First Ring of Honour member announced

It's a neat thing they're doing, for sure. They're announcing one at every home game this year, then there'll be one per year, each year after. Looking forward to seeing (debating) the selections going forward!

Edited by Noeller

So, Ed Tait talks to MOS about playing against Walby:

"I was standing around a pile and I just get blasted from behind...I get splashed by Bluto. He then helps me up and says, 'Sorry, a guy pushed me.' I watched film..He just ran up, knocked me down and jumped on me. But... I love the guy. He's fun to be around."

8 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I'm sure it'll say Chris Walby #63. You can't retire every number or they'd run out of them.

LOL! There's been a handful in the last 25 years worth considering. The Canadiens have retired 14. The Yankees 21. The WBB are not close to that.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

LOL! There's been a handful in the last 25 years worth considering. The Canadiens have retired 14. The Yankees 21. The WBB are not close to that.

There are 19 players and a coach listed in the voting for this season's inductees. All of them are worthy of the honour. And you can bet there are those who will argue they missed some really good players from the list.

You can't compare hockey and baseball to football due to roster size and number restrictions.

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Football has specific position numbers so if you retire a lot of numbers what then? In hockey you can have players wear any number. You can't have OL constantly reporting in because too many numbers have been retired. When's the last time you saw a running back or qb with the number #98?? Pictures from 1954??

I've never been in favour of retiring numbers for the same reasons listed above... I think there could be a few exceptions but they would have to be the best of the best historically... I think you could make a case for permanent retirement of #11, #63 & #85 (not that they use these numbers anyways!)... 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I've never been in favour of retiring numbers for the same reasons listed above... I think there could be a few exceptions but they would have to be the best of the best historically... I think you could make a case for permanent retirement of #11, #63 & #85 (not that they use these numbers anyways!)... 

So why not officially retire them?

10 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Football has specific position numbers so if you retire a lot of numbers what then?

Weak argument. Who cares what position numbers are? I think the average person does not even know about them.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

that's essentially what I was saying... while I'm normally not in favour of it I would be ok with a few exceptions... as listed above...

14 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Weak argument. Who cares what position numbers are? I think the average person does not even know about them.

It's the rules, Dude. That's the way it is. Your argument makes no sense because the rules won't allow it. OL can't wear numbers in the singe digits, tens, twenty or 30's. Running backs & qbs can't wear numbers in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80 or 90's. That's a penalty on every play unless the player(s) reports in on every play if their numbers are inelligible,.

11 hours ago, bearpants said:

that's essentially what I was saying... while I'm normally not in favour of it I would be ok with a few exceptions... as listed above...

Yeah, a handful of players over the years deserve that for sure. The trouble is who?