In Case You Missed It - Sept. 22 StatStuff

Mr Dee

Week 13

bye week - BC

CFL History
In the 1923 Grey Cup, Regina lost to Queen's 54-0 (still a record). Like today, no one in Saskatchewan was sober enough to notice

Didier Ormejuste
The Alouettes are currently $300k over the salary cap. They have eight weeks to "fix" this problem.

?‍?This is the second time I've heard this quote and I so disagree with the way it's presented.
"A Caleb Holley fumble when Saskatchewan was in position for go-ahead points led to the deciding Bombers touchdown."
It was a Kevin Fogg strip that caused that turnover. It was not a fumble per se. It was a strip.

Scott Milanovich
I don’t see Drew as a project,” Milanovich said. “I see Drew as a bonafide upper tier starter. Now when and if that will be for us, I don’t know.”

CFL History
Most teams apply an 'us against the world' mentality, but seeing as it hasn't worked, Jim Popp has started an 'us against us' mentality #CFL

Arash Madani
Few #CFL coaches and front office execs are surprised with what's happening at Alouettes HQ. They say it's a ticking time bomb. Today, boom.

Jeff Hamilton
During my brief time in the Alouettes dressing room a couple weeks back it was clear Glenn was the leader. Also thought DC was a good dude.

Scott Billeck
Glenn asked if it’s good to be out of Montreal: “It’s good to be in Winnipeg.” #Bombers #Als #CFL - ?‍?Diplomacy...

Bill Beacon - the Canadian Press
It’s about respect,” a still-seething Cato said after he was brought back to speak to the media by Reed. “I may not know you from a can of paint, but I’m going to respect you every day.
“That’s how I feel about life. I’m not going to just take BS from anybody. I just want to be treated as a man. Nothing less.”
Neither Cato nor the receivers would say what exactly caused him to lose his cool late in the two-hour workout at Stade Hébert

CFL Communications
Week 12's average TV ratings were up 15% compared to Week 12 last season. #CFL

3downnation
'I'm just not gonna take BS from anybody' @MTLAlouettes QB Cato sounds off. #CFL #AlsMTL
wp.me/p65Ld4-4JT

Derek Taylor
Consolation for @sskroughriders fans...@dariandurant has the most receiving yards among QBs this season!

Gary Lawless
be cool if Kroppy became #nhljets version of the Kate Smith anthems in Philly. On important game nights, incorporate Kroppy into anthem

BC Lions Den
People say they don't come because of a lack of atmosphere. How about you show up and contribute to that atmosphere? #BCLions #CFL

Kirk Penton
Speaking of the Alouettes, head coach Jim Popp told La Presse last week that he will not be head coach in 2017.

-BY THE NUMBERS
14 – Home victories for the Lions over the Alouettes in the last 16 years
1,193 – Penalties called through Week 12 last season
1,087 – Penalties called through Week 12 this season
9.1 – Percentage drop in penalty calls this season

Cool story
On Labour Day Classic weekend a Regina family was in the ticket office hoping to buy ducats to the game, but they couldn’t afford them. Jonathan Newsome was walking through the office at the time, noticed the situation and bought them tickets.
According to Pedersen, the fans broke down in tears. When the story got out and Newsome was praised online, he acknowled “I just couldn’t let the lady and her daughter leave without those tickets. It was only right. When your blessed, bless others

Darrin Bauming
Justin Cole has four sacks in six games this year. I don't think enough people are talking about the #Bombers rush end. @JColeWrld

CFL Headlines
Alouettes add quarterback Shane Carden bit.ly/2cwXDCP #CFL
?‍? Yeah, this is exactly what the Alouettes need at this time...

Paul Friesen
The Riders are on the verge of setting a CFL record. With seven games to go, they’ve already tied a league mark by dressing 84 different players this season (that record was set by Hamilton in 2013). 

