Post Season Diagnosis & Therapy

BigBlue

The attitude I detect right now is the most anemic and apathetic state I have ever seen a Blue Bomber fan site .... 

I just talked to an old friend (who has not had season tickets in years) order them up with a sense of hope and optimism .... my jaw dropped .... have I become a cynic and bitter? Am  I alone?

Watching Ottawa & Edmonton in the GC this year shows me the power of good leadership in transforming a basement dweller ... I have no reason to believe we have any such leadership here ...

Do we have the elements in place here in Wpg that would produce a foundation for a run for first place in 2016 (or even 2017)?

I renewed my season tickets and I'm excited to do so.   I've been around long enough to know that that there are ups and downs and that things will turn around.  I'm keeping the faith.   I honestly believe that the loyal fans enjoy the ups more than the bandwaggon jumpers because they know what the downs feel like.

The attitude I detect right now is the most anemic and apathetic state I have ever seen a Blue Bomber fan site .... 

I just talked to an old friend (who has not had season tickets in years) order them up with a sense of hope and optimism .... my jaw dropped .... have I become a cynic and bitter? Am  I alone?

Watching Ottawa & Edmonton in the GC this year shows me the power of good leadership in transforming a basement dweller ... I have no reason to believe we have any such leadership here ...

Do we have the elements in place here in Wpg that would produce a foundation for a run for first place in 2016 (or even 2017)?

I honestly don't know what I'd do regarding Blue Bomber season tickets if I still lived in Winnipeg as the last 4 years have been dreary & sad. I was a season ticket holder from 1974 to 1989 until I moved to Calgary & then had season tickets for the Stamps from 90 to 98 when I gave them up as I got into coaching as I had 2 young boys who wanted to play football. The practices & games as well as having 2 kids playing simultaneously at 2 different levels made it nearly impossible to attend Stamps games. Back in those days the CFL in the summer & early fall played more games during the week than they do now. 

If I never left Winnipeg, I'd like to think I'd hang in there & support the team & be a 40 year plus STH but I'm very disgruntled & angry as y'all know. I wish I could be as optimistic as Noeller & 17to85 but I don't see anything there with the triad running the team now to be anywhere near as positive as they are. I really wish I could feel like they do.  Man, seeing the Esks win another Grey Cup after being 4-14 in 2013 is so depressing. I was choked. Just don't know anyway else to describe it. 

I can tell you this. From my own personal experience, once people give up their season tickets chances are they'll never renew again. I got into a different mode of thinking. Football practices & coaching my older son & later my younger one was the most important thing for me.  

I used to be so excited to go to Bomber games. Couldn't wait to get to my seats, see ST holders who became friends I had known for years.that sat around me. Whether I was 16 or 35 that feeling never left. I have no idea if I'd feel like that now because of all the disappointments the team has thrown out on the field for years. Pretty sad as far as I'm concerned. 

Well, it was nice to see many of the players we had brought in or had on the team had successful seasons on good teams.  That means our talent was there.

Odell Willis

Adarius Bowman

Donny Oramasionwu

Chris Greaves

Cauchy Muamba

Cory Watson

Justin Sorenson

Wallace Miles

(** yes I left Grigsby and Simpson off the list)

Jovon Johnson

Mo Hopkins

(** yes I left Shawn Lemon off the list)

We were in many games this year, just like Lapo's team from 2010.  We were not playing catchup from deep holes like in the past either, just lacking the killer instinct. I'm wanting to see what O'Shea and Walters can bring to year 3.

I'd love to be optimistic but I see no reason to believe that we are headed in the right direction. The stats don't show it. The history of the league doesn't show it. The wins don't show it. The team's preparation doesn't show it. The lack of fight in the last game doesn't show it. 

Regina was the only team that was worse than us this year. They're looking at good to great people from winning programs to turn themselves around... Hufnagel and Murphy from the Stamps and Chris Jones from Edmonton. We're looking at the same people who missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and got us to 8th place two years in a row to suddenly get better to turn us around. 

I don't believe that firing coaches who couldn't do the job were the wrong decisions when we did it except in Berry's case. I don't believe that firing HC's who couldn't cut it would hurt in hiring new coaches because it never has anywhere else in the league. I don't believe keeping the top 3 guys the same when we they haven't been able to make the playoffs or get out of 8th or beat any of the top 5 teams or even get 2 wins in a row for more than a year and a half is a good decision.

I'd be all over the consistency argument if we were winning enough games to get into the playoffs, if we could beat any of the the top teams, if we were winning more games each year with the same group. That's the kind of consistency I'm looking for and this group hasn't gotten anywhere close to it.

