Mack Herron Dead At 67

Noeller

that's very sad. Really use to enjoy watching his very exciting play. Rumour has it that him and a couple other Bomber players rented a house on Wellington Crescent and had quite the party house. A little guy whit a real heart to run. Rest in Peace Mack.

Very sorry to hear.  At the time Mini-Mack Herron and Don Jonas (QB at the time) were loved in this city similar to what Khari and Milt were in a later era. One of the most talented and entertaining to ever wear the Blue and Gold.  His time here was over far too soon. He was never forgotten though and we watched with pride as he made highlight reel after highlight reel in the NFL. A shame more footage doesn't exist. May he rest in peace.

I remember the fiasco when Herron was arested & charged in May of 73 for simple possession of weed in his apartment & was promptly cut by then GM Earl Lunsford who was the REAL judge, jury & executioner. Turned out Herron's trial was about 8 months later & he never served any jail time but was ordered to make a public apology. As well as read a letter directed at kids in public about the evils of drug use & that was it. No criminal record, just a fine & it was over. He still could have played in 1973 & 74 but Lunsford released him. 

Lunsford did the same thing to WR Jim Thorpe who was caught at the border coming into Canada thru Windsor with a small amount of weed & hash a few days later, He was arrested & charged by the RCMP & Lunsford cut him as well. Anyway,within a couple of week in May of 1973 we lost the CFL's best running back, one of the elite receivers in the league at the time & then All Canadian left guard Bob Lueck retired. Of course our offense stunk in 1973 & we went from 10-6 in 1972 to 4-12 in 1973. 

I don't know about Thorpe as he disappeared from the CFL after he was arrested. I don't know if he was banned from coming into Canada or spent any time in jail. (Maybe he was blackballed by other CFL GMs?) I do know that Herron could have played thru his contract as it turned out the Crown really didn't go after him hard in trial. he got off with a slap on the wrist. But thanks to Lunsford, there were no second chances. Just that he was released  months before his trial began. Not a good enough reason to cut Herron, I thought. And we sucked the next season...

Yes, he was a drug addict and was arrested many times, the last time quite recently. Very sad, but despite the fact that he was a very troubled individual he was a human being who had value (as we all do) and he deserves to be honoured. He was a great football player and the first Bomber I ever remember following as a kid. I am sad to hear of his passing and send his family my condolences.

The guy just died man. Maybe wait a day or two before airing all his demons and dirty laundry again?

SPuDs, he was in jail the equivalent of decades since he left the NFL in the mid 70's. If he wasn't in jail then he was living on the streets in Chicago. His dirty laundry was already well known so myself or anyone else isn't airing or saying anything bad about Herron that wasn't said before & was public knowledge. He was an addict & a dealer probably sold to young kids among others. He wasn't a nice guy. So, am I supposed to lie & say what an upstanding person he was for 24 hours? It is what it is. He wasted his life away & that is sad. I just hope he finally now has found peace. 

The guy just died man. Maybe wait a day or two before airing all his demons and dirty laundry again?

SPuDs, he was in jail the equivalent of decades since he left the NFL in the mid 70's. If he wasn't in jail then he was living on the streets in Chicago. His dirty laundry was already well known so myself or anyone else isn't airing or saying anything bad about Herron that wasn't said before & was public knowledge. He was an addict & a dealer probably sold to young kids among others. He wasn't a nice guy. So, am I supposed to lie & say what an upstanding person he was for 24 hours? It is what it is. He wasted his life away & that is sad. I just hope he finally now has found peace. 

You might want to read the story before making blanket statements based on assumptions.  Either way this is not the right time to attack the guys character, let it rest.

You might want to read the story before making blanket statements based on assumptions.  Either way this is not the right time to attack the guys character, let it rest.

Edit

Well, if you're referring to any Free Press stories I can't as I don't have an online subscription. Besides, I've read plenty of stories about Herron so what assumptions? In & out of prison for drug offenses since the late 70's. His criminal background is a matter of public record. 

For a lot of present day younger Bomber fans they may or may not have ever heard of him so his background is something of interest. Mack was a heckuva football player & I was a big fan when he played for us but the last time he suited up for the Bombers was the Western Conference Final in Novermber 1972. That was 43 years ago. His life didn't just come to a stop when he left here for the New England Patriots. He was responsible for the life choices he made afterwards. He wasted his life. I really do hope that Mack Herron has finally found peace. 

Iso, To say that Mack Heron wasted his life is an awful comment. Do you have any idea what he went through? He was screwed by the NFL, and being black is far from being an advantage when your poor and need to live in a shitty neighbourhood. Oh, "but it's the facts". You can't do what he's done man. Not in ten lifetimes.

Speaking this way about someone who wrestled with additions and died is not only classless, it's pathetic.  I was fed up with his constant slagging of the Bombers but this is a new low.  Would really be nice if he would just go grace some other forum with his presence.  "Spread the joy", so to speak.

.....R.I.P. Mini-Mack...you were one of the best Bomber players I had the pleasure of watching...Carrying those big D linemen on his back into the end zone was a real feat and treat... Speed, low stature and powerful legs made this guy tick...Too bad his time here was cut short by a narrow minded gm but he still managed to make the NFL...Passed away far too young..condolences to his family..

Iso, To say that Mack Heron wasted his life is an awful comment. Do you have any idea what he went through? He was screwed by the NFL, and being black is far from being an advantage when your poor and need to live in a shitty neighbourhood. Oh, "but it's the facts". You can't do what he's done man. Not in ten lifetimes.

In & out of jail for most of his adult life. Arrested 20 times for drug possession. Okay, if that's not wasting your life then what is. With Herron's pure football skill he could have done a lot with his life because of the money he made & helped others. He was an addict. He lost everything. Not every player that put on the Bomber uniform is someone to look up to. I was a fan 43 years ago. Not now. The man has died, he's out of any anguish he suffered.