MOS Bringing the gang all back

rebusrankin

2 hours ago, tracker said:

In this case, the team lost two fo the last three games, and the two they lost were critical. One of the games, if won would have given the Bombers a home playoff game and the other would have allowed the team to advance to the western final. Both were winnable (in my opinion) but the current edition was just not good enough. Are we going to be content with "almosts"?

When you say "we" do you mean us fans or the management?

Obviously the fans do not make the decisions although I suppose we have some minor influence. Still, Walters and Miller will decide O'Shea's fate and O'Shea will have the final say. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he says "Thanks for letting me serve my apprenticeship here, sorry for the blunders, but I'm off to Toronto" or some such. Has he improved during his 3 years here? I'd say yes, but that's not saying much. He was awful to begin with and he is still not a very good head coach. Maybe in another 5-7 years but not yet. Will we be okay if he leaves? Certainly. The biggest difference on this team has been personnel, not coaching, and that's to Walters' credit. Do we have the players to win a championship? Perhaps, but not without great coaching. We saw that in the most recent opportunity to finally win a playoff game in which O'Shea failed miserably. If O'Shea decides to stay and Miller and Walters want him long term, I wouldn't be expecting any championships any time soon.

Nothing earth shattering, but....

would expect @Wpg_BlueBombers to get O'Shea extension done promptly following Grey Cup. #cfl now in news moratorium.

signing O'Shea critical for @Wpg_BlueBombers in attempt to move forward. FA players want to know who they will play for before signing #cfl

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nothing earth shattering, but....

would expect @Wpg_BlueBombers to get O'Shea extension done promptly following Grey Cup. #cfl now in news moratorium.

signing O'Shea critical for @Wpg_BlueBombers in attempt to move forward. FA players want to know who they will play for before signing #cfl

yeah its a terrible thing to have a question over who you will play for. With To, sask, and mtl in a rough spot, calgary not in great need of any thing, and our huge surge this year we could be a hot spot destination for vets looking for a run. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

yeah its a terrible thing to have a question over who you will play for. With To, sask, and mtl in a rough spot, calgary not in great need of any thing, and our huge surge this year we could be a hot spot destination for vets looking for a run. 

How many vets do you think are lining up to play for O'Shea after seeing the FG decision at the end of the West SF? 

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

How many vets do you think are lining up to play for O'Shea after seeing the FG decision at the end of the West SF? 

All of the ones you want.....the ones who wanna play for a coach that trusts them with the game on the line and then stands by his decision afterward when it doesn't pan out, and never once places blame on any player.

Edited by Noeller

30 minutes ago, J5V said:

I think any vet would call someone they know on the team and then after hearing about how much respect the coach has and how professional the environment is they will sign immediately.

20 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

So. Serious question for the ppl who want Mike gone (not sure why I'm even asking as I probably won't get an answer to this) but what do we do once he is gone? It's easy to say fire a guy or hope he leaves but then what. Who's available to bring in? Just as an example Mike goes to TO and we get Scott. Ok great. New HC, new OC, new DC, new QB, new,new,new. We start over from scratch. Another 2-3 yr rebuild and nothing to show for it. And what does it do for the players? The guys in he room clearly like the coach and he players they are with. There is several comments from them they all like it and want to come back. So now you get a new HC and the players say F this and want to bolt likely to TO. So all are good players we want to retain are now gone. If you haven't noticed changing your HC every 2-3 years doesn't work. And when it does its few and far between. And on an extreme case what if a guy like Jones comes in and axes the entire roster. Is that really what we need or want? How about another season with a good draft some more FAs and a system the players are now used to. Sure make some minor changes in staff maybe Hall out but that would be the extent of it. So once again I ask. What's the solution after getting rid of Mike?

Play football. Hire a new coach. Maybe try a proven, experienced head coach. Do you know what players and fans like more than MOS? Winning. If MOS is not the right guy it doesn't matter if he's here for 100 years, you're not going to win anything. If Jones comes in and axes the entire roster and we win, I'm okay with it, just like the fans in Sask. will be okay with it if it works there. Mike is no different than any other personnel. If you can upgrade and improve the product, do it! 

After the failed 61 yard FG attempt with 36 seconds left I asked myself, do I want a management group that runs my team like a social organization where we sit around the campfire and roast marsh mellows and lie to each other about how great we are, or do I want to win? Once I realized the answer I wanted O'Shea fired immediately. If that bone-headed decision is rewarded with a contract extension that tells me that something other than winning a championship is the true goal of this organization. Kinda makes sense after 25 years.

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All of the ones you want.....the ones who wanna play for a coach that trusts them with the game on the line and then stands by his decision afterward when it doesn't pan out, and never once places blame on any player.

Maybe all of the ones YOU want.

With the game on the line MOS didn't trust his players or his OC to get him the 4 yards needed to have a realistic chance of winning. He had so little faith in them that he preferred to try a 61 FG in a dome, which had never been done before, in a playoff game, with the entire season on the line. 

