Canadian Politics

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Aside from misleading our block about our street renewal, I can't think of any of this baggage.  That being said, I can not vote for anyone Conservative-adjacent.

He's pretty moderate, but why vote moderate when I can vote progressive?  I think he'd make a decent provincial PC leader, but I still wouldn't vote for him.

This. He seems like a decent guy who unfortunately still believes that the answer to traffic congestion is roads, roads, and more roads. I see him as the 'more of the same old mediocrity' candidate.

Now that Loney seems to have enough momentum that I can switch my vote from Murray to him without much fear of Gillingham winning, that's what I'm going to do. 

11 hours ago, JCon said:

He's pure trash. 

When they show you who they are, believe them. 

I think someone on this forum said they didn't think PP would be able to stand up to the national spotlight. More people aware of the garbage he's spewing, its harder to hide from people pointing out the discrimination and lies. Obviously the tags existed on his videos for a long time, but it was only discovered and made public because he is leader of the party.

Hopefully people still have enough confidence in journalism and news agencies do their due diligence and research to expose more of this sh**. Hopefully Canadians care enough to vote and not allow him power.

5 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I think someone on this forum said they didn't think PP would be able to stand up to the national spotlight. More people aware of the garbage he's spewing, its harder to hide from people pointing out the discrimination and lies. Obviously the tags existed on his videos for a long time, but it was only discovered and made public because he is leader of the party.

Hopefully people still have enough confidence in journalism and news agencies do their due diligence and research to expose more of this sh**. Hopefully Canadians care enough to vote and not allow him power.

And the local MP GG here in Sherwood Park continuing to show his true colors promoting greasy PP here in our local newspaper. 

AB UCP members choose Danielle Smith as the new premier. She is an absolute loony toon. Has already talked about separating AB from Canada (The Alberta Sovereignty Act), pulling out of CPP in favour of a provincial one, and many other things. In the first 5 minutes if her acceptance speech she echoed a lot of PPs talking points. 

May God (??) help us..... 

What a sad, sad day for Alberta.

Just listen to some of the garbage she spewed in her acceptance speech tonight: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/united-conservative-party-to-announce-new-leader-1.6606261

"It is time for Alberta to take its place as a senior partner in building a strong and unified Canada," she said to loud cheers. 

"No longer will Alberta ask permission from Ottawa to be prosperous and free. We will not have our voices silenced or censored. We will not be told what we must put in our bodies in order that we may work or travel.

"We will not have our resources landlocked or our energy phased out of existence by virtue-signaling prime ministers. Albertans, not Ottawa, will chart our own destiny on our terms..."

Pitiful rhetoric - and quite contradicting. 

The silver lining is a provincial election is around the corner, so hopefully she and her party of regressive shitstains are booted from the legislature at that time.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

AB UCP members choose Danielle Smith as the new premier. She is an absolute loony toon. Has already talked about separating AB from Canada (The Alberta Sovereignty Act), pulling out of CPP in favour of a provincial one, and many other things. In the first 5 minutes if her acceptance speech she echoed a lot of PPs talking points. 

Oh my, this should be fun.

Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
@brentoliver
·
1h
85,000 people are voting for our new Premier of a province of 4.5 million.

1.8% of the province. Cool.

pkftb6l5sas91.jpg

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

We will not have our resources landlocked or our energy phased out of existence by virtue-signaling prime ministers. Albertans, not Ottawa, will chart our own destiny on our terms..."

surprised she didnt call the bitumen " molecules of freedom"

Their "energy" is being "phased out" right now, but not by any Canadian government.

Edited by Mark F

On the CBC national news, they interviewed one of Ms. Smith's supporters as to what his priorities were. He looked for all the world like he was freshly out of a survivalist bunker in Montana, but his priorities were reducing taxes and improving healthcare. Didn't seem to be able to explain how reducing government income would improve medical services, though. Alberta is trying to retreat into the Dark Ages.

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I loved how in a tweet she thanked Alberta for placing trust in her. I'm sorry, what?

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Oh my, this should be fun.

Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
@brentoliver
·
1h
85,000 people are voting for our new Premier of a province of 4.5 million.

1.8% of the province. Cool.

pkftb6l5sas91.jpg

Seriously the system should be if the party leader resigns during her/his tenure, the next party leader should be giving the tag interim Premier until the next election with limited authority to push anything that wasn't in the original mandate. What a **** system we have, especially with Conservative 'Leaders' who can't see to last their full four years.  

