Wylie post practice

Jpan85

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Just explain to me how these guys are different from the depth that was in camp last year...

Seems pretty much the same...  three import OL and a couple draft prospects

That being said, excited to see Couture - but I don't see any proven depth on this line at all

You're not that reporter, are you?

The reporter asked & he got taken to the woodshed although there's no way he could have known what the right answer to Wylie's question was stats wise. We've seen qb sacks caused by bad blocking on the OL, running backs missing their blocks & Willy holding onto the ball too long but we don't know the real numbers. The reporter should have been smart enough to realize it's not just on the OL. Of course, Wylie will stick up for his guys on the OL as those are his men. Interesting interview.

Edited by iso_55

Interesting, in Chris Jones latest interview he stated that the Riders are going to have 2 backs on the field for 30% of their plays.  Obviously the Bombers have had a deficiency in this dept. the last couple of years handling their blocking assignments.  Which back besides Harris will get the majority of snaps to help with the blocking assignments, Cronk, Normand or Lochard?

One of the most entertaining interviews that I've seen in a while.   

My experience in years (decades) of coaching is that the position group with the most protective coaches is the O-line.   They, as a group, always stand up for their guys.  They are virtually always the tightest, where you don't  break ranks, and you don't criticize a teammate in your group.  Coaches included.  

7 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

One of the most entertaining interviews that I've seen in a while.   

My experience in years (decades) of coaching is that the position group with the most protective coaches is the O-line.   They, as a group, always stand up for their guys.  They are virtually always the tightest, where you don't  break ranks, and you don't criticize a teammate in your group.  Coaches included.  

No divas allowed.

29 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

To me. the question was framed in such a way that he was fishing for the response the Wiley gave him.  Makes it more compelling and more compelling is good.  Much better than asking in a dry, boring way that produces facts only.  No fun and no drama in that.

That's all the Winnipeg media knows how to do is ask leading questions. 

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

I think ol' Bob may have had enough of all those sacks being placed on his doorstep.

Wonder if that reporter pissed himself.

I'm not wondering!! And the coach is right...all the fan sees is the quarterback getting pounded into the turf. What we don't know is.....did the running back not complete his assigned block?? Did the quarter-back take too long in the pocket ( hello Drew Willy ), did the receiver not run the right route and delay the whole play?? There's more to it, it's a team game and team responsibilities....

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Somebody should ask why we had so many issues in short yardage? I'd also like to know why so many sacks? (Be it OL mistakes, QB holding on to long, RB not blocking etc).

to me the issue with short yardage is timing.  The QB diving should be synced with the O-Line push. You miss the push you get pushed back by the DL.  It's pretty simple physics.  The first sneak the Bombers did against Ottawa you just knew they weren't going to make it, it was almost 2 whole yards.  You can't get that on a sneak, you have to hand off or fake the hand off and try a pass.  The second failed attempt I thought was just the result of a terrible spot by the refs. 

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

to me the issue with short yardage is timing.  The QB diving should be synced with the O-Line push. You miss the push you get pushed back by the DL.  It's pretty simple physics.  The first sneak the Bombers did against Ottawa you just knew they weren't going to make it, it was almost 2 whole yards.  You can't get that on a sneak, you have to hand off or fake the hand off and try a pass.  The second failed attempt I thought was just the result of a terrible spot by the refs. 

I Heard an explanation somewhere that said that with the short time period between games there were certain plays the team had absolutely no time to practice.  Short yardage being one of them.

I am so sick of reporters not knowing anything about football.  Sure it's understandable for a new guy but when you've been covering football for 5-10 years, do some god damn research and educate yourself.  In a city like Winnipeg where the OL has been garbage for so long, there is no excuse for these guys to not be experts on OL play by now, to the point where they can at least identify whether the coach is feeding them bullshit or not.  What a joke these lazy shits are.  And they cry about everyone in the industry losing their jobs.... well yeah when you coast along for that much time, why would anyone pay you for it?

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Typical smarmy non-response.

Last year, we brought in Bryant, Picard and Dile...  This year, its a new crop of imports and Keeping.

One of our random imports from last camp is now a starter instead of Greaves...  guess we'll see, but no import OL has really stepped up and grabbed a job yet...

Either way, its nice to hear from the assistants.

There just aren't many all-star offensive linemen to be had out there. I'm sure Walters has tried to find them but for whatever reason, be it poor scouting or just bad luck, in three years now we just haven't hit the jackpot. If Willy takes another terrible pounding and gets hurts again this year it will probably cost Walters his job. Undeservedly so perhaps, because he has done good work in other areas, but he's been snake-bit when it comes to finding a Walby or two. He couldn't land Bourke as a FA which was unfortunate and the guy he did get, Keeping, gets injured first pre-season game. Snake-bit I tell ya.

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I Heard an explanation somewhere that said that with the short time period between games there were certain plays the team had absolutely no time to practice.  Short yardage being one of them.

that was Duane Ford.  And he probably is right. 

27 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Somebody should ask why we had so many issues in short yardage?

Against Ottawa?  Pretty sure on both plays Couture got stood upright by the man across from him.  It was that simple.

And that's why freaking out over pre-season games is pointless.  A NI rookie who won't be starting used flawed technique.

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

Against Ottawa?  Pretty sure on both plays Couture got stood upright by the man across from him.  It was that simple.

And that's why freaking out over pre-season games is pointless.  A NI rookie who won't be starting used flawed technique.

Who's our backup centre? 

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

I'm not wondering!! And the coach is right...all the fan sees is the quarterback getting pounded into the turf. What we don't know is.....did the running back not complete his assigned block?? Did the quarter-back take too long in the pocket ( hello Drew Willy ), did the receiver not run the right route and delay the whole play?? There's more to it, it's a team game and team responsibilities....

If you can see a receiver isn't getting any separation, throwing a 50-50 ball isn't a wise decision.

When the entire offence works better, defences can't pin their ears back.  Good play-calling keeps defences off balance.

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

See I get both answers. Still feel its a good question.

Nothing wrong with the question at all.  You're still not going to get the answer you want.  He's not going to say "Couture didn't stay low and lost the one-on-one battle with the man across from him both times".  At most he might say there were some technique issues, and he's not going to say who.  Nor should he.  Throwing your rookie Olineman to the wolves two weeks into his CFL career would make him a dumb coach.