Eric M
Unclear if Bombers prefer either Cole or Green. They rotate every 2 snaps quite consistently and both play a similar, hybrid role. #CFL
-Justin Cole played 39 defensive snaps in the LDC; 18 at LE (3 twists), 11 at RE (1 twist; 1 QB spy), 6 at MLB (2 bluffs w/ zone cov.). #CFL

CFL Headlines
Best, LaBatte likely done for the season bit.ly/2cAv0ED #CFL

CFL.caStaff
Trade winds: Following Winnipeg’s quarterback trades, here’s a look at the most significant in-season trades involving QBs:

1961 – Joe Kapp traded by Calgary to BC for Jim Walden and four other players
1974 – Hamilton traded Chuck Ealey to Winnipeg for Don Jonas
1974 – Peter Liske was traded by Calgary to BC for Karl Douglas
1983 – Maybe the most significant trade that involved two eventual Hall of Famers: Dieter Brock traded by Winnipeg to Hamilton in exchange for Tom Clements
1983 – John Hufnagel was traded from Saskatchewan to Winnipeg for Nickie Hall

Sean Murray
In 26 years of being a @Wpg_BlueBombers fan never once has a  QB called to make sure I was ready for a game...until today! Thanks @qterback5

Duron Carter
My tweets should be treated as more satire that anything else ???

Paul LaPolice...on Matt Nichols
"I think (Matt Nichols) is a good fit because he's a good quarterback."

CFL.caStaff
Since the rule change to coaches’ challenges in Week 10, the average of challenges has dropped to 2.25 per game from 2.46. In the time since the change there has been 27 challenges with nine calls being overturned (33.3%) in 12 games.

-Following last week’s overtime game between Calgary and Edmonton, five games have gone to an extra frame in the 2016 season. The CFL season record for overtime games in a single season is eight, set in 1992 and tied in 2002.

-Since 2006 the CFL’s three highest-scoring seasons are: 2008 (56.2 points per game), 2010 (52.9) and 2016 (52.6).

Since Anthony Calvillo’s last start 58 games ago, the Alouettes have used the following QBs to compile a 24-34 (.414) record: Josh Neiswander, Tanner Marsh, Troy Smith, Jonathan Crompton, Alex Brink, Rakeem Cato, Anthony Boone, Kevin Glenn, Brandon Bridge and Vernon Adams.

Ticats.ca
Montreal’s Red Zone defence is keeping the Alouettes in games. They have stopped 15 of the last 23 opponent Red Zone chances.

Ed Tait - Blue Bombers.com
The Bombers are 7-1 when winning the turnover ratio this year
They are +23 in the turnover ratio, first overall (Calgary second at +13, Saskatchewan last at -18).
Winnipeg has just 17 giveaways (second fewest to Calgary at 13)
The 40 takeaways by the Bombers include 20 interceptions, 14 fumbles and six on downs. (Toronto is next with 29 takeaways).
From those 40 takeaways, the Bombers have generated 100 points.
Little wonder Chris Randle, who is likely to return to the lineup this week, said Tuesday he had never been a part of a defence like this.
“Me, either,” said Bombers defensive end Jamaal Westerman.

Those numbers are also emblematic of a defence that feels comfortable in its scheme and willing to be aggressive in making plays on the ball.

It’s worthwhile here to put some of these numbers into perspective. The +23 ratio is impressive, given that the club record is +27, set in 1987. The CFL record, FYI, is +41, set in 1981 by the Grey Cup champion Edmonton Eskimos.

Gary Lawless
Hearing Henoc Muamba has turned his attention to @cfl #cfl. Price will be an issue with lots of team in salary cap hell

?‍?Nutty decision...
3downnation
#CFL punts @JDunk12 & @rodpedersen from website. #Riders #Ticats #Bombers #journalism 
wp.me/p65Ld4-4Ko

"I'm one of the happiest guys out there on game day... I don't take it for granted." - Matt Nichols

Bob Irving
Rod pederson is misunderstood--he is an entertainer who says outrageous  things to stir the pot. Cfl.ca took him too seriously? carry on rod

CFL Communications
7 penalties in tonight's @Ticats and @MTLAlouettes game matches the lowest combined single-game penalty total in the last 20 years. #CFL

Quick Fix: The Stamps have turned the ball over a league-low 13 times in 11 games this season #CFLGameDay

CFL game notes
Q4/OT game-winning drives: BC’s Jonathon Jennings leads with 4, while Nichols, Mitchell and Mike Reilly have two each.

