Would we have any interest in Franklin?

Taynted_Fayth

How do you not have interest in Franklin??....As well as talented and according to a few reports is of solid character , we would be foolish not to have a look...His contract status right now is a little confusing...Some say he is a fa at years end...some say he's still under contract, which for us, would be ideal if we wanted to pry him out of Edm. in a trade....Might cost us deep and could involve our number 1 pic...Are we prepared to go down that road???I'm sure it's crossed Walter's mind but with the season far from done, I don't think it's a current priority...IF we are bounced out of the playoffs by B.C....a one and done.. and Nichols fails to impress, I think the pursuit of Franklin get's ramped up...Taming the lions is no 1 right now.

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

How do you not have interest in Franklin??....As well as talented and according to a few reports is of solid character , we would be foolish not to have a look...His contract status right now is a little confusing...Some say he is a fa at years end...some say he's still under contract, which for us, would be ideal if we wanted to pry him out of Edm. in a trade....Might cost us deep and could involve our number 1 pic...Are we prepared to go down that road???I'm sure it's crossed Walter's mind but with the season far from done, I don't think it's a current priority...IF we are bounced out of the playoffs by B.C....a one and done.. and Nichols fails to impress, I think the pursuit of Franklin get's ramped up...Taming the lions is no 1 right now.

Hes not a FA. 

He showed some impressive flashes, but so did masoli and half a dozen other guys this year. Many of them on worse offenses. Its too small a sample size to sell the farm on. Especially in a year that will see durant, glenn, hank, tate, nichols, etc as FAs. 

I'd certainly be interested in Franklin, more than Durant, Glenn or Hank for what it's worth. He's played some very good football in his limited reps. He's young. Strong. Throws a great ball. Tons of upside IMO. Not sure that Nichols would like to see him in Winnipeg though, as he already took Nichols backup job away from him in Edmonton.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hes not a FA. 

He showed some impressive flashes, but so did masoli and half a dozen other guys this year. Many of them on worse offenses. Its too small a sample size to sell the farm on. Especially in a year that will see durant, glenn, hank, tate, nichols, etc as FAs. 

not just this year, last year his stat line was 7gp 84/133 for 973 yards 6 tds 1 int 16 carries for 140 yards

12 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

not just this year, last year his stat line was 7gp 84/133 for 973 yards 6 tds 1 int 16 carries for 140 yards

Thats still a tiny combined sample size. Idk if there is another back up qb in the league with up side and a lack of experience worth getting more excited about then him. But with the amount of proven vets who can win games, that devalues him some. Unlike the shopping spree of willy/harris/collaros. 

He isnt the guy Id want backing up the no1 ideally. Id want one of the guys who can come in a win a game. The value to get him would be too great for a no3. At that point id rather look through the US and see what we can dig up our selfs. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd certainly be interested in Franklin, more than Durant, Glenn or Hank for what it's worth. He's played some very good football in his limited reps. He's young. Strong. Throws a great ball. Tons of upside IMO. Not sure that Nichols would like to see him in Winnipeg though, as he already took Nichols backup job away from him in Edmonton.

I think that all comes down to cost. If we stick with nichols we need a guy on the bench who can come in and win games. If we got durant or hank (shudder) we'd need a guy who can come in and win. Because you cant rely on their health. 

Assuming we retain nichols at starter money with incentives if he becomes elite that should leave us some cash to bring in an appropriate vet. Maybe a blue chip prospect too. 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

The best part it we are much better set up on the oline receivers to bring a young guy in than the last time we tried that.

No joke. Qb is probably the toughest position to get/develop. But it doesnt matter who you have back there if they dont have atleast an OL to keep em off their butt. Another year for most of this core together, maybe even going with another imp (foketi) this could be the best OL in the league next year. That plus the silly amount of weapons we have is gonna make it very desirable for our starting qb(s) next year. Plus harris. The only real negative is plop. 

22 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Don't you guys understand that every single FA in the history of the CFL wants to play for the Riders?  And the Riders should be given first right of refusal for ALL those players?  This can't be news to you.  

Of course. Its the riders league, they just let us all play in it. 

16 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Franklin.  Everyone going nuts over this guy, especially those just west of you.   He's an Eskimo and will be next year unless he is traded. I don't get the coveting of other teams players.  Find your own I say. 

Ahh....you're just scared we'll pry him loose and have a qb. equal to Jennings.........orrrrrr maybe even better...We coveted Medlock and he didn't turn out too bad..heh heh

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I would strongly consider OUR first round pick for Franlkin (keep Toronto's) at the end of the day its better for Edmonton to move Franklin for some assets then leave them with nothing around this time next year.

Meh...Edmonton is good enough to win now.  Why would they want to make their team worse for "assets" that are basically a toss at a dartboard?  If Reilly goes down week 1 next year they are still a contender with Franklin.

19 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Don't you guys understand that every single FA in the history of the CFL wants to play for the Riders?  And the Riders should be given first right of refusal for ALL those players?  This can't be news to you.  

So you got green people riled at you. Can't see how that happened.

3 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Franklin.  Everyone going nuts over this guy, especially those just west of you.   He's an Eskimo and will be next year unless he is traded. I don't get the coveting of other teams players.  Find your own I say. 

easy to say when wally buono runs your team and can find a good QBs easier then fat kids find cake. :lol:

1 hour ago, Nolby said:

I understand the guy had a very good game but IT'S 1 GAME. Are you really putting all your eggs into one basket already?

More about putting his eggs in our basket.

It seems this subject can't come up without the perception of devoted loyalty to Nichols or thinking he is a bum.  I am very appreciative of what Nichols has done for this team this season.  We would not be in this position without his contributions.  At the same time, many of us have been exposed to his limitations.  He is also a FA at the end of this season.  What kind of commitment are we willing to make to keep him?

The simplest way I can put it is there are teams who have (or believe they have) a franchise QB.  A guy who can be a superstar in this league.  We aren't one of those teams.  Nichols is not that guy.  We can put a great team around Nichols, and he can do enough to help us win games.  Or, we can keep trying to find our own BLM/Reilly/Jennings to put that great team around, and he can put us on his back and help us win championships.

Keeping Nichols is the smart thing to do, but I'm still hoping and expecting this team to remain on the lookout for our next superstar QB.  Maybe that's Franklin.  Maybe not.  There is no crystal ball for this stuff, but he has displayed some signs of having that potential.  It's a shame that the going rate for a backup QB is a first round pick (and we helped set that rate), but so be it.  It's worth any perceived risk to land a guy with that potential.

I don't view it as an either/or situation.  Re-sign Nichols.  Try to get Franklin as well.  Between the two, this franchise should be in a position to have continued success going forward.