GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Anyone who thinks Burris wouldn't play here has no idea just how close he was to signing here in the first place.

Burris was about 99.9% of the way to signing here way back when we got Drew Willy instead. To the point that they had the jersey done up for the press conference to announce his signing here. Hank loves Winnipeg.

No doubt it would be of been the ultimate knife to the Rider fans if he would of come here and been good. 

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

FWIW, on 1290 it was stated that O'Shea decides who starts at QB. Another nail hammered into the coffin.

Which would make sense because Lapo said in an interview it wasn't up to him who started.  He just calls the plays.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

It's not just that. He suffered a very nasty knee injury last season. I was wondering how it would affect his ability to throw the ball and I believe we are seeing the effects now. He is not the same athlete he was as before the knee injury. He is a damaged QB that can no longer throw an accurate football. I think it's as simple as that. We need to get us another QB. This one's broken. What's really sad is that MOS probably feels responsible for Willy being broken and refuses to accept it. That's why he keeps rolling him out there. He can't accept the fact that Willy's career as an elite starting QB in this league ended during his watch (however brief that turns out to be).

I agree on the knee injury & the affects it has had. I'm talking that he may be afraid to get injured again & he's playing scared. I believe that may be is happening. Physically his knee & leg may be healed but mentally he may not be over it.

Just now, iso_55 said:

I agree on the knee injury & the affects it has had. I'm talking that he may be afraid to get injured again & he's playing scared. I believe that may be is happening. Physically his knee & leg may be healed but mentally he may not be over it.

I'm sure that is absolutely true. I also believe that MOS is in denial about it. How else to explain his refusal to play Nichols, or anyone else, at all and to keep rolling Willy out there? The look on O'Shea's face hinted to me that maybe, just maybe, he'd welcome being relieved as HC because he knows he has absolutely no clue about how to fix what is wrong.

Nicholls may not be the answer long term but starting him next game wouldn't be the end of the world for Willy. If I was O'Shea, I'd do it. What's he got to lose? MOS is clueless. Guys like Buono, Hufnagel & Jones would bench him. And ready to go forward with a different starter from there. MOS is trying to shield & protect his guy from everyone criticizing him which he should but he has to have the rest of the team & the best interests of the organization at hand then do what's best. Keeping on playing Willy just seems counter productive to everything & the wrong thing to do.

Edited by iso_55

13 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Did Willy's knee injury effect his play this season?  That could very well be, but it is worth noting that he played pretty awful in a few of his games last season prior to the injury.

Yes but I don't remember him playing this poorly. His best days here were before he had the living crap beaten out of him his first year. He took an absolute pounding after going 5-1 and then other teams started sending the house. Just hasn't been the same since. 

Does it really matter why Willy's performance has faded? Presumably, if it was fixable, it would have been fixed by now, so lets give him one more outing as a starter and if he does not improve a lot, lets see if the bull-pen is any good. Maybe one of them can be better than a .35 pivot.

19 hours ago, tracker said:

Does it really matter why Willy's performance has faded? Presumably, if it was fixable, it would have been fixed by now, so lets give him one more outing as a starter and if he does not improve a lot, lets see if the bull-pen is any good. Maybe one of them can be better than a .35 pivot.

Good analogy. I wonder if MOS watches MLB. If the starting pitcher struggles, no matter who he is, he gets yanked. As to whether it matters why Willy's performance has faded, I think it is important to make a determination that if the Oline needs to be improved, and I've been saying it does for 3 years now, then for heaven's sake Walters, do what you have to do to get an Oline in here that can protect your most important position player, the QB! 

On 7/15/2016 at 1:06 PM, iso_55 said:

Kpt Crunch says every receiver makes a play for the ball & make big catches for their qb. Agreed but it goes both ways. Qbs have to be inspirational leaders as well. As in putting the team on their shoulders for a win. Does anyone think Willy inspires any kind of confidence? In the huddle do you think players think he'll put out the win? Nope. So nothing happens. I really think a couple of more losses & he'll be done as a starter with his teammates.

