TSN TV & Media

BigBlue

Listening to the Ottawa Hammy game on the boob tube ... was so bored with their color commentary & half time show ... is this the best we are going to get or is it restless me?

Do you think TSN has an editorial policy that kills the initiative and knowledge of its broadcasters and staff ... they have to be there for more than a paycheck right? Not like the typical sportswriter .... where is Gary Lawless when you really need him?

Edited by BigBlue

Yeah I don't know, it's pre-season for the broadcasters too I guess.  Thought it was bizarre that with 3 or 4 minutes left they had the whole panel on commentary just chatting.  But whatever, I was happy to see some CFL football on TV, and to be honest it was a pretty good game too.  

I didn't even realize Ryan Lindley was signed by Ottawa.  I remember him from his days with the AZ Cardinals and he actually did pretty well tonight.  Really took advantage of some extended play time.

I thought that TSN 1290 was going to have more Bomber coverage. It's still hockey most of the time. so boring.

I did learn about the hockey franchise in Sandiego though. And some news about the Kansas City Chiefs.

I wouldn't go to tsn 1290 if I was running the Bombers. The team would be buried under the hockey news.

I know the members here have a strong dislike for roughriders team and fans

but they have far more coverage of the team than we do. pretty sure there's two hours every day on Regina 620 radio.

What would it cost the Bombers to have their own radio coverage? couple of hours a day.

doesn't cost much to set up an FM transmitter. Or use the transmitter and studio from UMFM radio station. Then a network to other stations in Manitoba. They've already got Ed Tait, who has broadcast experience, he could contribute an hour a day.

Get Noeller to run it.

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I thought that TSN 1290 was going to have more Bomber coverage. It's still hockey most of the time. so boring.

I did learn about the hockey franchise in Sandiego though. And some news about the Kansas City Chiefs.

I wouldn't go to tsn 1290 if I was running the Bombers. The team would be buried under the hockey news.

I know the members here have a strong dislike for roughriders team and fans

but they have far more coverage of the team than we do. pretty sure there's two hours every day on Regina 620 radio.

What would it cost the Bombers to have their own radio coverage?

doesn't cost much to set up an FM transmitter. Then a network to other stations in Manitoba.

Get Noeller to run it.

TSN1290 talk sports 24 hours a day. They talk hockey a lot because it get the ratings, plus, they have the Jets broadcast. They spend A LOT of time covering the Bombers despite it not being their product. Losing Lawless will hurt them but they can easily shift more coverage to football. You start adding everything together, including a coach's show and you get pretty broad coverage. Also, being a TSN station, they get direct access to the CFL on TSN team.

I don't want OB to cover it any longer. That radio station is dead. The only downside is that once the Bombers leave OB there won't be any other station covering the Bombers or the CFL.

I'm not sure about other people,  but at my work hockey talk dominates any CFL talk by a long mile.   I understand why so much talk is about the Jets. 

I find the morning show has more CFL talk,   H & L it was definitely at a minimum even with Lawless around.   They seem to rather talk about Horse Racing for some bizarre reason. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm not sure about other people,  but at my work hockey talk dominates any CFL talk by a long mile.   I understand why so much talk is about the Jets. 

I find the morning show has more CFL talk,   H & L it was definitely at a minimum even with Lawless around.   They seem to rather talk about Horse Racing for some bizarre reason. 

Horse talk is one segment usually on Wednesday. Promoting the local track.

Im fine with the Bombers coverage on 1290.  H&L spent plenty of time on the games before and after.  Hockey is the bigger sport, no doubt.  So it will always win the coverage game.  And if you have 3-4 NHL games a week, there is more to talk about it.  Bombers play once a week and got plenty of coverage around their games, especially considering 1290 didnt have the rights.

I love Bob Irving though. 

My concern with the Bombers rights ever going to 1290 would be that they likely WOULD get buried under the NHL come the fall, especially the rare time there are over-lapping games.  Im sure they'd shunt one of the games to their FM station but thats not ideal.  However, I think 1290 would do an excellent job with Bombers coverage if they had the rights.

