Wiecek Article: Pressure Mounts On And Off Field For MOS

Noeller

On 3/30/2016 at 9:28 PM, Dragon37 said:

Don't you know by now that Mike knows everything and is always right?

For the record, I wouldn't call Waggoner a "solid" ST player either. 

BTW regardless of the role of the player on the team all downfield players SHOULD be ready to tackle. As well, each player is responsible for a lane on the field. If the returner is in your lane he is in your responsibility.

With STs the players that are downfield first and making the bulk of the tackles are usually your most solid players. Heck those guys often make the tackle even when they have been beaten initially. 

I would say Waggoner is maybe average, considering we chose to give up a top pick for him I would lean to he is a bit of a wash. If you are going to give up your first round pick you damn well better do a bit better than a "L5" STer.

after his first season in cfl football?

smh.

I'm not sure you will have me believe that a coach is going to instruct a player, QB, kicker, to lay down and play dead rather than attempt to tackle an opponent. That being said where do you draw the line as to who should or shouldn't? Do you want Dressler to try and make a tackle on an INT? Perhaps it would be better to have a coach say "take an angle to try and direct the opponent either to the sideline or back unto the field of play. The angle being the operative approach as opposed to a head in tackle.

On 3/30/2016 at 9:40 AM, Mike said:

I guess that really depends on what the coach has asked of you. Some coaches will simply demand their kickers don't go all out on those plays. Try and wrap up or knock the returner out of bounds, maybe trip him up if you can but you're not going to ask your kicker to full blown submarine himself at a returner in most cases.

A well played "fall-down" has it's merit.

7 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

I'm not sure you will have me believe that a coach is going to instruct a player, QB, kicker, to lay down and play dead rather than attempt to tackle an opponent. That being said where do you draw the line as to who should or shouldn't? Do you want Dressler to try and make a tackle on an INT? Perhaps it would be better to have a coach say "take an angle to try and direct the opponent either to the sideline or back unto the field of play. The angle being the operative approach as opposed to a head in tackle.

I don't know who many times I have seen a coach chew out his quarterback for attempting to make a tackle after turnover.

On March 31, 2016 at 9:47 AM, SPuDS said:

smh.

I said a bit of a wash. That leaves room for improvement. I have underestimated players before so I try to leave some room for them to improve. I don't think that he was worth giving up a first round pick though. The only time I would give up a first rounder is if I was sure that what I was getting was a sure starter. 

On 3/29/2016 at 9:05 PM, Atomic said:

Worth noting, the common refrain during Mack's reign was "well look what Kelly left for them!  Our Canadian talent is much better now."  Can't help but feel a little deja vu when reading this stuff now.

However I really do think that our Canadian talent now is the best it's been since 2011, maybe even 2007-08.  Certainly our starters look good on paper.

What I'm really interested in is not the comparisons between Walters and Mack or any of his predecessors, but Walters against the other GMs in the league. That is who he is truly competing against. Is Walters signing better players for the Bombers than other GMs are for their teams?

On 3/29/2016 at 4:13 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Garrett Waggoner - not a strong ST player (apparently), but nice hair though!  That's the only thing I need to base an opinion on him! :D

1297702459134_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I can't help but wonder what goes through a young man's mind when he is grooming himself in the mirror and sees this long hair and thinks to himself "Oh yeah, that looks good!" 

On 3/31/2016 at 0:33 AM, iso_55 said:

For once, Mike & I agree. I saw Noel Prefontaine get seriously injured once making a tackle. And Prefontaine was athletic for a kicker. Medlock looks like he's not that strong except for his kicking leg.

Then kick the ball carrier!

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Then kick the ball carrier!

Heh.

I would like to point out that no matter what your job is on the field they are playing a sport that may result in an injury. An injury can result regardless of what you are doing. Part of football is being able to properly tackle and I would hope that every player I hire and put on the field to be able to tackle. Most kickers have played very little and as a result are not very good in the open field or knowing the right moves to successfully tackle another player. As such their efforts often do not pay off but I have yet to see, and would not expect to see, a kicker intentionally not attempt to tackle someone. Injury is always a risk to cripple your team by being worried about it to the point where you may handcuff the team in some strikes me as lame duck coaching.

3 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Heh.

I would like to point out that no matter what your job is on the field they are playing a sport that may result in an injury. An injury can result regardless of what you are doing. Part of football is being able to properly tackle and I would hope that every player I hire and put on the field to be able to tackle. Most kickers have played very little and as a result are not very good in the open field or knowing the right moves to successfully tackle another player. As such their efforts often do not pay off but I have yet to see, and would not expect to see, a kicker intentionally not attempt to tackle someone. Injury is always a risk to cripple your team by being worried about it to the point where you may handcuff the team in some strikes me as lame duck coaching.

Ahhhh. Nope. This isn't bantam football. You don't throw your kicker into a tackling drill just like you don't your quarterbacks at the CFL level. If a kicker can make a tackle it's a bonus. It's foolish to expect it because of injuries.

Is it true that defensive players are instructed to headhunt the QB on a pick or a turnover? 

I seem to recall that Anthony Calvillo got totally creamed by a blindside block when he was cruising around pretending to play defence after he threw a pick.

6 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Is it true that defensive players are instructed to headhunt the QB on a pick or a turnover? 

I seem to recall that Anthony Calvillo got totally creamed by a blindside block when he was cruising around pretending to play defence after he threw a pick.

If a defensive or special teams player can rock a qb or a kicker he's going to take it.

18 hours ago, johnzo said:

3 rules things your taught on a D turnover is block to closet man, get to the sidelines, get the qb

On April 2, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Dragon37 said:

Heh.

You haven't seen a kicker intentionally avoid attempting to make a tackle?  Seriously?  Watch almost any long return and you'll see it.  There are a handful of kickers in pro football with any tackling instincts.  Usually the best you can hope for is that they'll force the returner to cut inside.

Westwood would literally run at a 45 degree angle to the returner and just run with him until the guy went past.  That's a common one, run but not with any intent, run to the sideline.

On 4/2/2016 at 4:37 AM, Dragon37 said:

I said a bit of a wash. That leaves room for improvement. I have underestimated players before so I try to leave some room for them to improve. I don't think that he was worth giving up a first round pick though. The only time I would give up a first rounder is if I was sure that what I was getting was a sure starter. 

fair enough.  I thought he was capable in his first season and while tempered by the last few rookies we have seen come through the wings, believe he will evolve into a solid addition as he gets more into the CFL game and its speed/timing..

On 3/31/2016 at 9:47 AM, SPuDS said:

smh.

No kidding. A lot of fans over waggoner. Its very very rare for a guy to step in and be dominant the year hes drafted. Especially at a ratio breaking position, even more so coming from the US. Henoc didnt light the world on fire in his first season. Waggoner has shown some really nice flashes and i cant wait to see what he brings in his 2nd year.