Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

yeah I think that's basically what I meant...is he as good as Couture was last year. Interesting anyhow...a guy taken as late as he was, in what is considered a really weak draft.....wasn't sure where he'd fit in his first year. How much the learning curve would be for him....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

yeah I think that's basically what I meant...is he as good as Couture was last year. Interesting anyhow...a guy taken as late as he was, in what is considered a really weak draft.....wasn't sure where he'd fit in his first year. How much the learning curve would be for him....

Is 15th really that late though?

Maybe I'm just biased because I liked Spooner throughout the entire lead-up to the draft. I had him figured for a first round selection, so I suppose in a sense, I'm treating my expectations for him like that of a first rounder.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'm not even sure where to begin looking it up, but when did Bond play RT? I know Foketi and Hardrick both spent time there, but I don't remember Bond playing anywhere but LG....

Last year against Ottawa Hardrick went down in the first Q and we moved Bond over to RT and he played well. Hardrick returned in the 4th Q. I just watched it the other day. It's one of the only Bomber games still on youtube from last year.

Edited by gcn11

20 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Bond got lots of reps at left tackle in last year's TC and looked pretty good at it, for whatever that's worth.

He played right tackle in one pre-season game for sure.  I wonder how many more years they can expect out of Bryant, 2 maybe 3 would be my guess.

3 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Leaving Spooner on the PR might not be a good idea. I would think he will be either on the 46 or hidden on the IR.

Intzandt might be on the PR. 

why?  the other team would have to make a play for him... he would have to consent to go to said team AND we can block it simply by putting him on the active roster.. 

people worry too much about this perceived PR poaching.   If someone is "stolen" off a PR, its because the team let it happen..

8 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

why?  the other team would have to make a play for him... he would have to consent to go to said team AND we can block it simply by putting him on the active roster.. 

people worry too much about this perceived PR poaching.   If someone is "stolen" off a PR, its because the team let it happen..

Agreed, it almost never happens.  It is also my understanding that one spot is protected from poaching if it is filled by a draft pick from the current year

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

Bond got lots of reps at left tackle in last year's TC and looked pretty good at it, for whatever that's worth.

It's worth a lot imo. He was brought in to compete at OT and made the team at that position. His move to OG has been very successful, but in a pinch I think it's been clearly demonstrated he is a capable OT.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why Spooner suddenly ahead of Couture, in your opinion?

I would like Spooner ahead of Couture in my best case scenario too. Having Bond, Spooner, and Chungh as your Junkyard dogs would scare the bejeezus out of other teams. However, at this point and time the reality is that Couture is ahead of Spooner.

31 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Agreed, it almost never happens.  It is also my understanding that one spot is protected from poaching if it is filled by a draft pick from the current year

I don't think there is an untouchable spot on the PR for draft picks. I have looked over the CFL rules and cannot find any reference to that. Do you know what section and clause of the rules it is?

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

thats true too.. forgot about that part.

7 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I don't think there is an untouchable spot on the PR for draft picks. I have looked over the CFL rules and cannot find any reference to that. Do you know what section and clause of the rules it is?

I coulda sworn it was against rules to poach draft picks whom were on the PR unless its just a gentleman's agreement throughout the CFL?

21 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

It's worth a lot imo. He was brought in to compete at OT and made the team at that position. His move to OG has been very successful, but in a pinch I think it's been clearly demonstrated he is a capable OT.

Bond was an excellent find last year. Not only is he a mountain of a man, he plays gritty and has shown to be pretty versatile.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Bond was an excellent find last year. Not only is he a mountain of a man, he plays gritty and has shown to be pretty versatile.

He's just genuinely fun to watch.  That mountain of a man has a set of wheels on him.  When he run-blocks down the field it looks like he's swatting away children in pursuit of a speeding ice cream truck.

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

He's just genuinely fun to watch.  That mountain of a man has a set of wheels on him.  When he run-blocks down the field it looks like he's swatting away children in pursuit of a speeding ice cream truck.

Kinda goes without saying when it comes good players. ;)

Needless to say, he's been one hell of an asset to the O-line. Super happy he's a Bomber.

20 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Hes so full of energy and I get the impression he truly loves what he does.  one of Walter's best finds to date imo.  Hope hes in blue and gold for awhile.