Mack Herron Dead At 67

Noeller

I notice the new Stamps site (Riders still looks like the 90's and sucks BTW) has a dedication page to Willie Burden http://www.stampeders.com/2015/12/05/willie-burden-obit/. Be nice if the Bombers did something for Mini Mack, although considering how he left it probably won't happen.

I notice the new Stamps site (Riders still looks like the 90's and sucks BTW) has a dedication page to Willie Burden http://www.stampeders.com/2015/12/05/willie-burden-obit/. Be nice if the Bombers did something for Mini Mack, although considering how he left it probably won't happen.

I don't think it'll ever happen. The circumstances & the way Mack Herron left the team & the history after. Had he never had any other convictions then yes, I believe the Bombers would have honoured him in some way. Now, I just can't see it happening.

Let me just say this about Mack Herron the player. I was fortunate to see him play. To me, he was just as dominating a back as Willard Reaves or Willie Burden. He could play & dominate in today's game. He was only 5'4 & weighed 195 lbs with legs like tree trunks. Herron was strong as a bull, fast, agile, could make tacklers miss or run over them. Because of his (lack of) height he was hard to tackle & actually could hide for a split second in the wash on the OL on a handoff. Tacklers lost track of him as they couldn't see him. Then, he was gone & no one on the field would catch him.

Herron was the CFL's leading rusher in 1972 with 1,527 yards. He also returned kickoffs. There were games where he put the Bombers on his back & won games grinding it out on the field. Herron was an outstanding running back, maybe one of the best who ever played with his natural ability & talent. I haven't seen another back like him since. He was a BIG little man. 

Iso, To say that Mack Heron wasted his life is an awful comment. Do you have any idea what he went through? He was screwed by the NFL, and being black is far from being an advantage when your poor and need to live in a shitty neighbourhood. Oh, "but it's the facts". You can't do what he's done man. Not in ten lifetimes.

In & out of jail for most of his adult life. Arrested 20 times for drug possession. Okay, if that's not wasting your life then what is. With Herron's pure football skill he could have done a lot with his life because of the money he made & helped others. He was an addict. He lost everything. Not every player that put on the Bomber uniform is someone to look up to. I was a fan 43 years ago. Not now. The man has died, he's out of any anguish he suffered.

You are clueless to Herron's life. His criminal record was a result of lifestyle crimes. Not property crimes. Not violent crimes. Crimes in Canada that a person would not spend time in jail. In fact, players in professional football today, would not be banished for first time drug use. His banishment was in the unenlightened days.

He grew up in the third most crime ridden district of 77 in Chicago. You wouldn't be able to walk 15 minutes through that area, Lawndale. Tell the folks in Lawndale they are wasting there lives. Your 15 minutes would be generous. 40% of the adults have not graduated high school. Unemployment approaches 20%. Average income is $11,000.00.

Destitute ex footballers is not a new concept. It often goes with the territory and cannot be blamed on bad choices.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/marshall-plan-nfl-retirees-cte-fundraisers-article-1.1594828

I would like to see you alter you're opinion. An opinion that allows for the unimaginable in your view. We are very lucky that we have many more advantages than others. We shouldn't take it for granted.

Iso, To say that Mack Heron wasted his life is an awful comment. Do you have any idea what he went through? He was screwed by the NFL, and being black is far from being an advantage when your poor and need to live in a shitty neighbourhood. Oh, "but it's the facts". You can't do what he's done man. Not in ten lifetimes.

In & out of jail for most of his adult life. Arrested 20 times for drug possession. Okay, if that's not wasting your life then what is. With Herron's pure football skill he could have done a lot with his life because of the money he made & helped others. He was an addict. He lost everything. Not every player that put on the Bomber uniform is someone to look up to. I was a fan 43 years ago. Not now. The man has died, he's out of any anguish he suffered.

You are clueless to Herron's life. His criminal record was a result of lifestyle crimes. Not property crimes. Not violent crimes. Crimes in Canada that a person would not spend time in jail. In fact, players in professional football today, would not be banished for first time drug use. His banishment was in the unenlightened days.

He grew up in the third most crime ridden district of 77 in Chicago. You wouldn't be able to walk 15 minutes through that area, Lawndale. Tell the folks in Lawndale they are wasting there lives. Your 15 minutes would be generous. 40% of the adults have not graduated high school. Unemployment approaches 20%. Average income is $11,000.00.

Destitute ex footballers is not a new concept. It often goes with the territory and cannot be blamed on bad choices.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/marshall-plan-nfl-retirees-cte-fundraisers-article-1.1594828

I would like to see you alter you're opinion. An opinion that allows for the unimaginable in your view. We are very lucky that we have many more advantages than others. We shouldn't take it for granted.

What has CTE got to do with Herron who was into drugs as a teenager from everything I read about him? Dealing & trafficking heroin is dangerous not only to a guy like Herron but other innocent people around him are put at risk. Other people have come from bad, gang infested neighbourhoods in the US & made a life for themselves. Others didn't. Football gave Herron a way out & he didn't take it. He made some bad decisions so... alter my opinion, no.

I coached football 15 years ago with a guy from the US who grew up near Detroit. He told me some harrowing stories of life growing up there in the 70's. How he had to go to school in a different neighbourhood. How the turf where he lived was controlled by one gang & the school another. The gunfire. He said he was scared for his life everyday.

He didn't get pulled into gang life & stayed away from drugs. His escape from reality was football & his very strong belief in God. He played high school football because he was passionate about the game but he also felt safe with his coaches & teammates I forget how he got to Calgary. His wife is from here so I imagine that is how he immigrated to Canada. He is a deeply religious man & he said his faith in God got him through. I think it's all about choices. He made good life choices & actually did get out & is living a happy, full life here now.

My apologies for starting this thread anew after it had been locked but I was out of town when the news broke and never got a chance to post.

I'm terribly saddened to hear of Mack Herron's passing. He gave us so many great thrills as a Bomber playing alongside other Bomber greats like Jim Thorpe and Don Jonas. I remember being absolutely devastated when he was unceremoniously run out of town. Such an incredible talent handled so very poorly by a society with little understanding yet so much condemnation of so-called "drug abuse".  Very sad story indeed. My deepest condolences go out to his family at this time.