As it is, when there is major Bombers news, 1290 covers it.  If I recall, when they had their house-cleaning and Wade was hired, 1290 broke into their regular programming and had H&L on live analyzing it.  CJOB was still playing their pre-recorded syndicated shows, something about lawn care or something. 

27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im fine with the Bombers coverage on 1290.  H&L spent plenty of time on the games before and after.  Hockey is the bigger sport, no doubt.  So it will always win the coverage game.  And if you have 3-4 NHL games a week, there is more to talk about it.  Bombers play once a week and got plenty of coverage around their games, especially considering 1290 didnt have the rights.

I love Bob Irving though. 

My concern with the Bombers rights ever going to 1290 would be that they likely WOULD get buried under the NHL come the fall, especially the rare time there are over-lapping games.  Im sure they'd shunt one of the games to their FM station but thats not ideal.  However, I think 1290 would do an excellent job with Bombers coverage if they had the rights.

As it is, when there is major Bombers news, 1290 covers it.  If I recall, when they had their house-cleaning and Wade was hired, 1290 broke into their regular programming and had H&L on live analyzing it.  CJOB was still playing their pre-recorded syndicated shows, something about lawn care or something. 

Here's the thing about that, tho..... That "pre recorded syndicated show" is kind of like an infomercial paying huge money to be on OB. It's a block of audio that can't be cut away from until its finished. The TSN guys can cut away because (at least at the time - fortunes are better now) they had nothing else going on. If anything, they were paying out to have stuff on air (actually not likely that dire... ESPN and TSN national likely have banks of audio they can pull from) just so there was some content. 

Anyhow, just to put things in perspective.... Its not as black and white as some might think... 

Does anyone know how many people, (not ratings, or position v other stations, but actual numbers of people) actually listen to 1290?

I have no idea how to find that information.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Does anyone know how many people, (not ratings, or position v other stations, but actual numbers of people) actually listen to 1290?

I have no idea how to find that information.

Well that's kind of a complicated thing. The answers are never that definitive. They do surveys that approximate the numbers but you don't know 100% for sure. What you have to know is that TSN and CJOB likely concern themselves with slightly different demographics. TSN is all about Males 18-49. CJOB likely skews higher, both male and female, and I would guess a higher educated listener. TSN listeners would be more blue collar... Not exclusively.... But if you had an "average" listener for each, there's probably more Uni degrees listening to OB (and CBC) than TSN. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Have to give 1290 credit for the new weekly Bauming show they added. 

I'd have no problems with the radio rights moving to 1290.  Would imagine the morning and afternoon shows would both get regular spots with whoever the new PBP guy is. 

If TSN aquired the broadcast rights, there's a good chance they would just link to the TV feed as the Argos have recently, trends following economics as they do.  They would still do their pre and post-game shows as they do now so it would be a pretty seamless transition.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing about that, tho..... That "pre recorded syndicated show" is kind of like an infomercial paying huge money to be on OB. It's a block of audio that can't be cut away from until its finished. The TSN guys can cut away because (at least at the time - fortunes are better now) they had nothing else going on. If anything, they were paying out to have stuff on air (actually not likely that dire... ESPN and TSN national likely have banks of audio they can pull from) just so there was some content. 

Anyhow, just to put things in perspective.... Its not as black and white as some might think... 

I understand.  But regardless, breaking news is breaking news.  If you're the "Information Station" and you hold the broadcast rights, you break in with the local news.  Because everyone listening switched over to your competitor.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Well that's kind of a complicated thing. The answers are never that definitive. They do surveys that approximate the numbers but you don't know 100% for sure. What you have to know is that TSN and CJOB likely concern themselves with slightly different demographics. TSN is all about Males 18-49. CJOB likely skews higher, both male and female, and I would guess a higher educated listener. TSN listeners would be more blue collar... Not exclusively.... But if you had an "average" listener for each, there's probably more Uni degrees listening to OB (and CBC) than TSN. 

The most recent ratings book had CJOB in 2nd place overall with a 10.9 (down from 11.0).  And 1290 at 4.4 (up from 3.8).  And I bet 1290 is content with that.  As I imagine their highest paid programming has significantly higher ratings (Jets broadcasts, H&L etc).  CJOB is a general information station, not a niche. 

