First Ring of Honour member announced

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

In nearly 90 years there are more than 3. I could name names but I always do that. Let somebody else do it going back to 1930.

You don't have to name any others. All people have to do is look at the list of the nominees for the Ring because everyone of those players deserve it.

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

The link was posted on page 1 of this thread.

Never saw it for some reason. I looked at the list & every guy is deserving but the Bombers from the 30's & 40's are not on the list which is unfortunate. They deserve to be recognized as any other player from another era.

Edited by iso_55

On 05/06/2016 at 2:33 AM, iso_55 said:

Yeah, a handful of players over the years deserve that for sure. The trouble is who?

Yeah that's exactly the problem... where do you draw the line... I'm sure this debate has been going on in Bomber offices for a while now... and the main reason why I don't see it ever happening...

If you listen to the BB Talk Podcast below the brothers Hodge discuss five Bomber jersey numbers that are currently out of circulation but not officially retired.  Bob Cameron’s #6; Kenny Ploen #11; Chris Walby’ #63; Milt Stegall #85; Jeff Nicklin #28; and  Tommy Lumsden #75.  Nicklin was killed in World War II, while Lumsden passed away in 1955 during a routine surgical procedure at the age of twenty-five.

http://3downnation.com/2016/06/06/blue-bomber-talk-podcast-episode-21-ft-darrin-bauming/

As much as I like Bob Cameron I disagree that his jersey should be retired. Yes, he played a long, time but he may only punt 2 or 3 times a game.  I don't think a punter does enough to merit a jersey retirement. The discussion should have mentioned 10 halfback Fritz Hanson one of the first imports to be signed by a Canadian professional football team. He led the Bombers to the West's first GC victory in 1935 & again in 1939 & 41. He should be on the list. Nicklin would be a great addition having sacrificed his life serving Canada.

On 6/7/2016 at 6:59 PM, iso_55 said:

As much as I like Bob Cameron I disagree that his jersey should be retired. Yes, he played a long, time but he may only punt 2 or 3 times a game.  I don't think a punter does enough to merit a jersey retirement. The discussion should have mentioned 10 halfback Fritz Hanson one of the first imports to be signed by a Canadian professional football team. He led the Bombers to the West's first GC victory in 1935 & again in 1939 & 41. He should be on the list. Nicklin would be a great addition having sacrificed his life serving Canada.

I did not know this about Hanson.  Not to disparage his contributions but you can imagine the advantage an import RB would have playing in a league full of non-import defenders, now and probably more-so way-back when.  It would have been the equivalent of a Canuck playing hockey in a league full of Americans.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I did not know this about Hanson.  Not to disparage his contributions but you can imagine the advantage an import RB would have playing in a league full of non-import defenders, now and probably more-so way-back when.  It would have been the equivalent of a Canuck playing hockey in a league full of Americans.

I think this is comparing apples to oranges (today to 80 years ago)

Hanson played in the 1930s and 1940s where the gap between the top end talent of the CFL and NFL wasn't anything near what it is today.  You can't extrapolate the difference in talent that exists today to back then.  This is even back before when the AFL and NFL merged.

In the 50s and 60s the two leagues even used to play exhibition games against each other.   I don't believe a Canadian team ever won, but sports in general was a completely different era.

On 6/7/2016 at 8:59 PM, iso_55 said:

I tend to agree with this one.  Or at least, there should be something in the stadium dedicated to him and his story.

On 07/06/2016 at 8:05 PM, Noeller said:

Cameron is a CFL HOFer (the  only punter in there?), a Grey Cup MOC, and universally known as the greatest wind punter of all time. 

He's worthy. 

Not to take away from the greatness of Cameron, but isn't his HOF from his time playing qb in college? 

http://cfhof.ca/hof-player-details/?id=25

Bob Cameron was born July 18, 1954 in Hamilton, Ontario. Before joining the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Cameron had an outstanding varsity career as quarterback with the University of Acadia Axemen. While at Acadia he lead the team to two Vanier Cup appearances and in 1977 won the Hec Crighton Award for most valuable player in Canadian College Football. He is the first Hec Crighton winner to be inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

Cameron was signed by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1980 and played his entire 23 season career with the team. Rarely missing a game, he became a symbol for consistency and reliability. At the time of his retirement, Cameron held the record for most consecutive games played with 353.

Through out his career Cameron’s punting performance earned him numerous accolades including being named a Western All-Star six times and a Canadian All-Star four times. He helped the Blue Bombers to six Grey Cup appearances and three Grey Cup victories. He was named the Most Outstanding Canadian in the Grey Cup for his performance during the 1988 game. In 1988 and 1998, he was Winnipeg’s nominee for Most Outstanding Canadian.

Bob Cameron kicked over 3,000 punts during his CFL career. At the time of his retirement, he held the majority of punting records in the CFL including most punting yards all-time regular season with 134,301 yards. During the 1988 season he set the records for most punting yards regular season with 8,214 yards and most punts regular season with 188 punts. He was inducted to the Winnipeg Football Club Hall of Fame in 2003.