We've only seen the beginning of "ugly" if the trends keep trending for the Bomber organization and they can't afford a repeat performance on any level.  Turnarounds have to come from some direction and I don't see how "working harder" is going to push this bunch over the hump. 

Mike O'Shea is a man without answers to a whole lot of questions so I don't expect him to be the one that lifts this team to the next level.  I think for the most part the D is on track to play competitive ball if they can field a few more high-performers and sort out the glut of talent they have accumulated at LB.  My real hope is that they get lucky with the new OC and Willy in terms of health and production and they put together an offence that is both consistent and effective for the first time since Kevin Glenn was in the wheelhouse and Milt was tearing up the side-lines.

Until they start winning and can field a good product... I don't think city will have any excitement over this club.   

To many years in a row of bringing in new guys and coaches only for them to fall apart and look like crap.    I can't get excited until I know that the team can actually move the ball and compete game in and game out. 

If they sign LaPolice and bring in other teams garbage  (i.e.  Walker,  Kelly,  Hurl, Peach etc..) to compete for starting spots then yikes the season will be a write off even before they step on the field.  

The team needs big changes and Walters needs to get off his ass and start recruiting real imports that can make an impact.   

Surprise surprise the people who are constantly nothing but negative see no hope. It's not whether Walters and O'Shea are the right people, but the fact that they are being given enough rope to hang themselves is a good thing. It lets things stabilize themselves before we have to make yet another change to everything. Provides a bit more of a base to work with as opposed to the constant upheaval we've gone through, in particular with the Canadians on the team. People don't like to hear to but patience will be rewarded even if it does involve another change at GM. If a new GM walks in he's got a couple young OL developing, and a qb who can be the guy. That's a better starting position than any of the last GMs stepped into. 

I'd love to be optimistic but I see no reason to believe that we are headed in the right direction. The stats don't show it. The history of the league doesn't show it. The wins don't show it. The team's preparation doesn't show it. The lack of fight in the last game doesn't show it. 

Regina was the only team that was worse than us this year. They're looking at good to great people from winning programs to turn themselves around... Hufnagel and Murphy from the Stamps and Chris Jones from Edmonton. We're looking at the same people who missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and got us to 8th place two years in a row to suddenly get better to turn us around. 

I don't believe that firing coaches who couldn't do the job were the wrong decisions when we did it except in Berry's case. I don't believe that firing HC's who couldn't cut it would hurt in hiring new coaches because it never has anywhere else in the league. I don't believe keeping the top 3 guys the same when we they haven't been able to make the playoffs or get out of 8th or beat any of the top 5 teams or even get 2 wins in a row for more than a year and a half is a good decision.

I'd be all over the consistency argument if we were winning enough games to get into the playoffs, if we could beat any of the the top teams, if we were winning more games each year with the same group. That's the kind of consistency I'm looking for and this group hasn't gotten anywhere close to it.

very well Stroked!! Consistency is great if it translates into winning football. All I am seeing from the current management team is consistently losing football!

Surprise surprise the people who are constantly nothing but negative see no hope. It's not whether Walters and O'Shea are the right people, but the fact that they are being given enough rope to hang themselves is a good thing. It lets things stabilize themselves before we have to make yet another change to everything. Provides a bit more of a base to work with as opposed to the constant upheaval we've gone through, in particular with the Canadians on the team. People don't like to hear to but patience will be rewarded even if it does involve another change at GM. If a new GM walks in he's got a couple young OL developing, and a qb who can be the guy. That's a better starting position than any of the last GMs stepped into. 

Surprise surprise the same people who are constantly nothing but positive see hope where there isn't any. We've already given O'Shea and Walters enough rope to hang themselves, and they did. Now we'll give them one more season to see if both of the first 2 seasons were flukes. The most likely outcome is we will have to make changes mid-season next year and that almost never works out. A new GM and HC would be stepping into a better situation now than Walters and O'Shea did. Mid season next year... not so much.

Surprise surprise the same people who are constantly nothing but positive see hope where there isn't any. We've already given O'Shea and Walters enough rope to hang themselves, and they did. Now we'll give them one more season to see if both of the first 2 seasons were flukes. The most likely outcome is we will have to make changes mid-season next year and that almost never works out. A new GM and HC would be stepping into a better situation now than Walters and O'Shea did. Mid season next year... not so much.

I wouldn't say I'm constantly positive, I can point out things that are wrong, the trouble is when you see everything as being wrong anyone who tells you that not everything is wrong is seen as pumping sunshine and rainbows up everyones ass. You are so certain that you alone are correct in that everything is **** that you won't even entertain the notion that it's not as bad as you think it is. As long as Walters and O'Shea aren't doing damage to the team (which they aren't) I'll give them another year at least to see if we need to be upgrading.