MOS Bringing the gang all back

rebusrankin

J5V, I've been reading your posts about Mike O'Shea. The simple truth of the matter is that you just don't fire a head coach who took a team from 6-12 to 11-7 in a single season & the WDSF then toss him. It just isn't done. The Bombers organization would look like a Ship Of Fools if they did that. Certainly it'd be sending out a lot of negative vibes to all the other coaches in the CFL about the state of the team, the people who run it & the kind of business they'd be doing. It would make no sense. Who'd want to come here knowing that being 2 games over .500 & making the playoffs isn't good enough to keep their job? O'Shea deserves a new contract. The guy's earned it. Other than Marc Trestman who would you want as head coach? Start naming names instead of using vague terms like, "Bring in an experienced coach". Who? Experience doesn't mean anything. Don Matthews went 0-9 in Toronto when he was given the Argos HC job in the middle of the season. George Cortez was a very good OC & turned out to be a very bad head coach. Both had plenty of experience but it didn't matter. Matthews is the second winningest head coach in the CFL all time with over 200 wins behind Wally Buono. The Bombers won't fire O'Shea & they'd be crazy to do it. He deserves to be here.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was thinking about our team today & doesn't it feel like we've emerged from some Dark Age? That there are better times ahead. Like a warm day in late March. You know better days are ahead.

certainly in a great position and a big step forward from previous years. The team has to take the next step next year and continue to win consistently but all things considered you couldnt ask to be in a better position.

No matter what the sport, professional athletes appreciate a coach who does not publicly blame them for the coach's mistakes. MOS took the blame for this but in reality the whole team let up in allowing BC back in the game regardless of the final play.

One of MOS's positive attributes in comparison to previous coaches is protecting the player in public and roasting them in private.  I presume most of us here have played sports or worked in a larger organisation and know how awful it is when the so called leader calls out everyone in public and acts like their bone headed decisions never happened. 

17 hours ago, J5V said:

Maybe all of the ones YOU want.

With the game on the line MOS didn't trust his players or his OC to get him the 4 yards needed to have a realistic chance of winning. He had so little faith in them that he preferred to try a 61 FG in a dome, which had never been done before, in a playoff game, with the entire season on the line. 

He didn't have a choice. He couldn't blame any player. He took that opportunity away from them. He unbelievably parked them all on the bench at third and four. Medlock has never made a 61 yard FG in a game. His range is 57 yards, something he had told O'Shea. So he couldn't blame Medlock and he couldn't blame the rest of the players. He took it all on himself to hope for a miracle instead. Stupid, stubborn, and willing. 

At least now when the 13th man thing comes up Lapo can say, oh yeah, well what about O'Shea!

Why would LaPo have to answer for the 13th man incident from Grey Cup 2009?  He ran the offence for the Riders and had nothing to do with that screwup.  Kavis Reed ran their special teams so it would be on him, and I think I recall him taking responsibility for it.  The only reason to associate LaPo with that is the TSN cameras catching his reaction to the penalty.  And frustration doesn't equal culpability. 

21 hours ago, J5V said:

Obviously the fans do not make the decisions although I suppose we have some minor influence. Still, Walters and Miller will decide O'Shea's fate and O'Shea will have the final say. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he says "Thanks for letting me serve my apprenticeship here, sorry for the blunders, but I'm off to Toronto" or some such. Has he improved during his 3 years here? I'd say yes, but that's not saying much. He was awful to begin with and he is still not a very good head coach. Maybe in another 5-7 years but not yet. Will we be okay if he leaves? Certainly. The biggest difference on this team has been personnel, not coaching, and that's to Walters' credit. Do we have the players to win a championship? Perhaps, but not without great coaching. We saw that in the most recent opportunity to finally win a playoff game in which O'Shea failed miserably. If O'Shea decides to stay and Miller and Walters want him long term, I wouldn't be expecting any championships any time soon.

There is an awful of "????" in this post.

But then it's Friday, so the idea of responding went away very quickly.

