US Politics

Rich

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

You've just summed up in five words that there are still good sincere people in politics regardless of stripes, ideology and beliefs.

These are the people 'we' need to get behind, trying to get them back in and/or ensure they remain on the playing field.

"We' can be a mix of public citizens from all walks of life and perspectives, politicians from all stripes and colors, influential business and entertainment gurus etc etc. That's where real change happens.

I  agree with you.

it's hard to get involved in a meaningful way.

It's a lot of boring, frustrating work; I've worked on a few causes; Takes some guts to stick it out and follow through despite the roadblocks and dissapointments.

So van Jones said on CNN that Donald Trump became President when he paid tribute to the Navy Seal's wife who died in the raid this past January.  Then there was last night. He took off his presidential clothes & became the assclown we all know & expect that he is all over again. How long until his base grows tired of everything that's going on with his disaster of a Presidency? Six months? A year? Two? Three? One term? Never?

At least Trump can take solace in the fact Arnold Schwarzenegger quit The Apprentice.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Don't worry the Trump supporters will always have their "but but but" nonsense.  Just trying to destract from what is happening today with nonsense. 

I get why trump does it. His nonsense about investigating Dems and Obama tapping his office. He does it to try and change the narrative and create noise to drown out the focus on him. 

The interesting part is the people that fall for it.  Posting Donald's tweets like its "gotcha". The gotcha is how transparent Trump is.   He's really like a child "but Timmy did it too...". "But johnny told me to do it....". 

What a joke. 

I said right here that I thought Trump might actually take it seriously once he got there. I was wrong. 

Its entertaining as hell though. 

5 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Yet another example US Border guards are out of control...

Unless im wrong Canadians never need VIsAs to enter the US. The border guard can deny you entry "just because" but it's weird they'd say she needs a visa. 

It certainly doesn't do favour for Trump Admin saying this isn't a Muslim ban of anyone who appears remotely Muslim is being denied entry even when they are a Canadian born citizen with a Canadian passport. 

While Trump puts on his stupid show, this is what's happening down there

New York Times

WASHINGTON — Giants in telecommunications, like Verizon and AT&T, will not have to take “reasonable measures” to ensure that their customers’ Social Security numbers, web browsing history and other personal information are not stolen or accidentally released.

Wall Street banks like Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase will not be punished, at least for now, for not collecting extra money from customers to cover potential losses from certain kinds of high-risk trades that helped unleash the 2008 financial crisis.

And Social Security Administration data will no longer be used to try to block individuals with disabling mental health issues from buying handguns, nor will hunters be banned from using lead-based bullets, which can accidentally poison wildlife, on 150 million acres of federal lands.

These are just a few of the more than 90 regulations that federal agencies and the Republican-controlled Congress have delayed, suspended or reversed in the month and a half since President Trump took office, according to a tally by The New York Times.

The emerging effort — dozens more rules could be eliminated in the coming weeks — is one of the most significant shifts in regulatory policy in recent decades. It is the leading edge of what Stephen K. Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, described late last month as “the deconstruction of the administrative state.”

ditching the clean water act, the EPA, NOAA, etc., dismantling the few unions they have left, (something like 8 % rate of unionization there. good god.) selling public lands, drilling mining in Parks, all that crap.

Trump  is acting crazy, but he and his cohorts have a radical agenda of destruction, and they are intent on carrying it out.

People should look at what they're doing, not the sideshow.

Law of the Jungle pending, for Joe Lunchbox.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Ditching the clean water act, the EPA, NOAA, etc., dismantling the few unions they have left, (something like 8 % rate of unionization there. good god.) selling public lands, drilling mining in Parks, all that crap.