The CFL began recording 2nd down conversion catches in 2009 and since then no player has matched Nik Lewis’ production. In 2016 he leads the CFL with 28 receptions for first downs on 2nd down plays – 39% of his 72 receptions have produced key first downs. Here is his record year-by-year making those clutch catches:
2016: 28 2015: 25 2014: 13 2013: 9 2012: 34 2011: 27 2010: 29 2009: 16 TOTAL: 156
2ND DOWN CONVERSION CATCHES - 2009 TO 2016:
Nik Lewis 156 Andy Fantuz 141 Marquay McDaniel 127 Weston Dressler 143 Adarius Bowman 137

Edmonton is currently not in a playoff position at 5-7 in a season following their Grey Cup victory last year. The last Grey Cup winning team to not make the playoffs the following season was Edmonton in 2006.

The Eskimos and Blue Bombers have been the toughest to return kicks against for long gains. Each has allowed only 4 long “big play” returns thus far with Winnipeg the #1 punt return cover unit. Winnipeg has allowed only a 7.7 yard average by opponents on punt returns; Edmonton’s strength is in kickoff coverage where they are #1 at just 18.5 yards by their opponents.

Gary Lawless
CFL is a unique league and needs passionate reporters. Critical and interested are not bad things. Rod will continue ranting, Dunk will dig.

Paul Friesen
Battle of the kickers so far has seen a 38-yd KO and a 12-yd punt. #Bombers Argos.

?‍?Ok, I think I follow this. McDuffie's last return touchdown was against the #Bombers in July 2014 with #Ticats, whose starter that day was Dan LeFevour. That's something.

Scott Fisher -Calgary Herald
Remember Chris Williams? You know, No. 80? The RedBlacks wideout ripped the Stamps apart in Ottawa (10 catches, 130 yards, three TDs). Stamps secondary coach Kahlil Carter said they had the plan this time. The result: one catch, four yards. Take a bow, Kahlil …

Blue Bomber Alumni
Good things come in threes ...  Congrats to the @MBBisons @Wpg_BlueBombers & @WinnipegRifles!

?‍?Of note, according to Joel Gasson, the Sask offence is coming off a week where they went two-and-out a season-high nine times.

John Hodge -3downnation
The Bombers were stellar on short yardage versus Toronto, gaining a jaw-dropping 18 yards on four 3rd down short yardage situations. TSN1290’s Darrin Bauming reported that the Bombers made short yardage an area of focus in practice this week — clearly, the hard work paid off.

Matt Nichols is now 9-5 as the starter of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers dating back to last year’s Banjo Bowl. He is two victories shy of Drew Willy (11) for quarterback wins on the Bombers’ all-time list. 

Weston Dressler proved again on Saturday afternoon that he’s still an elite receiver in the CFL, recording eight receptions on ten targets for 93 yards and drawing yet another long pass interference penalty. Dressler now has 659 receiving yards on the season, good for sixteenth in the CFL despite starting just eight games 

?‍?-special teams was ...special. 
22 points to start the game and keep the game in reach. 29-22. Then offence. Then defence. We had it all.
I'm not sure if lead-foot Drew Willy could have provided  4 TD performance against our D
4 TDs by Saturday night? LeFevour. Pretty good.

Blue Bomber talk - The #Bombers allowed 285 offensive yards in the first half, one week after allowing 288 net yards in the entire Banjo Bowl. #Argos #CFL
Dan LeFevour has 4 TD passes in 35 minutes of action today. Willy & Nichols have a combined 12 TDs all season. #Bombers #Argos #CFL
Messam, in his game, only ran for 35 yards. Unfortunately, Whitaker rushed for 108 and is now in 2nd place in rushing. Messam - 739, Whitaker - 700, Harris - 677

Darrin Bauming
Matt Nichols went 11-of-12 for 109 yards and a TD in the second half. #Bombers

"I can't say enough about Timothy Flanders... He pays such close attention to what the opponent is doing." - Coach O'Shea

?‍?Can the Bombers learn from what the Riders did against Edmonton on Sunday? According to Yahoo Sports writer Andrew Busholtz, the strategy was to have the two top DBs cover Bowman and Walker. Bowman got a lot of yards but no TDs, while Walker was held to 44 yards, Something to think about.