He didn't have a choice. He couldn't blame any player. He took that opportunity away from them. He unbelievably parked them all on the bench at third and four. Medlock has never made a 61 yard FG in a game. His range is 57 yards, something he had told O'Shea. So he couldn't blame Medlock and he couldn't blame the rest of the players. He took it all on himself to hope for a miracle instead. Stupid, stubborn, and willing. 

At least now when the 13th man thing comes up Lapo can say, oh yeah, well what about O'Shea!

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think any vet would call someone they know on the team and then after hearing about how much respect the coach has and how professional the environment is they will sign immediately.

Unless of course they can go somewhere else and win a championship with a better coach.

11 hours ago, tracker said:

In this case, the team lost two fo the last three games, and the two they lost were critical. One of the games, if won would have given the Bombers a home playoff game and the other would have allowed the team to advance to the western final. Both were winnable (in my opinion) but the current edition was just not good enough. Are we going to be content with "almosts"?

So, the fact that this year there was clear improvement means nothing at all?   You sound like you were expecting this team to go from 5-13 last year and a 1-4 start to 2016 and then do what exactly, win the Cup?  You do realize that this team might actually get better, right?  You sound completely unrealistic, and I'm trying to be charitable in my description.  Take a chill pill and if at this time next year we're in the same position then feel free to *****.  Jeez...  

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

The only vets that won't want to play for a coach that might have screwed up are the ones that have never screwed up themselves.  How many of those do you think are out there?

It's far more likely that the only vets that won't want to play for a coach that definitely screwed up are the ones that played their hearts out to win and had a stupid coach make a bone-headed decision that cost them victory. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Obviously the fans do not make the decisions although I suppose we have some minor influence. Still, Walters and Miller will decide O'Shea's fate and O'Shea will have the final say. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he says "Thanks for letting me serve my apprenticeship here, sorry for the blunders, but I'm off to Toronto" or some such. Has he improved during his 3 years here? I'd say yes, but that's not saying much. He was awful to begin with and he is still not a very good head coach. Maybe in another 5-7 years but not yet. Will we be okay if he leaves? Certainly. The biggest difference on this team has been personnel, not coaching, and that's to Walters' credit. Do we have the players to win a championship? Perhaps, but not without great coaching. We saw that in the most recent opportunity to finally win a playoff game in which O'Shea failed miserably. If O'Shea decides to stay and Miller and Walters want him long term, I wouldn't be expecting any championships any time soon.

We have no way to know for sure but you may be giving Walters too much credit for the personnel currently on the roster.  The way Walters, O'Shea and Miller are connected at the hip I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't all share in the job of deciding which personnel to bring in.  Add to that, LaPo and Hall's input as former H.C.'s and long-time members of the CFL fraternity and this team could easily have been formed by committee with Walters serving as the spokesperson.  For example, in the case of Heath was it Walters sole decision to pursue that specific player or did Richie Hall tell him which DB he wanted most from the Argos.

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

It's far more likely that the only vets that won't want to play for a coach that definitely screwed up are the ones that played their hearts out to win and had a stupid coach make a bone-headed decision that cost them victory. 

Actually, the few pros that I do know seem to be pretty sensible guys who understand that everyone screws up from time to time and they also don't seem to live out their careers following the dumb sports cliches that fans believe.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We have no way to know for sure but you may be giving Walters too much credit for the personnel currently on the roster.  The way Walters, O'Shea and Miller are connected at the hip I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't all share in the job of deciding which personnel to bring in.  Add to that, LaPo and Hall's input as former H.C.'s and long-time members of the CFL fraternity and this team could easily have been formed by committee with Walters serving as the spokesperson.  For example, in the case of Heath was it Walters sole decision to pursue that specific player or did Richie Hall tell him which DB he wanted most from the Argos.

Sure but my point remains that it was personnel that made the biggest difference, whoever was involved in selecting them, and not any coaching wizardry.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Im not a big mos fan. But that decision was very sound. Not the one id make, but 2 yards longer then his longest kick on the year. the real team MOP and the best season for a kicker in history. It does show he has faith in his players and will give them a chance to make a play. I dont think any one in the locker room would have any thing but high praise for mos. 

One of these days JV5, you're just going to have to let it go..about the FG thing. How about today?

Here's what an anonymous Coach or GM said..."I would've had my offence go for it, but that being said I wouldn't have been surprised if (Justin) Medlock made it. All the fans and media criticizing the decision to kick it would be saying he should have kicked it with the best kicker in the league if they went for it and didn't convert."

I didn't agree with the call either, but I've accepted it.

It's a HC's decision. A tough one, whether you accept it or not. Every coach has his thought process. O'Shea followed his. He trotted out his best player. And that 57 yard thing?  I wonder about that.

Would you be less upset if we didn't win because they threw a short pass..and it failed? Or a pass over the middle, and it was deflected? 

I've read a dozen different suggestions on what O'Shea should have done. For better results? Who knows.

Its the thought that we failed that haunts everybody...and there's no more season for us. 

It pisses me off to no extent. But that's where we are. 

But I got to go now...to the bathroom.