In Case You Missed It

Mr Dee

I didn't know this:

Quietly, the CFL took steps to improve the communication between play-caller and quarterback this off-season, kiboshing the radio cut-off that used to kick in with 10 seconds remaining on the play clock.

This season, quarterbacks can walk to the line of scrimmage with a voice in their ear to help identify coverages, blitzers, open receivers, and whatever else you can think of all the way through the snap of the football.

The headset is live even mid-play, which allows an offensive co-ordinator, if he so chooses, to yell in a quarterback’s ear where to go with the football while the action is going on.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/change-to-coach-to-qb-radio-communication-could-be-helping-cfl-offences-this-season

Can't remember what game it was but there was one play where Willy needed to get the ball off quickly and I read or heard someplace that the Coaches were yelling in his ear to get a move on (but it didn't work). I hope they're not distracting him when he's trying to run a play.

Edited by Fred C Dobbs
WTF doesn't this software recognize "[/quote]"

49 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd happily take Jones and his ego over Walters and O'Shea. I'd also take Carter with his ego over any receiver. I could go on. My point is the best generally have big egos. 

Except that Kyle Walter as a GM still has a better winning percentage than Chris Jones as a GM..... Just saying. 

Jones is a great coach, but I haven't been the least bit impressed with him as a GM thus far. Not everyone is made for the dual roles, and just because he's a good coach doesn't mean he'll be a good GM.

With that being said, I'd much rather take my chances with him than the proven losers we're stuck with.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Except that Kyle Walter as a GM still has a better winning percentage than Chris Jones as a GM..... Just saying. 

Sure, but Jones had a winning percentage of 72.2% as a HC, coming into the season. He's been successful ever since he got to the CFL in 2002. He's won GC rings with 4 different teams including one last year as HC. Maybe we should revisit this at the end of the season to see if it's still true.

I might give Jones like a full season before totally writing him off as a GM.

To his credit, Brett Smith wasn't getting it done so he cut him, Moniz fumbled so he cut him... brought in new blood and a legit backup for Durant...

Walters stuck with Brohm for almost two seasons... just sayin'

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I might give Jones like a full season before totally writing him off as a GM.

To his credit, Brett Smith wasn't getting it done so he cut him, Moniz fumbled so he cut him... brought in new blood and a legit backup for Durant...

Walters stuck with Brohm for almost two seasons... just sayin'

What makes Gale a legit backup?

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure, but Jones had a winning percentage of 72.2% as a HC, coming into the season. He's been successful ever since he got to the CFL in 2002. He's won GC rings with 4 different teams including one last year as HC. Maybe we should revisit this at the end of the season to see if it's still true.

Hey all I'm saying is coach and GM are different things. Mike Kelly had a decent record as a coach as well but as a GM he ran himself out of the league. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Hey all I'm saying is coach and GM are different things. Mike Kelly had a decent record as a coach as well but as a GM he ran himself out of the league. 

We agree that GM and coach are two very different things. You lose me when you bring up Mike Kelly's record as a coach.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think it's more about the inability to attract quality assistants to Winnipeg than anything else. I mean we know that O'Shea wanted Stubler for DC but he picked Calgary over the coaching grave yard that is Winnipeg so O'Shea had to go dumpster diving to get Etchevary. I suspect that it was a similar thing with the OC when they stuck with Bellefool. Or Miller who brought the guy in originally just wanted to keep him. The book on Winnipeg is still pretty much come here get fired shortly and a lot of people just won't put up with that. Need to win before you become a real destination. 

And who did the firing? MOS has replaced his STC, OC & DC. All in 3 years. You keep harping on keeping coaches around for stability & that no one wants to come here because they'll get fired. I don't think that is the case. Coaches know winning is the only thing & 3 years is a fair amount of time to do it if MOS doesn't get it done.

Look around you. Every team hires & fires coaches. Remember what happened last off season? This stability thing you talk about is bull. If a coach doesn't perform then he is let go. That's the nature of the business & it's always been like that which it as it should be. Winnipeg isn't any different. A coach doesn't win then he's fired. I don't want to keep MOS around if he doesn't win. No one does. He's been here three seasons which is more than enough to at least show progress.

So, all the excuses are over. The learning curve from hiring a rookie HC with virtually no coaching experience is over. He has to win & win now or it'll be time for him to go. Not keep him around because it'll look better or more stable.

Edited by iso_55

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Kyle Walters is 13 and 27 as GM, that is a winning percentage of 32.5%, Mack was 21 and 39, that is a winning percentage of 35%. Why do people defend Walters? Let's look at his draft record, who is the standout stud? Chung is a nice prospect, good player, not an all star and he's the best one.

Okay then.  You have the benefit of a full year of hindsight.  Who are you taking instead?

You miss my point. Walters supporters cite his work on the NI side. Chung is his best pick and he's a solid OL who may become an all star. Really his only hit. Gossen is starting but not playing well. Waggoner is a STer. Richards has done nothing. Morgan is a ster. Briggs Ster. His best NI's have come via free agency, Westerman, Harris and Shologan.

Oh and Lemar Durant over Richards, Waud over Morgan and not a first for Waggoner so we keep the #2 and land Gagnon or another top OL prospect from this year.

The Waggoner move was a strange one - fully support offering a 2nd rounder for him, like Edmonton did for Laurent... if you don't get him, you still have your 2nd rounder... no biggie.

Was it worth it to trade two picks to move up two spots to get Briggs?

A 2nd round pick for Neufeld?

Walters throws picks around as much as Taman did... maybe more.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Kyle Walters is 13 and 27 as GM, that is a winning percentage of 32.5%, Mack was 21 and 39, that is a winning percentage of 35%. Why do people defend Walters? Let's look at his draft record, who is the standout stud? Chung is a nice prospect, good player, not an all star and he's the best one.

Agreed not much reason to defend Walters however I would say lets give Walters a second Kick at HC like Mack had before we decide.

You miss my point. Walters supporters cite his work on the NI side. Chung is his best pick and he's a solid OL who may become an all star. Really his only hit. Gossen is starting but not playing well. Waggoner is a STer. Richards has done nothing. Morgan is a ster. Briggs Ster. His best NI's have come via free agency, Westerman, Harris and Shologan.

Oh and Lemar Durant over Richards, Waud over Morgan and not a first for Waggoner so we keep the #2 and land Gagnon or another top OL prospect from this year.

At this point I would take Durant over Richards and Waud over Morgan ( who would have dropped to round 5+ )  I didn't like Walters 2015 draft at all I liked this years much more.

Edited by BBFan

Chungh had a horrible game vs EDM that was as bad an individual performance as I have seen by an OL in the CFL he is a Long way to being an All-Star and if the Bombers had more depth I would be replacing him after that performance however the Bombers don't have any options at this time until Keeping is back from the 6 Game. I suggest you watch the game again if you think Chungh has the potential to be an All Star...

1 minute ago, BBFan said:

Chungh had a horrible game vs EDM that was as bad an individual performance as I have seen by an OL in the CFL he is a Long way to being an All-Star and if the Bombers had more depth I would be replacing him after that performance however the Bombers don't have any options at this time until Keeping is back from the 6 Game. I suggest you watch the game again if you think Chungh has the potential to be an All Star...

He has had a rough go of it this season entirely. Interior of the OL is getting it handed to them regularly.