Trump  is acting crazy, but he and his cohorts have a radical agenda of destruction, and they are intent on carrying it out

This is why it's so frustrating to me to hear people say that all the US parties are the same.  The Dems are frustrating in tons of ways, but they aren't trying to engineer society into a Hobbesian eighties action movie. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

This is why it's so frustrating to me to hear people say that all the US parties are the same.  The Dems are frustrating in tons of ways, but they aren't trying to engineer society into a Hobbesian eighties action movie. 

well, slightly different I suppose. I don't have much use for the Democrats. Being better than the republicans isn't much of an accomplishment.

If you follow the voting, they are in agreement on war, for starters. Democrats love wars just as much as Republicans.

To me, that's unforgivable.

Both parties have taken turns presiding over the dismantling of their country. Average Joe has been standing still since 1970. Each party has run things since that time.

But you're right, this is a wrecking crew.

Trump and the Republican party running everything now, is probably going to result in a new low point for wack job government. As Trumps man Bannon says, they are dismantling the government.

I guess we'll see if they can be stopped.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Unless im wrong Canadians never need VIsAs to enter the US. The border guard can deny you entry "just because" but it's weird they'd say she needs a visa. 

It certainly doesn't do favour for Trump Admin saying this isn't a Muslim ban of anyone who appears remotely Muslim is being denied entry even when they are a Canadian born citizen with a Canadian passport. 

You're not wrong. In the follow-up the American Embassy told her she would have to talk to Border Patrol because they had no idea what visa was needed. 

4 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

You're not wrong. In the follow-up the American Embassy told her she would have to talk to Border Patrol because they had no idea what visa was needed. 

But she looked like a Muslim to some racist border agent so she go denied and was given an excuse since there was no reason to deny her. Our cousins to the south. 

With the Trudeau Liberals finally set to discuss the asylum-seekers tramping illegally across our border, U.S. President Donald Trump eased back Monday on his controversial travel ban in hopes this one would dodge any court challenges.

He took Iraq off the list of the seven Muslim-dominated countries from his original travel ban that various American courts threw to the curb, purportedly to acknowledge Iraq’s fight against the Islamic terrorism of ISIS within its own borders, and gave his revised executive order 10 days’ grace before its implementation.

While it garnered its fair share of news, it wasn’t as intriguing or as explosive as Trump tweeting over the weekend that former president Barack Obama had ordered the wiretapping of his campaign headquarters at the Trump Tower.

“This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!” Trump tweeted of Obama.

It appears, however, that there could be more than just a grain of truth to Trump’s allegation, not that Obama personally ordered the wiretap, but that he was possibly later advised of it.

There was also growing buzz over the weekend that, beyond the wiretap accusations, the Russian hacking allegations were invented by intelligence agencies to drive a wedge into any Trump plan to normalize relations with the Kremlin once he was elected president.

Whistleblower and former high-placed National Security Agency advisor William Binney said he believed, without doubt, that NSA operatives had tapped Trump’s phones, and had leaked details to both the Democrats and selected anti-Trump media.

“How else did they get the phone call between the president and the president of Australia?” asked Binney. “Or the one he made with Mexico? Those are not targeted foreigners.”

These do beg for answers.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2017/03/06/22708670.html

Some general reports about legitimate FBI investigations into Russian connections with people associated with Trump (which we see are certainly relevant).  That leads to some right wing nut job conspiracy theorist radio host creating an accusation of a "silent coup" by Obama.  He makes general reference to several news sites reporting this, even though they havent.  Bannon then leaks info to Brietbart which cites sources which are Bannon plus this radio guy who has cites sources that never said what he said they said.  And suddenly, Spicer is reporting that mainstream news is reporting that Obama ordered wiretaps.  And none of it is true or validated.

Basically, the Trump "supporters" (have to use that word instead of the one that better fits) make up things and cite each other as sources.  Spicer refused to say what sources and when he finally provided some, they were fact checked away as false.

But this the Trumpism of "people say..." or "everyone is saying...". 

A President cant even order wiretapping.

And once again Trump tries to turn it from the real issue of his ties to Russia and tries to paint the real issue being an investigation into his ties to Russia and/or "leaks" which, in some cases, are from his own people.