But, 1st, let's take care of Calgary..

Next bye

The newly-Coached? Montreal Alouettes.

Edited by Mr Dee

Did that guy not watch our secondary shut Bowman and Walker down earlier this year IN edmonton?

Yes, good point.

Richie Hall also had both cornerbacks stay on the same side all game in the Toronto game. Pretty unusual strategy.

Randle played 100% of the snaps at left corner, while Adams played 100% at right corner. As it turned out, both Randle and Adams playe 28 snaps at field-corner and 28 snaps at boundary-corner. "Meanwhile, nothing change for the halfbacks - Fogg (boundary) and Johnson (field) each played all snaps at their regular positions."

12 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

The big touchdown on Randle look like he stumbled and fell

Yeah, he stumbled, and there is a short clip on it in the same article.

Check out this informative article here:

https://bomberbuzz.com/2016/09/20/bombers-secondary-quietly-impresses-in-debut-of-randle-adams/

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

He's not the first first coach who was more comfortable sticking with a vet - Dave Ritchie anyone?

Wally let Reilly go to stick with Lulaly, let's all laugh at him too implying that he knows jack about qbs too right?

Or how about the Esks dynasty letting qb after qb move on

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Wally let Reilly go to stick with Lulaly, let's all laugh at him too implying that he knows jack about qbs too right?

Or how about the Esks dynasty letting qb after qb move on

He also traded for Buck Pierce way after his expiration date...  for years Buono has made questionable decisions.

With Toronto they had 2 young guys... Harris clearly demonstrated that he can start in this league and Ray was already prone to injuries by that point... yet they decided to go old instead of young.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

He also traded for Buck Pierce way after his expiration date...  for years Buono has made questionable decisions.

With Toronto they had 2 young guys... Harris clearly demonstrated that he can start in this league and Ray was already prone to injuries by that point... yet they decided to go old instead of young.  

Perhaps trusting in their ability to develop young qbs behind Ray, seeing as they did it with Harris and Collaros. Sticking with the vet isn't a mistake, especially when they did make good offers to keep Harris and he opted to leave anyway. 

On 2016-09-20 at 9:00 AM, Mr Dee said:

Yes, good point.

Richie Hall also had both cornerbacks stay on the same side all game in the Toronto game. Pretty unusual strategy.

Randle played 100% of the snaps at left corner, while Adams played 100% at right corner. As it turned out, both Randle and Adams playe 28 snaps at field-corner and 28 snaps at boundary-corner. "Meanwhile, nothing change for the halfbacks - Fogg (boundary) and Johnson (field) each played all snaps at their regular positions."

Yeah, he stumbled, and there is a short clip on it in the same article.

Check out this informative article here:

https://bomberbuzz.com/2016/09/20/bombers-secondary-quietly-impresses-in-debut-of-randle-adams/

Good article, I found the following clip interesting.

While it’s fair to say that Randle and Adams didn’t quite live up to all the hype in their first game on the field together, they both showed flashes of why they’re each regarded as elite cornerbacks in the league. Bombers’ fans have debated plentifully which of the two would be moved to field corner upon their return to health, and seeing as they’re each too good to be wasted out wide, the Bombers’ solution was quite intriguing. Rather than having one always align in the short-side and one always align to the wide-side, Randle played 100% of his snaps at left cornerback, and Adams played 100% of his snaps at right cornerback.

This strategy is not seen in today’s Canadian Football League. The standard procedure for teams is to put their best cornerback in the boundary and their worst cover-man at wide-side corner, where he’ll be targeted far less as the throws are tougher to make. The Bombers, however, have two stud cornerbacks, so why not have them each play both positions pending on what side of the field the ball is scrimmaged from?