CBC was the #1 local station at 14.5.  The highest rated FM station was QX104 in 3rd place overall with a rating of 9.0 (unchanged from last quarter).

1. CBC Radio One — 14.5 (13.8)
  2. 680 CJOB — 10.9 (11.0)
  3. QX 104 — 9.0 (9.0)
  4. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 8.0 (6.7)
  5. 92 CITI FM — 7.4 (8.7)
  6. 99.9 BOB FM — 5.9 (6.8)
  7. 94.3 The Drive — 5.6 (4.1)
  8. Energy 106 — 4.7 (4.9)
  9. Power 97 — 4.7 (3.2 as 97.5 BIG FM)
  10. TSN Radio 1290 — 4.4 (3.8)
  11. KiSS 102.3 — 4.1 (6.8)
  12. CBC Radio 2 — 3.6 (2.7)
  13. Peggy @ 99.1 — 2.6 (1.9 as 99.1 Fresh FM)
  14. Hot 100.5 — 1.5 (1.6 as Jewel 100.5 FM)
  15. Radio-Canada Espace Musique — 0.2 (0.3)
  16. Now Country 104.7 FM — 0.1 (1.3 as Rhythm 104.7 FM)

22 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If TSN aquired the broadcast rights, there's a good chance they would just link to the TV feed as the Argos have recently, trends following economics as they do.  They would still do their pre and post-game shows as they do now so it would be a pretty seamless transition.

Would be a mistake if this is what they did.  TV PBP doesn't always translate well to radio, and losing the "home team" flare to the broadcast would turn listeners off, not even factoring in games that Rod Black calls. 

40 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The most recent ratings book had CJOB in 2nd place overall with a 10.9 (down from 11.0).  And 1290 at 4.4 (up from 3.8).  And I bet 1290 is content with that.  As I imagine their highest paid programming has significantly higher ratings (Jets broadcasts, H&L etc).  CJOB is a general information station, not a niche. 

CBC was the #1 local station at 14.5.  The highest rated FM station was QX104 in 3rd place overall with a rating of 9.0 (unchanged from last quarter).

1. CBC Radio One — 14.5 (13.8)
  2. 680 CJOB — 10.9 (11.0)
  3. QX 104 — 9.0 (9.0)
  4. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 8.0 (6.7)
  5. 92 CITI FM — 7.4 (8.7)
  6. 99.9 BOB FM — 5.9 (6.8)
  7. 94.3 The Drive — 5.6 (4.1)
  8. Energy 106 — 4.7 (4.9)
  9. Power 97 — 4.7 (3.2 as 97.5 BIG FM)
  10. TSN Radio 1290 — 4.4 (3.8)
  11. KiSS 102.3 — 4.1 (6.8)
  12. CBC Radio 2 — 3.6 (2.7)
  13. Peggy @ 99.1 — 2.6 (1.9 as 99.1 Fresh FM)
  14. Hot 100.5 — 1.5 (1.6 as Jewel 100.5 FM)
  15. Radio-Canada Espace Musique — 0.2 (0.3)
  16. Now Country 104.7 FM — 0.1 (1.3 as Rhythm 104.7 FM)

These numbers are 12+, which doesn't accurately represent each stations target. Each station breaks things down into specifics, as, for example, TSN doesn't necessarily care about the Overall 12+...they want M18-49, and then they'll break it down into day parts. They're most concerned with how their Morning Show does and the Hustler Drive Show... 

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

I was thinking about starting up a live stream or podcast since the Bombers podcast is only once every month it seems.

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

I was thinking about starting up a live stream or podcast since the Bombers podcast is only once every month it seems.

John Hodge was doing a podcast last year but haven't heard if he is continuing with it this year.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

John Hodge was doing a podcast last year but haven't heard if he is continuing with it this year.

he was a guest on the piffles pod and had a podcast about the draft but nothing since.

I could stream on Twitch once a weel or something all i would need is a webcam and a co host....

I mean it's 2017 and we're relying on newspaper clippings and am radio for god sakes.

I like the live idea because there's viewer interaction, if we had everybody from this site talking in the chat everybody could get their opinions out and makes the show more interactive. The site also records it all for VOD which is awesome.

Edited by Gotmilt