Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Interesting remark by Friedman on HNIC about NHLPA head Donal Fehr and how there are some who want an independent review of his leadership.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-agents-discuss-leadership-nhlpa-executive-director-donald-fehr/

Why on earth would the PA want to change leaders now, especially from someone has experienced as Fehr?  If they think they can negotiate an end to the Salary Cap, they are dreaming.  they should be thrilled if they can just maintain the current deal without anything demonstrably worse moving forward.  This is the same union that lost an entire year and negotiated a hard cap and a wage reduction. 

I think the big issue is escrow but I can't see how the PA avoids that.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Sedins retiring at the end of the season.

https://www.tsn.ca/sedins-to-retire-at-season-s-end-1.1044434

Im a little bit surprised because at their age, one more year with an actual contender would be my wish if I were them.  But they are pretty devoted to Vancouver.

A pretty amazing story when you consider they only ever played together their entire career and retire together.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

oh well they have to end it sometime, that would leave how many members of the 2011 Stanley cup run left on the team?

Edler and Tanev?  I can't think of too many others. Tanev was a rookie that year or close to it.  Total house-cleaning.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just wondering

do they call they Avalanche the "Nordiques/Avalanche"?

or the Coyotes the Jets/Coyotes?

or the Dallas Stars?

Probably won't be a team in Atlanta again so, they should probably  get over it.

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Just wondering

do they call they Avalanche the "Nordiques/Avalanche"?

or the Coyotes the Jets/Coyotes?

or the Dallas Stars?

Probably won't be a team in Atlanta again so, they should probably  get over it.

I'm just guessing they brought up Thrashers as it was a Thrasher goalie who owned the record.

Looking at this goalie interference call in Nashville, originally I thought it was a good call (no goal) because the Preds player stuck his stick into the goalie and physically moved him, thus allowing the puck to spring free.  Watching it again, Im not so sure.  The stick was into the "leg" area (where the puck was) and was an attempt to dig at the puck.  The fact the goalie moved is because the puck was under his pad and that was the area the Preds player was "digging at".  He wasnt trying to shove the goalie out of the way.

So if the rule is "ANY contact = interference", okay but thats going to result in a lot of calls (and penalties).  If you use common sense (ie. deciding intent) thats a good goal.  Plus, is the ref not supposed to whistle the play dead when he loses sight of the puck?  Clearly he lost sight since it was UNDER the goalie.  So the ref let it go.  Why?  Because its a scrum with players digging at it.  Happens all the time, puck comes free, goal voila. 

Ref should have whistled the play dead.  Because he didn't and because there was no evidence of intentional interference, its a good goal.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Looking at this goalie interference call in Nashville, originally I thought it was a good call (no goal) because the Preds player stuck his stick into the goalie and physically moved him, thus allowing the puck to spring free.  Watching it again, Im not so sure.  The stick was into the "leg" area (where the puck was) and was an attempt to dig at the puck.  The fact the goalie moved is because the puck was under his pad and that was the area the Preds player was "digging at".  He wasnt trying to shove the goalie out of the way.

So if the rule is "ANY contact = interference", okay but thats going to result in a lot of calls (and penalties).  If you use common sense (ie. deciding intent) thats a good goal.  Plus, is the ref not supposed to whistle the play dead when he loses sight of the puck?  Clearly he lost sight since it was UNDER the goalie.  So the ref let it go.  Why?  Because its a scrum with players digging at it.  Happens all the time, puck comes free, goal voila. 

Ref should have whistled the play dead.  Because he didn't and because there was no evidence of intentional interference, its a good goal.

I can't understand how that was interference (which is now called by the war room in Toronto) when the Neal homerun swing to Helle's head was not interference.  I'd like to cue up those two plays side by side and let non-hockey fans decide which one they thought should be called interference.

I honestly think they roll a dice to determine the outcome.