The Root of the Problem

BigBlue

19 hours ago, pigseye said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but, the exhaustive search to fill the positions must have been done by a myopic committee as a quick perusal of their CV's would have immediately revealed that none had the qualifications necessary for such important positions. To say it was a gamble, would be an insult to the profession.

For those of you that understand this process better than I please correct me but my understanding is that the Board is only responsible for hiring the president and CEO (Miller) and Miller is the only one that reports directly to the Board. The Board reviews Miller's performance annually and they concern themselves with the business side of things, not the on-field product. As long as Miller is handling the finances of the club properly, the board doesn't really concern themselves with the on-field product. The on-field performance of the club would be a concern to the Board only inasmuch as it affects the bottom line.

It is Miller, not the Board, who is 100% responsible for the on-field product and the current state of the on-field performance of the team. Miller is 100% culpable for hiring Walters and likewise Walters for hiring O'Shea and O'Shea in turn for hiring his assisstants. It is Miller, and to a lesser extend, Walters and O'Shea, who answer to the fans for the miserable state of the on-field performance of this football team, but they don't have to. As a fan, I hold all three responsible but it is Miller, ultimately, that I expect a winning football team from.

As a fan, I want Miller to tell me WTF is wrong with this team and how he is going to fix it. Sadly, Miller is free to ignore me and/or tell me to FO as Miller only reports to the Board, and the Board doesn't care what a fan thinks as long as the team is making money.

No one must answer to the fan and the fan has no say in the on or off-field performance of the club. That, to me, is the root of the problem.

Edited by J5V

29 minutes ago, J5V said:

For those of you that understand this process better than I please correct me but my understanding is that the Board is only responsible for hiring the president and CEO (Miller) and Miller is the only one that reports directly to the Board. The Board reviews Miller's performance annually and they concern themselves with the business side of things, not the on-field product. As long as Miller is handling the finances of the club properly, the board doesn't really concern themselves with the on-field product. The on-field performance of the club would be a concern to the Board only inasmuch as it affects the bottom line.

It is Miller, not the Board, who is 100% responsible for the on-field product and the current state of the on-field performance of the team. Miller is 100% culpable for hiring Walters and likewise Walters for hiring O'Shea and O'Shea in turn for hiring his assisstants. It is Miller, and to a lesser extend, Walters and O'Shea, who answer to the fans for the miserable state of the on-field performance of this football team, but they don't have to. As a fan, I hold all three responsible but it is Miller, ultimately, that I expect a winning football team from.

As a fan, I want Miller to tell me WTF is wrong with this team and how he is going to fix it. Sadly, Miller is free to ignore me and/or tell me to FO as Miller only reports to the Board, and the Board doesn't care what a fan thinks as long as the team is making money.

No one must answer to the fan and the fan has no say in the on or off-field performance of the club. That, to me, is the root of the problem.

Yeah the board hires the president who is is the person involved with the day to days operations. However, there could be a voting block on the board that forms the majority of the votes and that gets their way every time because the other s cannot produce the numbers to make a crack in that block.

IMHO you must have an odd number of board members and they should have a broad background including members that have experience with playing or running a CFL team, successful business management experience, and representatives of government (city and province). There should NEVER be a chance for a block of voters forming. 

I think there is a block of former CFLers and at least one business person who is basically a fan and these guys and gals basically direct how the board places their votes. It's the only way I can explain why this team has been most crappy for 26 years.

2 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Yeah the board hires the president who is is the person involved with the day to days operations. However, there could be a voting block on the board that forms the majority of the votes and that gets their way every time because the other s cannot produce the numbers to make a crack in that block.

IMHO you must have an odd number of board members and they should have a broad background including members that have experience with playing or running a CFL team, successful business management experience, and representatives of government (city and province). There should NEVER be a chance for a block of voters forming. 

I think there is a block of former CFLers and at least one business person who is basically a fan and these guys and gals basically direct how the board places their votes. It's the only way I can explain why this team has been most crappy for 26 years.

Wou;d this BpD spend a million $ to hire Marc Trestman? When have they stepped up up and paid up to get the best QB in the CFL ... when in recent times  have they done anything to get the job done, get that championship ring?

