Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

4 hours ago, TheAardvark said:

Not semantics, facts.  Sorry if you are that easily offended by correct information being posted.  Gray is not unsigned, stating so would be implying that Walters has not done his job in signing him.  Gray is not capable of being signed by the Bombers at this time, so there are no Bomber DP's not under contract. 

All the Bomber draft picks *are* under contract now.   And there is one SSK DP under contract... to Tampa Bay.

Oh please, don't start your physco-babble on this site. There's a reason you're always being corrected. Save your schtick for the other site.

18 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Yet you're backing Mike for some reason? 

Unless you haven't heard the Bombers purposely drafted Gray in the first round knowing he would not be here for a couple years as they feel he could develop in the states without having to pay him first round money.

I'm not backing anyone. I liked the Gray pick and understand the reasons behind it. However, that does not make it any less of a risk. Trying to portray it as a pick that has no potential to be a blown pick is just plain false. Walters rolled the dice that Gray will be back...hopefully he is...but if he never comes back then he blew a first round pick.

At this point and time, Gray is a first round pick of ours that we do not have under contract. Simple as that. The reasons are irrelevant because the cost was the same. Would any BC Lion fans say that Danny Watkins was not a wasted first round pick? I doubt it.

Edited by gcn11

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

I'm not backing anyone. I liked the Gray pick and understand the reasons behind it. However, that does not make it any less of a risk. Trying to portray it as a pick that has no potential to be a blown pick is just plain false. Walters rolled the dice that Gray will be back...hopefully he is...but if he never comes back then he blew a first round pick.

At this point and time, Gray is a first round pick of ours that we do not have under contract. Simple as that. The reasons are irrelevant because the cost was the same. Would any BC Lion fans say that Danny Watkins was not a wasted first round pick? I doubt it.

And I am betting that Grey will be back within 12 months. Too much better-coached competition down there.

14 minutes ago, tracker said:

And I am betting that Grey will be back within 12 months. Too much better-coached competition down there.

I hope you're right...and that obviously is the gamble that Walters is taking. However, until this happens this pick is no better than our pick of Mulumba a few years ago, who everyone thought would be back by now too. Mack gets roasted constantly for that pick by some who are hailing the Gray pick as a wise choice. Just saying...

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

I hope you're right...and that obviously is the gamble that Walters is taking. However, until this happens this pick is no better than our pick of Mulumba a few years ago, who everyone thought would be back by now too. Mack gets roasted constantly for that pick by some who are hailing the Gray pick as a wise choice. Just saying...

Two very different situations.  On one hand you have the 2013 roster in dire need of quality Canadians.  On the other hand you have the 2017 roster that is already in pretty good shape in terms of Canadians AND we had an additional first round pick that was used to bring in someone who is here now.  In other words, now we have the luxury of taking a flyer on a guy who may never show up.  In 2013 we did not.  Not to mention that in 2013 it was the #2 overall pick being used and in this case it was a late first rounder.

I don't think it's ever a truly terrible idea to take a guy getting an NFL shot. Yeah you may never see them up here, but if you do then you're getting presumably one of the better players from the draft. Sometimes having a future guy in your back pocket isn't a bad thing either. 

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I don't see it as a waste as obviously Walters didn't want anybody at that spot enough to make room in the cap. Look at the Riders, they're stuck paying a backup safety/ STer 1st rd money. What a mess...

35 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

You honestly can't see why the two choices are vastly different? Mack gets roasted due to having (at the time) a weak CND squad and having other options on the table that could help asap. Walters, has built a decent CND pool and already picked a pro ready player in the first round. I'm not arguing about whether it's a wasted pick or not either. I'm just trying to help you understand that the comparison made doesn't make any damn sense if you use your brain.

Here's how I look at the Geoff Gray situation: him not being here doesn't really matter, because we don't need him right now. If he comes, great. But let's not kid ourselves, he wouldn't likely be starting for us this year. MAYBE next year.