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Seriously the system should be if the party leader resigns during her/his tenure, the next party leader should be giving the tag interim Premier until the next election with limited authority to push anything that wasn't in the original mandate. What a **** system we have, especially with Conservative 'Leaders' who can't see to last their full four years.  

But the party can push through whatever they want because all those MLAs were elected. People have to start paying attention and stop pretending they elect a leader. Voting matters so pay attention to who and what you are voting for people. 

Anyone who values healthcare and votes for the UCP clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But the party can push through whatever they want because all those MLAs were elected. People have to start paying attention and stop pretending they elect a leader. Voting matters so pay attention to who and what you are voting for people. 

Anyone who values healthcare and votes for the UCP clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

It’s not that straightforward. My point regardless of party leader or  local mla’s is, they ran on their customized platforms as well so they can’t just ‘do what they want’.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It’s not that straightforward. My point regardless of party leader or  local mla’s is, they ran on their customized platforms as well so they can’t just ‘do what they want’.

Sure they can. Platforms go out the window the second an election ends anyway. That's the way the system works. The person you elect to represent you and your area can vote however they feel on whatever legislation is put forward. 

Anyone who voted ucp and is now leery about Danielle Smith being leader has absolute nothing to say. Was clear as day when that party formed that it was PC greed and wild rose ideology coming together. UCP voters are getting what they supported. See if the moderates learned their lesson or not.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Sure they can. Platforms go out the window the second an election ends anyway. That's the way the system works. The person you elect to represent you and your area can vote however they feel on whatever legislation is put forward. 

Anyone who voted ucp and is now leery about Danielle Smith being leader has absolute nothing to say. Was clear as day when that party formed that it was PC greed and wild rose ideology coming together. UCP voters are getting what they supported. See if the moderates learned their lesson or not.

You're throwing the 'here's how it really works' argument at me which is true, yup completely agree I know that but it doesn't make it right in terms of how theoretically this is to work for the benefit of the masses in a democracy. The second paragraph of yours we are completely on the same page.

When Nate Gubish was running and eventually elected  in my area (whom I didn't vote for), him throwing out his platforms he ran off and just individually voting however he wants based on what benefits him and his crew, yea there's nothing in place in stopping him in doing that I get it other than continuing to vote against him, write letters to the editor, visit his office to communicate, social media rants, maybe run for office if you have the means/skill etc. etc . I get that, but I will continue to voice my displeasure on the sliminess of this reality of what's really going on here.

Your new premier, Alberta: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/new-alberta-premier-says-unvaccinated-most-discriminated-against-group-after-swearing-in-1.6612767

"They have been the most discriminated against group that I've ever witnessed in my lifetime," Smith said of unvaccinated Canadians...

39 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Ms. Smith apparently lives in a world devoid of awareness of the attempted genocides of Jews, Armenians, and the insults, discriminations and injuries suffered by LGBT people, blacks, Asians, Semites, aboriginals, the disabled and so forth. Much more comfortable to pretend these do not exist. Blind stupidity has its benefits.

non vaccinated have taken a lot more than they have given. they are a burden. so is this new Alberta Premiere.

According to new research, published in the Lancet.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00320-6/fulltext

"We aimed to quantify the global impact of the first year of COVID-19 vaccination programmes.

A mathematical model of COVID-19 transmission and vaccination was separately fit to reported COVID-19 mortality and all-cause excess mortality in 185 countries and territories. The impact of COVID-19 vaccination programmes was determined by estimating the additional lives lost if no vaccines had been distributed. We also estimated the additional deaths that would have been averted had the vaccination coverage targets of 20% set by COVAX and 40% set by WHO been achieved by the end of 2021.

Findings

Based on official reported COVID-19 deaths, we estimated that vaccinations prevented 14·4 million (95% credible interval [Crl] 13·7–15·9) deaths from COVID-19 in 185 countries and territories between Dec 8, 2020, and Dec 8, 2021."

I guess this might be too hard for Albertans to understand.

maybe if we said "vaccinations built 14.4 million new giant pickup trucks and ski boats"
they would be on board.

Edited by Mark F

What's interesting is, with those comments, Danielle Smith clearly isn't trying to win any new voters. She's blowing the dog whistle for the ones who are already with her. If she plans to win a general election, she needs moderates, and comments like those are only going to scare them away. It's just not good strategy/policy. 

