in February; let's make sure we can find somebody better first
    • Later in the spring when we are sure we have found somebody who will accept the job
    • No, let's re up him to another 3 year contract with a big bonus
    • Other: no swearwords please

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Sure, but it's a strange one. Money speaks louder when it comes to signing talent, anyway.

Actually, the observation was that you just like arguing with me for no real reason.

But yes, I agree - money played a much larger role in the Westerman signing than Richie Hall did.

So why not move Richie Hall to assistant GM and find a real d-coordinator?    I can't imagine any guy on D was happy playing on a terrible defense that gave up a crap load of yards and points?   I think the overall culture of how everything is ran and the influence from O'Shea is way more of a factor for free agent signings then people wanting to play for a nice guy?

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think we can all start accepting the reality that Richie Hall is coming back.

I don't know why everyone was convinced he wasn't coming back to start with. There was no indication that he was on the hot seat from Mike O'Shea, if he was going to be fired it was never going to happen quickly and the most likely scenario was always that he got another season. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no idea why this team just hangs onto deadwood coaches like Hall expecting them to pull off a miracle when they can't. He has a track record of bad defenses. There won't be any difference next season. 

Which coaches has this regime kept around that were considered dead wood?

Also maybe the club feels that the issue is with the players/talent and not with the coach and his system?

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Which coaches has this regime kept around that were considered dead wood?

Also maybe the club feels that the issue is with the players/talent and not with the coach and his system?

Hall is a good DC, hes proven it before.  Guys don't just forget how to be a coordinator.   I assume that the people in the know see something we don't and expect it to be corrected.  O'shea likes the defense that Hall runs and sounds like he wants to tweak it and have more of a say in it or at least thats the gist of what I took from his comments about Hall and his DC at the end of the year..  

we cannot deny it did create a ton of turnovers in the last 2 years.   it just has not been anywhere near consistent.

51 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Hall is a good DC, hes proven it before.  Guys don't just forget how to be a coordinator.  

we cannot deny it did create a ton of turnovers in the last 2 years.   it just has not been anywhere near consistent.

The problem is that Hall has always been an average D coordinator with a bend but don't break 'high mileage, high turnover' defence

Greg Marshall did not forget how to be a DC... the game just changed and he didn't...  looks like the same for Hall - he tries some nice aggressive schemes but always ends up reverting to deep zone coverage

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The problem is that Hall has always been an average D coordinator with a bend but don't break 'high mileage, high turnover' defence

Greg Marshall did not forget how to be a DC... the game just changed and he didn't...  looks like the same for Hall - he tries some nice aggressive schemes but always ends up reverting to deep zone coverage

ya Im inclined to agree with you on that. He hasn't evolved.  I think O'shea wants to force that for him.  Lapo was considered in the same thought prior to his last season here.  outdated offensive game plans that wouldn't work in the CFL anymore.   he adapted.. Can Richie?

43 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

ya Im inclined to agree with you on that. He hasn't evolved.  I think O'shea wants to force that for him.  Lapo was considered in the same thought prior to his last season here.  outdated offensive game plans that wouldn't work in the CFL anymore.   he adapted.. Can Richie?

Trouble is.... this last season was the one that was supposed to show he could.  We purposely set out to find 'man coverage' DBs and a 'traditional' MLB...

So what happened?

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Trouble is.... this last season was the one that was supposed to show he could.  We purposely set out to find 'man coverage' DBs and a 'traditional' MLB...

So what happened?

64 Dollar question. would have loved to have heard O'shea's reply to this question. 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no idea why this team just hangs onto deadwood coaches like Hall expecting them to pull off a miracle when they can't. He has a track record of bad defenses. There won't be any difference next season. 

Besides Hall, what other "deadwood coach" has the team held onto since Walters and O'Shea took the reigns?

14 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Pat DeMarrco was run out of Wpg as a bad o line coach and has done a good job in Calgary often with a plug and play injured o line.  Give a decent coach decent players. How many DCs would want to play a Hurl?

Pat DelMonaco. And IIRC, Hall has been one of Hurl's proponents since the two were in Riderville. Hall should be well aware how poor a MLB Hurl is.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing (again...) nobody here knows for sure whether it's Hall or the players, and nobody knows if Hall wants Hurl or not.......it's all just rampant speculation with near-zero basis...

So you mean besides the fact that Hall was on the team to draft Hurl and that Hurl was the first FA signing after he got to Winnipeg...?

Or do you mean the fact that we replaced Bass because he was a 'selfish player' and then penciled in Hurl after four days of training camp?

Not really sure what you're definition of 'near-zero basis' is beyond just 'I don't agree with this so its wrong'...