Ideally, what I think our best course of action is would be to see the line transition from:

Bryant-Bond-Goossen-Chungh-Hardrick

to maybe something like (once ready)

Bryant-Bond-Goossen-Chungh-Gray

and hopefully in time

Bond-Spooner-Goossen-Chungh-Gray

But truthfully, I think the reality of the situation is that we're going to eventually lose a couple of these guys. Hopefully we can parlay a guy like Couture or Spooner into either a replacement for a guy currently on our roster or into an asset that can help us elsewhere. We're officially at the point where our pipeline is likely a little full with Goossen, Chungh, Spooner, Couture and Gray. They're not all going to play for us.

My hopes for our OL this year is that they think enough of Couture that we can say see ya later to Neufeld.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

You honestly can't see why the two choices are vastly different? Mack gets roasted due to having (at the time) a weak CND squad and having other options on the table that could help asap. Walters, has built a decent CND pool and already picked a pro ready player in the first round. I'm not arguing about whether it's a wasted pick or not either. I'm just trying to help you understand that the comparison made doesn't make any damn sense if you use your brain.

In a league where a team rich in NATs can be decimated in the course of a year due to FA and vastly increased NFL interest in NAT players the comparison is apt....if you use your brain. Fluidity of roster is not a luxury in this league anymore. First round gambles are first round gambles no matter what your roster looks like today because next year we may lose significant NAT talent. I wish I could take as myopic a viewpoint as you are willing to do.

Edited by gcn11

Just now, gcn11 said:

In a league where a team rich in NATs can be decimated in the course of a year due to FA and vastly increased NFL interest in NAT players the comparison is apt....if you use your brain. Fluidity of roster is not a luxury in this league anymore. First round gambles are first round gambles no matter what your roster looks like today because next year we may lose significant NAT talent.

Also in a salary cap world were the luxury of having multiple first round picks in your line up might not be the best for your cap management.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Also in a salary cap world were the luxury of having multiple first round picks in your line up might not be the best for your cap management.

Like I said, I understand the reasons why he took Gray where he did. Just saying that it is folly to suggest it doesn't carry a big risk to end up being a blown pick.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Here's how I look at the Geoff Gray situation: him not being here doesn't really matter, because we don't need him right now. If he comes, great. But let's not kid ourselves, he wouldn't likely be starting for us this year. MAYBE next year.

Ideally, what I think our best course of action is would be to see the line transition from:

and hopefully in time

But truthfully, I think the reality of the situation is that we're going to eventually lose a couple of these guys. Hopefully we can parlay a guy like Couture or Spooner into either a replacement for a guy currently on our roster or into an asset that can help us elsewhere. We're officially at the point where our pipeline is likely a little full with Goossen, Chungh, Spooner, Couture and Gray. They're not all going to play for us.

My hopes for our OL this year is that they think enough of Couture that we can say see ya later to Neufeld.

That would be great if Couture were ready for that role. I have a hunch that Spooner may surprise as well.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

We still might get Mulumba. He's still only 27, and it's not like he can retire a multi-millionaire if he gets cut again this year.

True. Mulumba would be an awesome get in the next couple years as the heir apparent to Westerman.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

and hopefully in time

It wasn't that Neufeld was all that bad (apart from his injuries), its just that he wasn't  all that good, either.

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Like I said, I understand the reasons why he took Gray where he did. Just saying that it is folly to suggest it doesn't carry a big risk to end up being a blown pick.

No one is arguing that... if he never shows up here then it is certainly a wasted pick... but you compared this pick to the Mulumba pick... and that's where you're completely wrong...

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

People have equated Neufeld's injury history with "he sucks" and that's not true. He's extremely talented and versatile.........when healthy.

I disagree, he is not extremely talented, versatile sure, decent player sure, but he's not the kind of guy you make room for just in case he is healthy. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I disagree, he is not extremely talented, versatile sure, decent player sure, but he's not the kind of guy you make room for just in case he is healthy. 

You can do that....but you'd be wrong.......he's worth a roster spot, for sure.