Around The NHL 2016/2017

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's not for kids. If it was then it would be better. The fact it's so terrible only kids could enjoy it is indicative of the issue. It's like loving the NBA and then watching the Globetrotters. 

Its for sponsors. That's why the players don't care. And don't try. And it's why it sucks. 

"It's not for kids."  Based on what?  Kids love it.  Was coaching at my nephew's hockey practice yesterday and they were all talking about it.  The Jets in-house skills comp is full of kids if you ever go watch that.  It's literally all about the kids.  Anyone can see that.

35 minutes ago, Atomic said:

"It's not for kids."  Based on what?  Kids love it.  Was coaching at my nephew's hockey practice yesterday and they were all talking about it.  The Jets in-house skills comp is full of kids if you ever go watch that.  It's literally all about the kids.  Anyone can see that.

Ill clarify.  Its not designed to be "for kids".  The by-product of it sucking is that kids love it.  But the NHL would sacrifice that to have every 18+ who spends money on sports to love it. 

No its not literally all about the kids.  Its about the sponsors and business partners.  The game is something the network pays for so they air it.  The issue with top players bowing out is that they spend the weekend going to lunches and dinners and meetings and rubbing elbows with executives.  Im not sure how many kids are at those functions. 

Kids love it, yes.  But thats not the purpose of the All Star Game.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ill clarify.  Its not designed to be "for kids".  The by-product of it sucking is that kids love it.  But the NHL would sacrifice that to have every 18+ who spends money on sports to love it. 

No its not literally all about the kids.  Its about the sponsors and business partners.  The game is something the network pays for so they air it.  The issue with top players bowing out is that they spend the weekend going to lunches and dinners and meetings and rubbing elbows with executives.  Im not sure how many kids are at those functions. 

Kids love it, yes.  But thats not the purpose of the All Star Game.

Exactly.

The reason players don't like going is not for the skills competition or the game, it's all of the corporate stuff they have to do. It's not stop, apparently.

I can see the value in it, from an NHL point-of-view, but for the players, it would be a drag. Of course, anything that helps the NHL, helps the players.

My son enjoyed the AHL All-Star skills competition more than the NHL one. He said it was much more fun.

Of course, he also enjoyed the Pro-Bowl yesterday, so he has no taste.

(He was sick all weekend, so he got to watch lots of - too much - TV)

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm surprised they didn't add a veteran goalie before firing Hitchcock. But can't say I'm surprised he was turfed. I wondered how long he would last this year if the Blues were not at or near the top of the central.

I'm not sure what Yeo will be able to do.

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Kind of a rough deal for Hitchcock.  He's basically forced to accept a retirement at season's end and has the next coach working behind him.  Goaltending sucks and they cant even let the guy wait til seasons end when he's already being forced out?  Sports is a tough business.

He was retiring anyhow. That's why they brought Yeo in to be associate coach.

EDIT: Should say, he was leaving the Blues at the end of the season anyhow. I'm not sure what he intends to do after this year. He always hinted he was retiring, though.

Edited by JCon

They  are built to win now not tomorrow. Their team is aging fast and transitioning to a faster game is taking them quite a while.

it might be rough for him but people were calling for the coaches had to hear and still are and our main reason for losing has been our goaltending.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They always have been. When you lose to a struggling "small-market" team and you're struggling chances are you're gonna get axed. Granted the Jets are not AZ or COL but....

I can't recall any other coaches ever getting fired the day after they lost to the Jets (2.0).  Seems like a first to me.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They always have been. When you lose to a struggling "small-market" team and you're struggling chances are you're gonna get axed. Granted the Jets are not AZ or COL but....

I'm pretty sure no GM makes a decision based on the size of the market the team was from. Maybe losing to an "inferior" team helps push them to make a decision but never the size of the market.