Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

A third year veteran who's dressed for 17 games, seen limited action in those games, and has dealt with his fair of injuries.

Development doesn't follow a guaranteed path. I don't think it's reasonable to cut a player because his path has had more obstacles than another.

Yet it is done everyday. Veterans get released because of injury issues. Players at TC get released because they were injured & couldn't perform. All I'm saying is that if he doesn't show enough this training camp then it is time to move on. It's not unreasonable to say he needs to contribute. Put him on specials & let him earn his way to a starting or backup receiver position like everyone else.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Did I say that?  I said "if" he looks like our second best Canadian receiver in camp.  I'm willing to give the guy a chance to prove he belongs in his third year.  He's here to play receiver.  I couldn't care less if he plays special teams.

I'm willing as well if there is an actual progression in his career this season. Not if he doesn't get on the field.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

A third year vet has to contribute any way he can. This was the same argument we had with Jade Etienne. The Bombers finally let him go even though some here were defending him until the day he was cut.

Because there are so many receivers playing ST's right? Come on man....

Non issue, handled internally.

I'm leery of weighing in because I really don't know enough to comment, but the one thing I remember reading is that this is the first season where he'll be coming into camp 100% healthy and off an off-season where he was able to train completely. In short, there *shouldn't* be any excuses this year...

Look at Jake Harty in Ottawa. 9 catches for 81 yards in two years as a Redblack, and he's 30 months older than Addison Richards. Ottawa isn't giving up on him.

For all this talk about Richards being a third year veteran, many people forget that he's still going to be the second youngest receiver coming to our training camp this year. The only one younger is Thera-Plamondon, who isn't even being viewed as much of an option as anything other than a long snapper. He's younger than Tylor Henry, who we just drafted this year. That makes a difference. His developmental path has to be considered.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Look at Jake Harty in Ottawa. 9 catches for 81 yards in two years as a Redblack, and he's 30 months older than Addison Richards. Ottawa isn't giving up on him.

For all this talk about Richards being a third year veteran, many people forget that he's still going to be the second youngest receiver coming to our training camp this year. The only one younger is Thera-Plamondon, who isn't even being viewed as much of an option as anything other than a long snapper. He's younger than Tylor Henry, who we just drafted this year. That makes a difference. His developmental path has to be considered.

Which has been our issue forever, Taking players already at their ceiling because we needed bodies to come in and start and ending up with a very average roster. When you bring players along regardless if they can't contribute right away, they have the chance to learn and grow in to a special player. We needed Etienne to come in and play but never developed. different situation.

Very few Canadians come straight out of U sports and become all stars or even start, let's be patient, there's no farm team in the CFL like there is in the NHL (unless you're the riders).

Edited by Gotmilt

Just now, Gotmilt said:

Which has been our issue forever, Taking players already at their ceiling because we needed bodies to come in and start and ending up with a very average roster. When you bring players along regardless if they can't contribute right away, they have the chance to learn and grow in to a special player. We needed Etienne to come in and play but never developed. different situation.

Very few Canadians come straight out of U sports and become all stars or even start, let's be patient, there's no farm team in the CFL like there is in the NHL (unless you're the riders).

I understand your logic as far as drafting and developing homegrown talent, but disagree with how an average roster develops by taking players at their ceiling. If you grab average players, you get an average team. If you have the smarts to sign good players, you get a good roster. The trick is to choose wisely, grasshopper.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Difficult to compare Richards to two actual veterans who had significant playing time under their belts before getting injured.

What's the difference? Injuries significantly affected those guys too yet fans were calling for their heads so I don't understand the difference.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yet it is done everyday. Veterans get released because of injury issues. Players at TC get released because they were injured & couldn't perform. All I'm saying is that if he doesn't show enough this training camp then it is time to move on. It's not unreasonable to say he needs to contribute. Put him on specials & let him earn his way to a starting or backup receiver position like everyone else.

Except Richards, for all intents and purposes, isn't a veteran. A veteran player has actual in-game experience under his belt.

And I think the coaches on the team know what's best for him. Saying he needs to be put on ST at camp to earn a spot on the roster isn't reasonable. And for the record, when he has been able to play, he has been a backup receiver.

