Around The NHL 2016/2017

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

14 points this season in 43 games.....

Paul Postma has 10 points in about the same amount of games..... 

How did Ladd drop off so quickly?

East is all about speed and West is/was about grit...  Ladd's probably just too slow

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone else think the skills competition is stupid?

That was just horrible. I haven't watched it in years but my son was very interested. I was curious to watch Laine. 

Only the NHL can take the most skilled players in the league and produce such an unwatchable product. The pace was so slow, the events were awkward and the commentary uninspired. Luckily, I didn't have to sit through the whole thing. 

What was with that shooting competition from the blue lines? That doesn't demonstrate skill.

You don't provide any opportunity for players to warm up or get the feel of the puck? They ended up with Suter not able to hit the net from the blue line and everyone else looked too "cold". 

I thought PKs interview was good. I'm not a big PK fan but he gets it. 

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone else think the skills competition is stupid?

I'm not a big fan of it, but its just a way to add a day to the AS weekend.  I watched it was my grandma cuz she's a hardcore hockey nut and she enjoyed it for the most part.

the usual skill competitions of accuracy, speed and hardest shot are still alright to watch.  

That blue line shooting was pretty boring aside from the 3 or 4 shots that went in,  including arizona's goalie making that 5 hole shot you usually see fans try from center for like a million bucks, the fact he made it from the other side of the rink in such a small hole is incredible.  

That relay event was alright too, but they could have added some more to it,  seemed like just under 2 mins per team is too fast

The shootout event was the worst, though that shot by brent burns was pretty sweet, but went off the crossbar

IMO I dont like that they split the event into 4 teams (Metro, Atlantic, Pacific and Central) though i suppose todays 3 on 3 might serve it better,  but the skills should still be eastern and western conferences 

The Commentary made it drag even more than it did. It's interesting to me how they pretty much ignored talking about Laine.  

I also think the shootout was ruined. I'd rather see all of them not just 2 divisions... the only guy who seemingly tried to entertain was Brent Burns.  Only guy who tried something different in the shootout.  

It almost seems like you aren't allowed to have personality in the Nhl.  I get them hyping mcdavid and Crosby but man they lack personality.  The Auston Matthews love affair from cbc/sportsnet was at times nauseating but not surprising. Again tho very little personality.  I also think it's obvious that the guys don't try at all. 

I'll just add... I hate Ryan Kesler... he's such a ****** but the crowd booing and him blowing kisses... man the guy Is such a good heel.  

Edited by Goalie

Yeah I found it boring and their effort to create events seems so convoluted. The best events are still the traditional ones. And yes the fact the players don't care at all brings it way down. 

Now watching the All Star game and after one period the NHL has made three on three look as boring as possible. 

11 hours ago, Atomic said:

The Skills competition is for the kids.  They love it.  Yeah it's kinda lame but not everything has to be tailored to the middle-aged hardcore sports fan.

It's not for kids. If it was then it would be better. The fact it's so terrible only kids could enjoy it is indicative of the issue. It's like loving the NBA and then watching the Globetrotters. 

Its for sponsors. That's why the players don't care. And don't try. And it's why it sucks.