Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

#1 team in league just called in their Vesalainen from overseas.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2018/03/24/eeli-tolvanen-contract-predators-debut-nashville-lineup-nhl-prospects-khl/449480002/

30th in 2017 draft.  6 behind our guy. Hmmm....

Whats he done in the nhl? He was invisible vs scrubs at the olympics. Id be happy to see him come over because he'd be dominated defensively in the NHL 

23 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2018/03/24/eeli-tolvanen-contract-predators-debut-nashville-lineup-nhl-prospects-khl/449480002/

You'll find that most pundits have held Tolvanen's season in very high regard, with many polls/articles having Tolvanen and Vancouver's Elias Pettersson (drafted 5th overall) as the best prospects outside the NHL among forwards.  I'll leave Pettersson out of the discussion as he has just had an historic year for a teenager in the SHL, but if you compare Tolvanen's and Vesalainen's seasons, the numbers are pretty interesting:

Tolvanen Player Vesalainen
Nashville Team Winnipeg
2018 - 30th Overall Drafted 2018 - 24th Overall
KHL 17-18 League Liiga (Finland)
Jokerit 17-18 Team HPK / Karpat
49 GP - 19G - 17A - 36 pts 17-18 Stats 49 GP - 22G - 21A - 43 pts
0.73 17-18 Pts / game 0.88
5 GP - 1G - 5A - 6 pts 17-18 WJC stats 5 GP - 2G - 4A - 6 pts

Now, the KHL is generally regarded as a higher calibre league, so while Vesalainen's regular season stats are better on the surface, Tolvanen's season would be viewed as stronger.  Small sample size but their World Junior tournament stats are pretty much a wash.  The thing that is interesting to me is that Tolvanen burst out of the gates, scoring 4 pts in his first game, 30 points in his first 31 games, but only 7 pts in his last 20.  Vesalainen's season was the opposite, starting slowly and gaining momentum as the season went on.  In any event, I'm not going to claim Vesalainen is a better prospect.  It is way too early to make that kind of statement, but there are lots of reasons to be pretty excited about another Jets prospect.  

Oh yeah, one other thing, Tolvanen is 5'10, 180 lbs, while KV is 6'3, 210.  

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So, they're going to burn a year on his ELC, for what? They don't have depth, I guess. 

Roslo is going to have troubles getting into the Jets line-up and, right now, he's better than TheotherLaineN. 

Edited by JCon

I generally liked rick Ralph.  He’s funny. But he’s doing his best to make this fight a bigger story than it is. Anyone with close friends or anyone who has plaid competitor sports has been in a fight or witnessed fights. It happens. And the description by wheeler that they hugged it out and then joked about it is exactly what I’ve seen many times among my own friends. 

No conspiracy here. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not a conditioning stint either. Interesting to send him down. Makes me think his career as a Jet is over. 

I kind of think he's better off as a Moose, now the first thing I'm thinking is, oh is Mason all better? but if he was then Comrie would be going down too

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

And what attitude is that?

He's been acting like a crybaby all year, refusing interviews, claiming the Jets never gave him a real shot in all his time here, etc.

I don't think that's at play here though.  I think the Jets and Hutch both know he won't be back so they are letting Comrie and Mason run with the backup job.

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He's been acting like a crybaby all year, refusing interviews, claiming the Jets never gave him a real shot in all his time here, etc.

I don't think that's at play here though.  I think the Jets and Hutch both know he won't be back so they are letting Comrie and Mason run with the backup job.

It probably plays a minor role. I dont think they want that attitude in the room. But i tend to agree that Hutch is gone and they would rather give guys with a future here a shot. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Media and fans didn't do anything to him. 

No they didn't but at the same time I don't need to hear a guy speak when he's down.  As far as I'm concerned if he's in the AHL he doesn't owe anyone a soundbite.  His play was also outstanding with the Moose so that shows a good attitude towards the game itself.

That said, it's still a bit of a shitty attitude.  A true professional doesn't act that way publicly.