Coincidentally, both Randle and Adams each played 28 snaps at field-corner and 28 snaps at boundary-corner. Meanwhile, nothing changed for the halfbacks – Fogg (boundary) and Johnson (field) each played all 56 snaps at their regular positions.

Working with a different halfback depending on if they were playing short-side corner or wide-side corner would seem to have been a challenge for Randle and Adams, but there weren’t any visible communication errors. Although it’s unknown if the Bombers will continue to deploy their stud cornerbacks in this fashion going forward, it was a much better first game for this now-healthy unit than some might think

?‍?StatsStuff
Odd thing - the Bombers have the same number of sacks - allowed, and made by the defence...24

Medlock - up 10 in the scoring lead.
Medlock - the only current kicker to have made all his converts 21-21

Winnipeg is 6th in net offence and 8th in net offence allowed. But this doesn't translate into points as the Bombers are 2nd in points allowed.
Bombers are only 6th in rushing yards. BC leads all teams. 
Bombers are 4th in allowing rushing yards, but 9th in passing yardage allowed.
                      3rd in sacks allowed.
                      2nd in completion percentage
Bombers have dropped to 7th in TOP
Winnipeg is 4th in penalties taken.
                Is 3rd fewest in two-and-outs
                is 1st in fewest opponent red zone chances allowed.
                is last in punting avg. but 3rd in net punting..
Harris is still #1 in yards from scrimmage.
Westerman leads the Bombers with 5 sacks - 8th in the league.
Leggett and Heath lead in interceptions Leggett 6  Heath 5

Kirk Penton
The length of current head coaching tenures, from longest to shortest:
Scott Milanovich, Tor Dec. 1, 2011
Kent Austin, Ham Dec. 17, 2012
Mike O’Shea, Wpg Dec. 4, 2013
Rick Campbell, Ott Dec. 6, 2013
Dave Dickenson, Cgy Nov. 8, 2015
Wally Buono, B.C. Dec. 2, 2015
Chris Jones, Sask Dec. 8, 2015
Jason Maas, Edm Dec. 14, 2015
*Jacques Chapdelaine, Mtl Sept. 19, 2016
* interim

11 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

?‍?StatsStuff
Odd thing - the Bombers have the same number of sacks - allowed, and made by the defence...24

Medlock - up 10 in the scoring lead.
Medlock - the only current kicker to have made all his converts 21-21

Winnipeg is 6th in net offence and 8th in net offence allowed. But this doesn't translate into points as the Bombers are 2nd in points allowed.
Bombers are only 6th in rushing yards. BC leads all teams. 
Bombers are 4th in allowing rushing yards, but 9th in passing yardage allowed.
                      3rd in sacks allowed.
                      2nd in completion percentage
Bombers have dropped to 7th in TOP
Winnipeg is 4th in penalties taken.
                Is 3rd fewest in two-and-outs
                is 1st in fewest opponent red zone chances allowed.
                is last in punting avg. but 3rd in net punting..
Harris is still #1 in yards from scrimmage.
Westerman leads the Bombers with 5 sacks - 8th in the league.
Leggett and Heath lead in interceptions Leggett 6  Heath 5

Kirk Penton
* interim

That coaching tenure point is pretty interesting. I never thought about how much turnover there is. Although some coaches just slide in so the continuity really as bad as the dates would say initially. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Kirk Penton

* interim

This head coaching business is a tough gig.  Sure hope BC gives that Buono kid some time to learn his craft.

#rookieheadcoaches

On 9/21/2016 at 9:47 AM, Brandon said:

Only time will tell who was right. I can understand Milanovich maybe thinking that with a mentor like Ray a QB like Willy can really excel. Of all the QBs in the league currently playing, I suspect none understand the X's and O's of the game better than Ray. He can take a defense and slice and dice it like few before him. Whether he can impart that knowledge to Willy remains to be seen but I would be a very happy Bomber fan if Willy were still here and he was being mentored by a cagey old vet like Ricky Ray.