Hiring Lyle Bauer may have saved this franchise in the late 90's and he was good at the business of football, but not so great at on field football operations. With the current governace we are only ever going to make mediocre "safe" decisions. The Bombers need real leadership. Perhaps its time to look at private ownership. As it is we are heading towards average attendance of 19,000. And then we will be needing another Lyle Bauer type rescue and if we can't find such a savior we will end up wiith either a private owner, or worse, shutting down like Ottawa did for how many years.

There  is just too much competition for the entertainment $.

We are in a long term down trend. We need to actually acknowledge that fact. If we don't recognize the real problem, we will not ever be able to fix it. We are in an actual down trend, momentarily interrupted by a new stadium. At some point in the not too distant future, hope disappears and then we will be dealing with a disaster and possibly a receiver.

Nobody stays with a loser for ever.

We are not going to see a turn around by a tepid don't-panic maintain-the-status-quo attitude. Some random event will not save us, nor will it produce a savior. The world and the CFL realm is more competitive than ever. Proactive commitment is required by someone with the authority to actually change what is going on.

Can you say "The Halifax Blue Bombers, Grey Cup Champions"?

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Wou;d this BpD spend a million $ to hire Marc Trestman? When have they stepped up up and paid up to get the best QB in the CFL ... when in recent times  have they done anything to get the job done, get that championship ring?

Isn't Trestman the OC in Baltimore? Unless something changed that I'm not aware of.

1 minute ago, OldSchoolBlue said:

Since Dave Ritchie, the Bombers have had 6 head coaches. Not a one of them had even a single game of CFL head coaching experience. 

Of those 6, not a one of them has ever been hired as a CFL head coach again. What does that tell you?

That this organization cares more about making/saving money than winning championships.

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolBlue said:

Since Dave Ritchie, the Bombers have had 6 head coaches. Not a one of them had even a single game of CFL head coaching experience. 

Of those 6, not a one of them has ever been hired as a CFL head coach again. What does that tell you?

It tells me most of you should do what I did to keep your sanity lol. That's quite the stat I never thought of - but it answers a lot of questions right there. But I wonder when LaPo takes over for MOS if that stat will still count or not? 

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolBlue said:

Not that this really matters in the point you are trying to make here, but Jim Daley had 3 years of Head Coaching experience in Saskatchewan before he became our head coach.

He had an 18 - 36 record there.

The problem is that I don't see a Dave Ritchie equivalent out there.  Can't think of any coach out there right now with experience that I would want.

Rookie HCs are not the main problem...  its this idea that you can replace the entire top end with rookies that is killing the bombers.

Bombers were like this in the late 1990s too - then they brought in Dave Ritchie who was a stable, successful decision.  He then brought in Taman, a guy with 12 years player personnel experience...  that's how you find a QB.

Our success before that was mainly Cal Murphy and Paul Jones...

Bring in an experienced team with a decade or more of connections in US scouting.

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not that this really matters in the point you are trying to make here, but Jim Daley had 3 years of Head Coaching experience in Saskatchewan before he became our head coach.

The problem is that I don't see a Dave Ritchie equivalent out there.  Can't think of any coach out there right now with experience that I would want.

The Daley thing was a true Bomber specialty.   He got the interim gig, which set up a the good ole "exhaustive search", in the off season.  Never mind his horrible record with the Riders - he was in-house, cheap and real nice guy to boot.  Perfect fit.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I stand corrected. In my defense I tried hard to forget Jim Daley entirely!

I actually don't mind a rookie HC as long he has a successful track record as an OC or DC and mentored under a winner. Dave Dickenson is a prime example of the path one should take.

I am also not adverse to looking outside the CFL, that is how Trestman was found. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there aren't more guys like them out there.

Can Walters and bring in Higgins, he has the credentials for the GM job and let him decide the fate of the rest of the staff going forward. That really is the only prudent thing to do if we are 1 - 8 at the half way point.  

14 hours ago, pigseye said:

I actually don't mind a rookie HC as long he has a successful track record as an OC or DC and mentored under a winner. Dave Dickenson is a prime example of the path one should take.

I am also not adverse to looking outside the CFL, that is how Trestman was found. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there aren't more guys like them out there.

Can Walters and bring in Higgins, he has the credentials for the GM job and let him decide the fate of the rest of the staff going forward. That really is the only prudent thing to do if we are 1 - 8 at the half way point.  

Ugh not Higgins, I'd take Pervert Tillman before Higgins, Tillman is a piece of **** but at least he is actually good at his job.