Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

23 hours ago, Floyd said:

Agreed, he was pissed at the way they used him last year...

Harris thinks he is better than the Lions do obviously. Nothing wrong with a player being confident. I'd be careful about throwing too much money at him, think you will be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Pick one....

Capicotti, Laurent, or Bourke

Probably Capcotti, though I wouldn't mind Laurent either.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Word around @cfl is Jerome Messam's asking price is 130 k while Andrew Harris is higher, a little south of 200 k

Sold!

Yeah, he's yours. I'm not taking Harris at 200K.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Word around @cfl is Jerome Messam's asking price is 130 k while Andrew Harris is higher, a little south of 200 k

Sold!

Assuming the above is correct I'll take Messam for that without hesitation. That 70 K can be used for players that we'll also be bidding for. I have nothing against paying Harris that much money. I'm just more so surprised Messam's asking price would be that low.

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

Wish we would have taken Laurent instead of Poblah ... :(

'Cept it wasn't a choice between Poblah and Laurent - Wpg could've had both. Bombers, with the first pick overall in the 2011 supp draft, selected Poblah. Bombers then could have selected Laurent in the second round even after they selected Poblah first overall in the first round. Bombers would have had to forfeit a 3rd round pick if they had picked up Laurent, however. And Bombers didn't want to do that, apparently, so Laurent was scooped up by Esks. I think Esks Tillman knew Laurent better from Ole Miss. then again, much of the same talent-assessing braintrust for Wpg then as now in Walters and Lapolice. Here's Lapo saying Bombers thought Poblah was best athlete: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/30/blue-bombers-select-poblah-in-supplemental-draft

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

'Cept it wasn't a choice between Poblah and Laurent - Wpg could've had both. Bombers, with the first pick overall in the 2011 supp draft, selected Poblah. Bombers then could have selected Laurent in the second round even after they selected Poblah first overall in the first round. Bombers would have had to forfeit a 3rd round pick if they had picked up Laurent, however. And Bombers didn't want to do that, apparently, so Laurent was scooped up by Esks. I think Esks Tillman knew Laurent better from Ole Miss. then again, much of the same talent-assessing braintrust for Wpg then as now in Walters and Lapolice. Here's Lapo saying Bombers thought Poblah was best athlete: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/30/blue-bombers-select-poblah-in-supplemental-draft

I certainly don't think Lapo was wrong about Poblah, it just didn't work out, which was disappointing. The guy definitely had talent and was a great athlete. 

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Dump Moore's 180k and sign Dressler ✔️ That's the trade off right there.

sign Messam - he wants Calgary, but may be possible

Picard's 180k lets us sign Shologan or Laurent - No, it doesn't. We extended Daniels and Goosen, need an o-liner for Picard.

Sign a bunch of import OL fo 80-90k - good idea...in theory.

Easy. Signing Laurent would be very expensive and would restrict access to other FAs. Shologan? Possible, not likely. Laurent is the big domino. Once he signs somewhere, the rest of the dominoes will follow. Not so easy after all.

Laurent is a mercenary. He doesn't care where he signs as long as a team shows him the money. Then in a year or two he moves on to another team willing to pay him. Is this the kind of player we really want? I don't. There are other DL out there I hope we go after.

Edited by iso_55