Would we have any interest in Franklin?

Taynted_Fayth

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It would be well worth trading a first round draft pick just for the satisfaction of squeezing the last glimmer of hope out of the Rider mob.

xD trade em a 6th and some secret back room stuff to give em more later. just to watch the head of all rider fans explode. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, Noeller said:

this conversation already exists in another thread, but for about the 15th time: Franklin is under contract, and it has been reported that the Bombers are one of the teams most interested in him.

Why do people still think he is a free agent when it has been reported by credible sources that he isn't? The CFL needs to publish a free agent list & post it on their website.

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do people still think he is a free agent when it has been reported by credible sources that he isn't? The CFL needs to publish a free agent list & post it on their website.

They do.  Every year in the off-season.  Kind of dumb to do it now given that a ton of extensions will be signed before the new year.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They do.  Every year in the off-season.  Kind of dumb to do it now given that a ton of extensions will be signed before the new year.

The CFL website used to have a free agent list & then would update it if a player signed elsewhere or with his team. It just would be good to know who is available & who isn't. Last season a lot of players went to free agency instead of signing with their own team. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Contracts are a mere technicality. Which OL was it that was sask born, played with MTL became a FA signed with the riders then went nah on second thought im gonna sign another deal to stay in MTL? :lol:

I think a lot of people assume its still the old 1 year plus an option contracts. Would be nice if we had a reliable resource for following that stuff mid season.

http://www.tsn.ca/eskimos-sign-qb-reilly-to-contract-extension-1.471943

Thats the most info ive seen in a while. 

People need to remember that the only reason we even have Nichols, is because he basically lost his job as backup to Franklin. Of course Edmonton realizes Franklin's potential, and I agree with others here that it's a waste to let him sit on their depth chart as a backup... that said, if you were Edmonton...wouldn't you rather have Franklin sit behind Reilly as your backup, instead of him potentially burning as a starter playing elsewhere in the league?

I think he'd be a great fit in Winnipeg - but I don't think we should sell the farm to get him, and I don't think Edmonton would let him go for a seventh-round pick in the draft (which is what we traded to get Nichols).

57 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

People need to remember that the only reason we even have Nichols, is because he basically lost his job as backup to Franklin. Of course Edmonton realizes Franklin's potential, and I agree with others here that it's a waste to let him sit on their depth chart as a backup... that said, if you were Edmonton...wouldn't you rather have Franklin sit behind Reilly as your backup, instead of him potentially burning as a starter playing elsewhere in the league?

I think he'd be a great fit in Winnipeg - but I don't think we should sell the farm to get him, and I don't think Edmonton would let him go for a seventh-round pick in the draft (which is what we traded to get Nichols).

and if they were to trade him they'd probably much rather trade him to the east. I don't think anyone would pay more than Chris Jones to get him though, cause it was Jones who really loved him last year and made him the backup ahead of Nichols. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and if they were to trade him they'd probably much rather trade him to the east. I don't think anyone would pay more than Chris Jones to get him though, cause it was Jones who really loved him last year and made him the backup ahead of Nichols. 

I'm sure the Esks. are chomping at the bit to deal with Jones...After he walked out on them, I'm sure Hervey would like to plant a number nine shoe up Corkie's arse, never mind deal him a quality quarterback...Anywhere but Regina is most likely the chant in the backrooms of the schmoes...The only way that the Riders have a glimmer of a chance of obtaining Franklin's services would be through free agency...I don't think he makes it there, and will most likely be dealt and signed by another club long before that....

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I'm sure the Esks. are chomping at the bit to deal with Jones...After he walked out on them, I'm sure Hervey would like to plant a number nine shoe up Corkie's arse, never mind deal him a quality quarterback...Anywhere but Regina is most likely the chant in the backrooms of the schmoes...The only way that the Riders have a glimmer of a chance of obtaining Franklin's services would be through free agency...I don't think he makes it there, and will most likely be dealt and signed by another club long before that....

I dunno Hervey could maybe bend Jones over a barrel and show him the 50 states in a trade and **** up the Riders long term, after all, you can't win without canadians but Jones seems like he's the kind of guy who would happily trade away draft picks and such if he thinks getting his qb will help him win. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Montreal might be the only team in the the East that's in need and is also short-sighted enough to think that a quarterback would solve all their problems and heavily overpay for Frankllin via trade. Toronto already has Willy (I guess?), Ottawa still seems okay with their Burris/Harris combination and Hamilton has Collaros...

I don't really know what Montreal would really be able to offer Edmonton though, other than draft picks and potential future prospects. They released Carter and Stafford, their defense has some good players, but I think it'd be a tough sell to trade some defensive players for a QB - which is the most important position in the league.

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Montreal might be the only team in the the East that's in need and is also short-sighted enough to think that a quarterback would solve all their problems and heavily overpay for Frankllin via trade. Toronto already has Willy (I guess?), Ottawa still seems okay with their Burris/Harris combination and Hamilton has Collaros...

I don't really know what Montreal would really be able to offer Edmonton though, other than draft picks and potential future prospects. They released Carter and Stafford, their defense has some good players, but I think it'd be a tough sell to trade some defensive players for a QB - which is the most important position in the league.

Montreal already has their next QB.

Toronto has a need, I believe.

Interesting that both traded away their number 1 picks this year to acquire their QB of the future.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Unless Edmonton gets a lot in return, it makes no sense for them to trade Franklin. He knows their system, he's the best backup QB they are likely to get, not expensive and he has a huge upside.

Not to mention, they have a QB who plays 'on the edge' and is always at risk of getting injured.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎08 at 11:06 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

People are still talking about him as a FA, because there is a large contingent of Rider fans who seem to think he is the saviour of their crap hole team. One blowhard mororn who claims to have "connections" (but has been wrong about virtually everything the last year or so) is stating these mythical sources have told him Franklin is scheduled to be a FA.