Trump's had 30 years of relationship with Russia.  And with a friendly congress, if he had nothing to hide he'd demand an investigation to clear himself.  But he wont. 

If Americans change the house to Democrat in two years, Trump is in big trouble.

Imagine this scenario...

Obama charges that the Bush administration tapped his phones, somewhere outside the white house.  

He tweets this on the heels of a left wing opinion piece, in say, Drudge retort..... then parrots the same charge on twitter - no evidence provided  

Obama refuses to provide any evidence, despite public disclaimer from the FBI.   Just says that he "knows for a fact"

Obama's Press Secretary says it is " based on multiple sources"  but won't divulge any and says no more statements until "we get an investigation"

Democrats on the hill, have seen no evidence at all, but make media statements like "the President knows"  or "he has a good reason to say this"

How fast do you think, there would a congressional investigation?

49 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Americans change the house to Democrat in two years, Trump is in big trouble.

Good post and I agree with most of what you are saying- but I don't think people will have to wait on the House changing... I think that Trump will become so toxic and unpopular that in a move of self-preservation before the next biennial vote , Republicans will impeach him and go to the people "See, we are all about protecting 'Merica".  It's Win-Win for Rebuplicans... show the people that they are about protecting the Republic from a wanna-b-dictator, thus having a much better chance at re-election and keeping the House and Putting Mike Pence in as President... 

I still believe Trump will get impeached within two years by his own party. 

Of course, all the above is rendered moot "if" there is another 9/11 or 'Merica invades  brings democracy to another country.

14 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Good post and I agree with most of what you are saying- but I don't think people will have to wait on the House changing... I think that Trump will become so toxic and unpopular that in a move of self-preservation before the next biennial vote , Republicans will impeach him and go to the people "See, we are all about protecting 'Merica".  It's Win-Win for Rebuplicans... show the people that they are about protecting the Republic from a wanna-b-dictator, thus having a much better chance at re-election and keeping the House and Putting Mike Pence in as President... 

Of course, all the above is rendered moot "if" there is another 9/11 or 'Merica invades  brings democracy to another country.

Sadly to say, the timing makes this likely.  They just have to pick out their next "random target". 

19 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

There is always that possibility.  Pence is more up their alley but I just dont think they'd do it.  Although as the mid-terms approach, if Trump's floundering begins to drag down other members of the party, they will want him gone.  You might even hear about them suggesting a change to Pence in an effort to show Americans that they have changed.

But I dont think that is likely.  We see it even in replies in this thread, some people become completely blinded by their political leanings.  Right Wing?  Then you support your guy no matter what.  Its truly sad because its indicative of a broken system in that people dont care about issues or character or anything other then winning.  Im a conservative.  I dare say I liked W.  Loved Harper.  Cant stand the Liberals.  But Trump is so wrong, so bad, so toxic that I'd rather have 20 years of Democrats then one year of Trump.  Because it's wrong.  And the Republicans that hold their nose and support him because it means they win are doing a disservice to their country and constituents. 

I think the most likely end game is Trump not running for re-election.  He will declare mission accomplished and step down rather then risk losing.  He might do it early to hand over to Pence but at worst, he'd wait til the switch over.  But its guys like Bannon who you wonder about.

I joked that you know something is happening when Pence gets embroiled in a scandal (perpetrated by Bannon's boys) and taken out, then either Bannon or Kushner get put in as VP. Trump steps down and the mess continues.  Its hard to imagine Bannon wanting to give up power so easily as to simply leave with Trump in 2-4 years. 

EDIT: I should also say that I think Americans actually re-electing Trump are more likely than another 9/11 that suddenly lifts Trump to popularity.  I think Americans would be very suspicious.  Not all ofcourse.  There will be that core group of ultra right wing nationalist racists that will embrace Trump no matter what.  But as time goes on he likely appeals more and more to them and less and less to everyone else.  But you cant discount the short attention spans of Americans who might just re-elect the guy.

Edited by The Unknown Poster