Penton Lists our QBs...

Floyd

All our QBs who haven't won a grey cup... 

Matt Nichols, Justin Goltz, Max Hall, Buck Pierce, Alex Brink, Joey Elliott, Steven Jyles, Michael Bishop, Stefan LeFors, Ryan Dinwiddie, Kevin Glenn, Mike Quinn, Tee Martin, Khari Jones, Pat Barnes, Kerwin Bell, Troy Kopp, T.J. Rubley, Chris Vargas, Kent Austin, Reggie Slack, Kevin McDougal, Shawn Moore, Matt Dunigan and Keithen McCant.

Some very special names in there...  ah, Pat Barnes... we hardly knew ye.

Poor Timmy Chang gets no respect.  Slingin' Sammy Garza?

Keithen McCant was going to be the first bomber QB that we developed in house...  except that we had just done that with McManus and dumped him.

Thanks Penton.

While we are on the subject of quarterbacks, a sobering thing is to look at the quarterbacks across the league in comparison to Willy. Darned few here would not trade Willy for the starters on any other team, and only three other teams(Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton) have backups who are worse than Willy, and Collaros is a maybe. That means that in a nine team league, Willy is the 15th best QB.

Edited by tracker

Just now, tracker said:

While we are on the subject of quarterbacks, a sobering thing is to look at the quarterbacks across the league in comparison to Willy. Darned few here would not trade Willy for the starters on any other team, and only three other teams(Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton) have backups who are worse than Willy, and Collaros is a maybe. That means that in a nine team league, Willy is the 16th best QB.

I know things look bleak but please name me 15 better QB's then Drew Willy. He's absolutely on the lower spectrum of starting quarterbacks in the CFL but I don't think there's 15 better Qb's in the league.

Lulay-Jennings, Tate-Mitchell, Reilly-Franklin, Durant-Gale (probably), Burris- Harris, Ray, Glenn. Oops- that's 12 and that's bad math on my part, but it still puts Willy at #13.

Brain cramp: I forgot Collaros and that bumps Willy down to #14 -in my opinion. The backups I have listed have shown more promise than Willy- again, in my opinion.

Edited by tracker

1 minute ago, tracker said:

Lulay-Jennings, Tate-Mitchell, Reilly-Franklin, Durant-Gale (probably), Burris- Harris, Ray, Glenn. Oops- that's 12 and that's bad math on my part, but it still puts Willy at #13.

I don't think Gale, Tate, or Franklin are better then Drew Willy. Also Lulay, Jennings, Glenn and Willy are probably sandwiched into the same group depending on who you like better. He's certainly a step below the Mitchell,Harris, Durant, Reilly, and Burris's of the league.

18 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

No Brian Stallworth, Brian Ah Yat, Kliff Kingsbury, Jose Davis, Casey Bramlet, Ricky Santos, Bryan Randell

I remember thinking that we were 'scraping bottom' by signing John Hufnagel as our QB in the mid-80s.

So young, so much to learn... so many losing seasons waiting...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

One of these weeks, Willy is going to light some team up big time.....we've seen him do it before, and we'll see him do it again before long.

Bomber history (and those of other teams) are rife with one-hit wonders who looked wonderful for one or two games and then faded out. Willy is very close to falling into that category.

35 minutes ago, tracker said:

While we are on the subject of quarterbacks, a sobering thing is to look at the quarterbacks across the league in comparison to Willy. Darned few here would not trade Willy for the starters on any other team, and only three other teams(Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton) have backups who are worse than Willy, and Collaros is a maybe. That means that in a nine team league, Willy is the 15th best QB.

T4zN3HF.png

47 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

On a side note I really enjoyed watching Michael Bishop play. The guy could throw the ball down the field effortless. Unfortunately he had no football IQ or pocket awareness but he sure did throw a pretty ball. To this day I don't think i've seen a quarterback throw wide field as effective as Bishop. 

I remember one practice at Canadinns when the back-up QBs started fooling around and tried to throw a ball into the upper deck. They couldn't but Bishop picked up a ball and easily made the throw.

And Austin...  apparently, its just a list of QBs who have eventually been booed by Winnipeg fans?

Will never forget Winnipeg Stadium cheering when Kent Austin was knocked out of a home game with a concussion...  tough times.

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Go back to 2008 people are saying the same things about Glenn they are saying about Willy and now people here would take Glenn in a heart beat. When will people stop and realize that it's never ALL on the qb when an offense performs this poorly. 

Glenn is still soft and hasn't/will never win a GC. I mean he might be an upgrade on Willy, and would make us a perennial 9-9 team, but I can't say I really want him back. 

12 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Glenn is still soft and hasn't/will never win a GC. I mean he might be an upgrade on Willy, and would make us a perennial 9-9 team, but I can't say I really want him back. 

9-9 sounds dreamy right now. :) I think our offence improves as they work things out. Can't get much worse.