Last time the Bombers won the Grey Cup ... sigh

IC Khari

- Matt Dunigan still had seven more seasons in his career

- Kate Upton wasn't born for two more years

The Senate of Canada approved the GST one month later

- Brian Mulroney had two and a half more years as PM

- Three days later the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Margaret Thatcher, resigns and is replaced by John Major

- Four days later, the United Nations Security Council passes UN Security Council Resolution 678, authorizing military intervention in Iraq if that state does not withdraw its forces from Kuwait

- One month later, the World Wide Web software is first tested by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in December of 1990

Ancient history is usually fun and entertaining for me, when it involves a favorite sports franchise we all cherish and love, not so much ... go Stamps :angry:

6 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

There's video footage of it on You Tube (just a touch above B&W quality), but then again there's footage of the Moon landings and plenty think they're faked LOL ;) 

Y'mean the flag shouldn't ripple if there's no atmosphere, and there should have been an impact crater under the lunar lander, and there shouldn't be multiple light sources casting shadows, and it's impossible for any human being to cross the Van Allan radiation belts in a 1960's rocket ship? What tales could Stanley Kubrick tell? My, my. :)

25 minutes ago, J5V said:

Y'mean the flag shouldn't ripple if there's no atmosphere, and there should have been an impact crater under the lunar lander, and there shouldn't be multiple light sources casting shadows, and it's impossible for any human being to cross the Van Allan radiation belts in a 1960's rocket ship? What tales could Stanley Kubrick tell? My, my. :)

Alright this started as a whining thread, let's not go all Alex Jones here  ... ;)

Edited by IC Khari

12 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

The moon landing was real and the Bombers have won GCs. Three in my time. got attend the one that broke the last 20+ year drought.

Problem is, next we see the players that actually helped in that 1990 win, it will be like these Civil War vet gatherings from the 30's ...

Really, really old guys pulled out of the nursing home for one last shinning moment of good memories. We have to win one before then to save them the embarrassment :( 

Edited by IC Khari

On 25 November, 2016 at 4:57 PM, IC Khari said:

- Matt Dunigan still had seven more seasons in his career

- Kate Upton wasn't born for two more years

The Senate of Canada approved the GST one month later

- Brian Mulroney had two and a half more years as PM

- Three days later the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Margaret Thatcher, resigns and is replaced by John Major

- Four days later, the United Nations Security Council passes UN Security Council Resolution 678, authorizing military intervention in Iraq if that state does not withdraw its forces from Kuwait

- One month later, the World Wide Web software is first tested by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in December of 1990

Ancient history is usually fun and entertaining for me, when it involves a favorite sports franchise we all cherish and love, not so much ... go Stamps :angry:

In global politics: the Soviet Union (with Gorbachev in charge) and Yugoslavia both still existed, East Germany had only ceased to exist one month earlier. Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Namibia did not exist as independent countries. The last U.S. war fought was Vietnam. 

In the NHL, Mario Lemieux had not yet won a Stanley Cup, the Minnesota North Stars still existed, the San Jose Sharks did not, and Ottawa and Tampa Bay had not yet even been awarded franchises. Teemu Selanne was still 2 years away from playing a game with the Jets, and Guy Lafleur was still playing pro hockey.

Laval was still 6 years away from having a football program, and they have 9 more titles than the Bombers do since 1990. More Super Bowls have been played since the last Bomber Grey Cup win than before it. Troy Westwood had not yet kicked a field goal in the CFL. The Sacramento Gold Miners did not yet exist. Nor did John Candy or Wayne Gretzky as CFL owners. Only 8 players in the NFL made over $2 million a season, and a CFL player would still make more than an NFL player the year after the Bombers last won the Cup.

Magic Johnson was still playing basketball. Bo Jackson was still playing football. Ken Griffey was still playing baseball - that's Ken Griffey Sr. So was Dave Parker. Sugar Ray Leonard was still boxing. Pete Rose was still eligible to be elected into the Hall of Fame. Buffalo had never played in a Super Bowl.

Freddie Mercury was still alive. So was Dr. Suess. And Red Grange. Also, Redd Foxx, George Gobel, and Frank Capra.

MIke Trout had not been born yet. Neither had Milos Raonic.

Cassette tapes outsold compact discs by 50%. Gas was 39.9 cents a litre. Closed captioning, internet cafes (or even the world wide web), Terminator 2, Nirvana (outside of Seattle), and Super Nintendo did not exist yet. Home Alone was the #1 movie in America. Macauley Culkin is now 36 years old, by the way.

Anyone else feeling old yet?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

With the Ottawa win this year, I've now seen every team in the league win the Grey Cup live in person, except for 1.    When we last won, I didn't have any kids, now I have 3 adult children.   My daughter is 25, she's been to 12 Grey Cup games with me, and we're making plans for Ottawa.   One of these years it will happen.  One of these years.