What's interesting is, with those comments, Danielle Smith clearly isn't trying to win any new voters. She's blowing the dog whistle for the ones who are already with her. If she plans to win a general election, she needs moderates, and comments like those are only going to scare them away. It's just not good strategy/policy. 

Yup in a sane world.

All bets are off in an insane world, ie claiming the unvaccinated muh rights muh freedoms the only person that matters is me and what I choose to do with no consequences for those choices type people are the most discriminated against people she has seen in her lifetime. Angertainment at it’s finest.

If it was a different Province, I would be inclined to agree. But there are enough “the rest of Canada is against us” types in Alberta that they will buy in to the new Trump populism script. And they will be less likely to forgive her if she doesn’t speak out against the “woke progressive elites” than the moderates will be to dismiss her for these comments. The world has gotten to a state that outrageous comments garner a shrug far too often. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If it was a different Province, I would be inclined to agree. But there are enough “the rest of Canada is against us” types in Alberta that they will buy in to the new Trump populism script. And they will be less likely to forgive her if she doesn’t speak out against the “woke progressive elites” than the moderates will be to dismiss her for these comments. The world has gotten to a state that outrageous comments garner a shrug far too often. 

this is mostly true. SF27 likes to say it's "only 5% of Albertans", but the truth is, it's a LOT more than that. 

Edmonton votes predominantly NDP. Rural AB (outside of Edmonton/Calgary) votes predominantly Conservative, and Calgary is a toss-up. Whoever wins Calgary, wins the province. Calgary is becoming more and more progressive with their politics with each passing year. I'm not saying they'll save the province next spring, but there's at least a chance. While there are a lot of "I'll Always Vote Conservative No Matter What" types, I believe there's a growing number of those who see people like Trump, Pollievre and Smith as "one step too far" and will go to Notley just for a small dose of sanity.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is mostly true. SF27 likes to say it's "only 5% of Albertans", but the truth is, it's a LOT more than that. 

Edmonton votes predominantly NDP. Rural AB (outside of Edmonton/Calgary) votes predominantly Conservative, and Calgary is a toss-up. Whoever wins Calgary, wins the province. Calgary is becoming more and more progressive with their politics with each passing year. I'm not saying they'll save the province next spring, but there's at least a chance. While there are a lot of "I'll Always Vote Conservative No Matter What" types, I believe there's a growing number of those who see people like Trump, Pollievre and Smith as "one step too far" and will go to Notley just for a small dose of sanity.

Example of gaslighting by Michael Taube, Troy Media on Danielle Smith:

'And, much like Ford, she prefers to build bridges with her opponents rather than tear them down unnecessarily'.

Put in more simple terms, I throw something absurd, non factual, completely void of reality at sane person. Sane person reacts appropriately to this drivel. I respond with I'm just trying to build bridges here, why the hostility WOKESTER?

What a world.

Calgary is not really a toss up, it's staunchly PC territory... so the question is do they vote blue wild rose or ndp? Last time they bought the suckers line about it being the same old PCs but I am not sure how they will respond to wild rose redux. They had lots of chances to elect Danielle Smith before and never did. 

Edited by 17to85

David Staples: . . . But Smith said it’s important to listen to unconventional voices outside the mainstream, noting, “Albert Einstein had views that were outside the conventional mainstream at one point … It’s really those disruptors that have changed the world … It’s odd to me that we have a society that wants conformity, a society that wants to keep things exactly as they are … You never know someone who seems like they are a lunatic might end up turning out to be a genius.” . . .

Maybe let's revisit our assumptions in thinking we are using the words unconventional, conformity, disruptor, mainstream, lunatic, genius in their appropriate contexts.

With no real impactful checks and balances in place and having humans who lag measurably in the social and health determinants of life and are isolated behind a keyboard, a screen, a monitor with access to millions and millions of insane people and insane information has brought us to this moment in politicians pandering to this type of scenario.     

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/smith-covid-vaccines-discrimination-minority-communities-1.6613920

Alberta's new premier, Danielle Smith, says she didn't mean to downplay discrimination against minority communities when she said unvaccinated people have received the worst discrimination of any group in more than 50 years. 

"I want to be clear that I did not intend to trivialize in any way the discrimination faced by minority communities and other persecuted groups both here in Canada and around the world or to create any false equivalencies to the terrible historical discrimination and persecution suffered by so many minority groups over the last decades and centuries," she wrote in a statement. 

Jerkstore.