You could be right - but at 400 grand plus a year I don't think that's going to happen. The management has 'hitched' their wagon to the Willy train, so I can't see them just parking him on the bench. I can see Willy getting hurt again though. Not that I want to see that - don't like it when any player gets hurt. 

These contracts aren't guaranteed until after a certain date for the season. If Willy shows he can't get the job done they'll bench him & probably try to trade him.  I think that even if he's benched that he'll be here until season's end & a decision will be made on his future in the off season. By either the current regime or a new one.

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

These contracts aren't guaranteed until after a certain date for the season. If Willy shows he can't get the job done they'll bench him & probably try to trade him.  I think that even if he's benched that he'll be here until season's end & a decision will be made on his future in the off season. By either the current regime or a new one.

Was just looking into the previously durable Willy's injury history. Before he came here, he hadn't missed a game due to injury since his sophomore season, when a hand injury sidelined him for 2 games. If O'Shea keeps rolling him out there I don't see him surviving the season injury-free which will ruin the likeihood of trading him.  He'd then be an injured QB playing like crap making $400,000 a year. 

I really do think his knee injury from last year has messed up his ability to throw accurately and to run and avoid the blitz. He looks horribly slow this year doesn't plant his feet properly. Where is this guy ...?

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Was just looking into the previously durable Willy's injury history. Before he came here, he hadn't missed a game due to injury since his sophomore season, when a hand injury sidelined him for 2 games. If O'Shea keeps rolling him out there I don't see him surviving the season injury-free which will ruin the likeihood of trading him.  He'd then be an injured QB playing like crap making $400,000 a year. 

I really do think his knee injury from last year has messed up his ability to throw accurately and to run and avoid the blitz. He looks horribly slow this year doesn't plant his feet properly. Where is this guy ...?

Have to say that I find this video to be unintentionally hilarious. A highlight package of one of the most unsuccessful starters in the league since 2014

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

Have to say that I find this video to be unintentionally hilarious. A highlight package of one of the most unsuccessful starters in the league since 2014

Look at the throws he was making back then.  Beautiful arcing rainbows dropping beyond the DB's reach into the receivers arms. Compare that to the throws he is making now. Most of his throws now lack touch and he isn't putting enough air under the ball. He is not the same athlete he was then.

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Look at the throws he was making back then.  Beautiful arcing rainbows dropping beyond the DB's reach into the receivers arms. Compare that to the throws he is making now. Most of his throws now lack touch and he isn't putting enough air under the ball. He is not the same athlete he was then.

I get the idea behind posting it, but, the music and the nature of the video itself still fits the bill. A qb that can't win games made to look like Joe Montana.

1 hour ago, White Out said:

I get the idea behind posting it, but, the music and the nature of the video itself still fits the bill. A qb that can't win games made to look like Joe Montana.

Exactly. Since being anointed starting QB for Winnipeg in 2014 Willy has played 28 games. And he has thrown 27 TDs. That is almost one whole touchdown per game, just about. But not quite.

Edited by Doublezero

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:22 PM, Logan007 said:

Which would make sense because Lapo said in an interview it wasn't up to him who started.  He just calls the plays.

Lapo starting to distance himself from MOS, good move because they sharping the axe as we speak.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I still say Aaron Kelly was better than most people here gave him credit for.

He's better than Darvin Adams, but that's not saying a hell of a lot. Either one isn't a good enough option for how much the Bombers want to use them. 

Aaron Kelly had a fixed limit of catches (three, I think) that he could make in a season. Some were spectacular enough to make fans and coached drool but they were too few and too far between.

Edited by tracker

I really don't mind Darwin Adams on this team. He and Willy can connect...sometimes. The problems lie elsewhere. And this is where I agree with your statement of having two like receivers, Smith and Weston. Either one would have filled a need, but both?  The obvious problem is no home run receiver to complement the receivers we do have. And maybe the QB to reach him. Jace Davis is also a keeper. Mayo looks fine, Sheppard too. Let's take a look at those guys deep. Is that not possible? Otherwise, get somebody who can stretch the bloody opponents' D. 

Why does it seem we're the only team who doesn't haven't have that speedster?