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hardy has been able to contribute right from the start so you can't compare Richards to him in any way. Hardy is in the receiver rotation as a slot & he also plays special teams. Hardy also played 2 or 3 years of junior ball with the Calgary Colts before going to the Dinos which is why he's older.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Except Richards, for all intents and purposes, isn't a veteran. A veteran player has actual in-game experience under his belt.

And I think the coaches on the team know what's best for him. Saying he needs to be put on ST at camp to earn a spot on the roster isn't reasonable. And for the record, when he has been able to play, he has been a backup receiver.

He's a veteran as he received a paycheque all the while. He just hasn't played much. This is his second year in LaPo's system so he knows it. Rookies get cut at training camp all the time if they can't practice or play in exhibition games. If a rook injures things like a knee, shoulder or pulls a hamstring & missed significant practice time it's curtains. The Grim Reaper comes around, says coach wants to see you & bring your playbook. All kinds of sad & hard luck stories at CFL & NFL training camps. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's the difference? Injuries significantly affected those guys too yet fans were calling for their heads so I don't understand the difference.

What's not to understand? Pierce and Neufeld were both known commodities before injuries hampered their careers. The same can't be said for Richards - there isn't even a sample size.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Ya well you also said Nichols was worse than Crompton so who knows right?

Sure ive been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times again. I've also been right many times before and will be correct again many more times. What's your point? :lol:

Not to mention, you said that Garrett Waggoner was a good pick, so who knows about anything you say right? 

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, the team isn't giving up on him, so I'll go with their assessment over a disgruntled and impatient fan's on a forum.

Why personally label someone because you don't agree with them? I'm not disgruntled. If you read previous posts on this thread. I said Richards needs to step up & show improvement. I also said I hope he does show improvement. I do feel that this will be the training camp where he has to show he can play at the CFL level. I truly feel strongly that every player on a CFL roster has to contribute because of roster limitations & size. That's my opinion & I'm sticking with it.

The coaching staff decides if & when it's over for Richards. Not us. We can argue all day long. Ultimately Mike O'Shea & Paul LaPolice make the final say on Richards future. This has been a good discussion but I've said about all I can say here on this topic. I'm finished posting about it.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hardy has been able to contribute right from the start so you can't compare Richards to him in any way. Hardy is in the receiver rotation as a slot & he also plays special teams. Hardy also played 2 or 3 years of junior ball with the Calgary Colts before going to the Dinos which is why he's older.

How in the world is it relevant why he is older? It doesn't change the fact that he is and only marginally more effective. What is with this obsession with special teams? I get that Richards has done little as of right now and I am hardly a fan but this reeks of you picking a guy to obsess over. 

37 minutes ago, tracker said:

I understand your logic as far as drafting and developing homegrown talent, but disagree with how an average roster develops by taking players at their ceiling. If you grab average players, you get an average team. If you have the smarts to sign good players, you get a good roster. The trick is to choose wisely, grasshopper.

Yes, i agree that is definitely true with Americans due to there being so many of them and you can find diamonds. With Canadians it's far different in terms of numbers and most CFL clubs are aware of the good ones and therefore you have to end up paying them. A young developmental guy can be dragged along and at some point become the star player without having to pay him that way.

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

How in the world is it relevant why he is older? It doesn't change the fact that he is and only marginally more effective. What is with this obsession with special teams? I get that Richards has done little as of right now and I am hardly a fan but this reeks of you picking a guy to obsess over. 

Mike made the comment that Hardy's 30 months older than Richards & that it is relevant. I was responding to his comments. Did you not read the previous posts here? What's the obsession with specials? How many Canadians in total are on a CFL roster? How many Canadians are mandated to start? Just exactly what do these Canadian players do to get on the field? You tell me.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mike made the comment he's 30 months younger than Richards & that it is relevant. What's the obsession with specials? How many Canadians are on a roster? How many Canadians are mandated to start? Just exactly what do these Canadian players do to get on the field? You tell me.

As a receiver. This man plays a skill position and was brought in to learn and hopefully play the position sooner rather than later. 

The age thing is relevant only in the sense that he is so much younger than Hardy. The fact that Hardy played extra years or junior explains why he is older despite the same draft year but why does that matter in the context of this argument?