Picard Released

Jpan85

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yer right, Picard can't play any other position so as a backup O-lineman he has little value.

The guy is a monster, unbelievably strong and plays with a nasty edge. 

53 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can't you just talk football? Really. It all just seems to be the same whining phrased differently in every single one of your posts lately. 

Give me a break. You conveniently ignored Noeller's post. If you want to come down on me fine then come down on him for saying what he did. Quit playing favourites around here picking on people you don't like. 

4 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Give me a break. You conveniently ignored Noeller's post. If you want to come down on me fine then come down on him for saying what he did. Quit playing favourites around here picking on people you don't like. 

I was referring to your original post, friend. It's not playing favorites, Iso. I'm just not sure why some people feel airing the same complaint over and over in different threads is a valid contribution. As a member, not an "administrator", it just makes things difficult to read. 

This is a thread to talk about his release and your first two posts are discussing the mismanagement (in your opinion) of this franchise. Neither one has any relevance to the thread, it's just yet another complaint. 

SI disagree as someone said that with the release of Picard along with other players it leaves us thin on the OL.  I said that losing our second pick in the Supplemental Draft  really hurts us as chances are a very good National OL will be available at Number 2 & that is where one of our glaring weakness is . By the 9th pick the best National players will be gone.

My point? I think it shows that Walters was overly confident & felt we'd finish higher this past season than we did so it was probably a mistake to lose a draft pick like that. Then Noeller comes back with the Stamps thing again trying to somehow say I'm not a Bomber fan but a Stamps fan when he knows nothing about me. I was talking football so who took the discussion off the rails first. me? I insulted no one. I made a comment & was mocked. This whole team is under the gun with decisions that were made going back as far as a couple of seasons. So again, you give me crap but not Noeller??? If you believe the behaviour is wrong then please tell us both to stop. 

BTW, I have nothing against Noeller, I like the guy. We don't agree but I respect his opinion & always have. 

11 hours ago, iso_55 said:

We gave up the second pick in the first round. Instead we pick 9th now... And considering how thin we always are at OL that is good, how???

Walters has done an awful job as GM. If I remember correctly that second pick went to Edmonton as part of the Nichols deal because we needed a QB because Brohm and Marve, two other selections of Walters, were terrible. The QB management by Walters has been horrible. I agree with you, it would be nice to have that pick now.

At least Moore and Picard, while flops, only cost us money and SMS space.

We remain perilously thin with quality linemen and I'd argue the same is true at receiver.

Simply horrible after 2 years on the job and barring a miracle, I don't see it being much better after 3 years on the job.

On a positive note, there was Westerman.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Walters has done an awful job as GM. If I remember correctly that second pick went to Edmonton as part of the Nichols deal because we needed a QB because Brohm and Marve, two other selections of Walters, were terrible. The QB management by Walters has been horrible. I agree with you, it would be nice to have that pick now.

We remain perilously thin with quality linemen and I'd argue the same is true at receiver.

Simply horrible after 2 years on the job and barring a miracle, I don't see it being much better after 3 years on the job.

It was a conditional 7th I believe

14 minutes ago, holoman said:
1 hour ago, J5V said:

It was a conditional 7th I believe

Yes, a conditional 7th round in 2017.

If you are talking about the 2nd overall pick (our first round pick), we used it in the supplemental draft to grab Garrett Waggoner.  

So it wasn't a wasted or traded pick, we just picked a player early.  Will take a couple of years before we really know if it was wisely used or not.

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Likely we draft a guy at 9 or 10 and they try like heck to sign a NI OL in Fa.

They will have to do better than try like heck to sign a NI OL in FA. It is now an absolute necessity. No other option.....well trade I guess. We have 2 NI OL that we can depend on right now to start. Sorry Neufeld fans, this is the guy that really needed replacement he just didn't cost as much. If we go into the season pencilling Neufeld in as a starter on our OL, we're screwed. Plain and simple. The Bombers absolutely must find a starting OG in FA that will keep Neufeld to being a 6th OL. Anything short of that and we are flirting with disaster.

I get the Picard angst, but our OL is in shambles right now.

Edited by gcn11

While I agree that Picard's days were coming to an end in WPG, (no one really mentioned his penalty troubles this yr).  We absolutely need to sign at least 1 FA OL.  We really need 5 cdn OL minimum right?  On the whole roster I mean.  The only situation where we may not need that many is if we end up starting only 2 cdn OL.  For that we would have to all of a sudden have a couple guys like Bilukidi & Mulumba to show up in camp.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

You remember incorrectly which essentially renders the rest of this argument moot. Nichols cost us a conditional 7th rounder, not a 2nd overall pick. Would your opinion on his QB management change now that you know the asset we gave up to give us a continuing shot at the playoffs last year was a throw away?

Walters has done a lot of things wrong as GM - QB management is not one of them. Unless he's supposed to manage the health of Drew Willy.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

You remember incorrectly which essentially renders the rest of this argument moot. Nichols cost us a conditional 7th rounder, not a 2nd overall pick. Would your opinion on his QB management change now that you know the asset we gave up to give us a continuing shot at the playoffs last year was a throw away?

Walters has done a lot of things wrong as GM - QB management is not one of them. Unless he's supposed to manage the health of Drew Willy.

One could make a very coherent argument that Willy's injuries were a result of a management shortcoming by Walters. Unless, of course, you believe he has made our OL better. Different names on it, and younger, but not any more effective.

This FA is going to tell me all I need to know about Walters. If he doesn't land a capable starting NI OL we will be looking down the rabbit hole early in the season this coming year. No way a draft pick is likely to help us this year as a starter WHEN, NOT IF, Neufeld goes to the tub.

Edited by gcn11

Still trying to be a Walters fan... but QB management has not been great.

Argue all you want, but the fact that first Boltus and then Brohm were brought in as legit backups is evidence enough.   Yes, we got Nichols for some jock straps but I don't think anyone else was interested.  Edmonton would have had to cut him soon enough.

Then a never-ending trail of 3rd stringers... Brown, Portis, Davis, etc..

Add the fact that we traded for Brohm and Portis... and well...  we traded for Willy but Hamilton got the real jewel in Collaros.

Walters may have been hampered by advice from MB but still, he's the GM and its his final call.

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Still trying to be a Walters fan... but QB management has not been great.

Argue all you want, but the fact that first Boltus and then Brohm were brought in as legit backups is evidence enough.   Yes, we got Nichols for some jock straps but I don't think anyone else was interested.  Edmonton would have had to cut him soon enough.

Then a never-ending trail of 3rd stringers... Brown, Portis, Davis, etc..

Add the fact that we traded for Brohm and Portis... and well...  we traded for Willy but Hamilton got the real jewel in Collaros.

Walters may have been hampered by advice from MB but still, he's the GM and its his final call.

Right now QB management is the least of our worries. I am hoping my friend Big Dave from Walmart isn't in camp fighting for and with a good chance of getting a roster spot as a NI OL.

i am guessing that picard was due some $$$$ very shortly, and his play last year was not the best, he was hurt alot and his age is a big factor, i like the way goosen played at the end, him starting 3-4 games will be a big plus for this year

i bet we draft 2 cdn oline men 9 and 10 th this year, 

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, a conditional 7th round in 2017.

If you are talking about the 2nd overall pick (our first round pick), we used it in the supplemental draft to grab Garrett Waggoner.  

So it wasn't a wasted or traded pick, we just picked a player early.  Will take a couple of years before we really know if it was wisely used or not.

Thank you. tired of hearing it was a wasted pick. We drafted someone early that's all. And it's too early to tell if it was a mistake to pick him or not.