Today is a really good day.  I hope most of you are having a good day too.

Hat tip, sayonara.

21 hours ago, J5V said:

"Thanks for letting me serve my apprenticeship here, sorry for the blunders, but I'm off to Toronto" or some such. 

You constantly criticize Mike for being too loyal to his players... sometime warranted... so do you honestly think he would show zero loyalty to the organization that gave him the opportunity?...

19 hours ago, J5V said:

How many vets do you think are lining up to play for O'Shea after seeing the FG decision at the end of the West SF? 

You really think guys were watching that game and thought "well I never want to play for that team now after the coach showed faith in his kicker"...

19 hours ago, J5V said:

Hire a new coach. Maybe try a proven, experienced head coach.

This argument is so painfully shortsighted and debunked a million times over... where, exactly, are these mystical experienced, winning CFL head coaches just waiting for work??? 

I thought about taking the @mbrg approach here... but I just wanted to quickly touch on a few of the more insane blunders in this most recent rambling... @J5V you post some great stuff here but I'm wondering if you've just fallen off the edge after this most recent loss... see above post to feel better... I genuinely hope you have a good weekend... :) 

Edited by bearpants

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, J5V said:

How many vets do you think are lining up to play for O'Shea after seeing the FG decision at the end of the West SF? 

Do you honestly think that one play will effect the decision of even a single player. Give your head a shake. Preferably violently while adjacent to a wall. Your arguments are insane

2 minutes ago, yogi said:

Do you honestly think that one play will effect the decision of even a single player. Give your head a shake. Preferably violently while adjacent to a wall. Your arguments are insane

Better write Calgary off now too.

(And, the more I've had time to reflect, the more I realize how it wasn't that bad of a call. Still bad though.)

Why are posters who want MOS fired also the ones who think the Argo's are trying to poach him? If he's such a shitty coach like they say, repeatedly and endlessly, why would another team drop huge money to get him to head east? Do you not see the logical disconnect there?

(not singling anyone out, I've seen multiple people spout this **** here and on the other forums)

36 minutes ago, yogi said:

Why are posters who want MOS fired also the ones who think the Argo's are trying to poach him? If he's such a shitty coach like they say, repeatedly and endlessly, why would another team drop huge money to get him to head east? Do you not see the logical disconnect there?

(not singling anyone out, I've seen multiple people spout this **** here and on the other forums)

Alert: the Argos also thought that Willy was the messiah and turfed their whole receiving corps, as well as readying themselves to sack their coach.

37 minutes ago, yogi said:

Take it for what it's worth, but I had a diehard Stamps fan talking to me about MOS at curling last week, saying they thought he was the most important FA of the upcoming offseason. Thought he was absolutely one of the best coaches in the league and loved how prepared he has the players to start a game....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Take it for what it's worth, but I had a diehard Stamps fan talking to me about MOS at curling last week, saying they thought he was the most important FA of the upcoming offseason. Thought he was absolutely one of the best coaches in the league and loved how prepared he has the players to start a game....

Would that explain all those slow starts this season?

14 minutes ago, wookie said:

Walters will not let our coach walk to tor or mtl, i bet all the details are done, just waiting for the right day to have a press conf

Like it or nor, this probably gospel. Whether or not he gets a smoking hot offer to go back to his home province, that we cannot control. Walters wants O'Shea back, Period. And I do not consider how popular a coach is as a measure of how good as coach he is.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Like it or nor, this probably gospel. Whether or not he gets a smoking hot offer to go back to his home province, that we cannot control. Walters wants O'Shea back, Period. And I do not consider how popular a coach is as a measure of how good as coach he is.

There are things he does well and things he does poorly. The things he does poorly he seems to be taking a long time to improve upon, probably because of his stubbornness and pride. Things like: slow starts, undisciplined play, poor personnel choices due to misguided loyalty or poor judgement, dealing with the media, and of course, game management, especially at crucial times when the pressure is on.

Things he seems to do well are: challenges, special teams, being popular with the players, smirking, being snarky with the media, growing a beard.