I am disgusted at our Cheapskates

BigBlue

McManus' job is the easiest one on the personnel side.  He's been a dud.  It's been two seasons and we have Bass and Johnny Adams as actual pieces moving forward in terms of guys brought in the last couple years from the US.  That is beyond brutal.  Time to make a change in that personnel role.  If they like McManus touring the US and scouting in person, maybe keep him and add a role for a John Murphy type guy who has contacts and can do both sides of that job.  Or just can McManus.

Our drafting hasn't been much better.  Goossen is struggling to prove himself as a CFLer.  Chungh looks fine, other than that we haven't even added someone capable of being a role player on offense or defense to this point since Walters has been in charge.

I don't see a lot to be hopeful about at that level after two seasons, Walters, Goveia, McManus.  This is a much larger cause for concern in comparison to the coaching.  If I were Wade Miller I'd probably fire the whole crew, but McManus should be an obvious one.

McManus' job is the easiest one on the personnel side.  He's been a dud.  It's been two seasons and we have Bass and Johnny Adams as actual pieces moving forward in terms of guys brought in the last couple years from the US.  That is beyond brutal.  Time to make a change in that personnel role.  If they like McManus touring the US and scouting in person, maybe keep him and add a role for a John Murphy type guy who has contacts and can do both sides of that job.  Or just can McManus.

Our drafting hasn't been much better.  Goossen is struggling to prove himself as a CFLer.  Chungh looks fine, other than that we haven't even added someone capable of being a role player on offense or defense to this point since Walters has been in charge.

I don't see a lot to be hopeful about at that level after two seasons, Walters, Goveia, McManus.  This is a much larger cause for concern in comparison to the coaching.  If I were Wade Miller I'd probably fire the whole crew, but McManus should be an obvious one.

Too bad I can't give you more than one like on this post as you nailed the problems with this team to a tee. 

The scouting dept. has to be looked at from top to bottom and I wish somebody would inform us as to where the disconnect is between the coaching staff, the HC, the GM and the scouts.

Are the scouts now settled and have an in-depth book on positions that we need? I would certainly friggin hope so by now.

When our future OC discusses with our HC that he wants a certain type or dimension player, I want said HC to talk to the GM, and within a few days, that type of player is being looked at by somebody, somewhere to be brought on as soon as possible.

I agree with JBR.

I don't know what the problem/roadblock is concerning Danny McNanus, but we can't be waiting by the fax machine when our scouting staff is using the teletgraph system. Get up into the 21st century or get us somebody who is actually ahead of the curve.

That whole department has to be scrutinized thoroughly. That action will determine for me, where Walters' head is at.

To me, Walters is a huge disappointment. He was supposed to be this CIS guru who knew players cold. That is why he was hired as GM. However, our drafting record isn't much better than Mack's.

The US scouting dept was supposed to bring in players as we expanded the dept but other than three or four players they brought in it has been a failure. As far as the quarterback position goes it has been an exceptional failure as McManus brought us Brohm, Portis & Marve. And they sat pat all last season as their evaluations felt they were better than they actually were. When Willy got hurt that blew up our season. It was so bad that we had to trade to get Nicholls.

Wade Miller set this all up hiring Walters. He has to answer for the mess he created. Miller should be just as accountable as much as Walters, McManus & MOS.

so your saying walters is doing his job. how about scouting? which was what you responded to

We are definitely behind the rest of the league in that department but we don't have a GM/PP guy with extensive connections in the US like everyone else does. Our scouts are basically on their own to develop that system which will take more than a year to do if we stick it out.

Goviea was supposed to be the guy with the US connections but so far I haven't seen the pay off. 

so your saying walters is doing his job. how about scouting? which was what you responded to

We are definitely behind the rest of the league in that department but we don't have a GM/PP guy with extensive connections in the US like everyone else does. Our scouts are basically on their own to develop that system which will take more than a year to do if we stick it out.

Goviea was supposed to be the guy with the US connections but so far I haven't seen the pay off. 

I'd really like to know who started that rumor about him because it's total BS unless you consider 2 years with Argos as extensive, lol.

We never hear anything about Goveia. It's like he's invisible. McManus is the face of the scouting dept.

Goveia runs most of the free agent camps.

If that's all he does it's a waste of money. I would hope he's on the road trying to find players as well.
I'd assume he does that too, but he's most visible on the free agent camps.

If I was the scouting dept I'd be all over the lower D1 FCS schools & D2 schools trying to find players. Waiting for the guys at the All Star college games like the Shrine Bowl may take years. There are some great athletes playing at those levels. I'm hoping we'd be all over that.

If I was the scouting dept I'd be all over the lower D1 FCS schools & D2 schools trying to find players. Waiting for the guys at the All Star college games like the Shrine Bowl may take years. There are some great athletes playing at those levels. I'm hoping we'd be all over that.

Isn't that where we found Justin Goltz?

Isn't that where we found Justin Goltz?

It's where the Lions found Jonathan Jennings & Mike Reilly. 

Seems to cast doubt on the narrative from some here that Walters is considerably better than Mack at drafting.  Guess we need to give it another year to see how Goosen and Waggoner develop and if there are any persons from the 2014 and 2015 who will actually make a contribution in 2016.

whats the deal on waggoner anyways? giving up 1st rounder for supplemental seems like they were excited to get him now. is he the new poblah minus the playing time?

I don't understand the criticism of the Waggoner pick. If he's a first round talent, who cares what year we got him. If anything, it gives us extra time to develop him. Henoc only played special teams his first year, just like Waggoner this year. I could definetly see Waggoner taking on a bigger role on defense in 2016.

Our biggest problem isn't linebacker it's the OL. By picking Waggoner in the Supplemental Draft we don't have a chance to get perhaps the second pick in the CFL draft which will probably be an offensive lineman. Walters over estimated the talent on this team thinking we'd be a playoff team. Now we probably lost out on a first round player who could have helped immediately on the OL like Chungh did this season. We lost a possible starter for a backup linebacker. Just puts our OL another year back in development which is why I didn't like the decision. 

I thought at the time on paper we'd be a better team too, but that biatch hindsight just had to come ruin it all! come the next draft well all probably be watching every olineman selected early with a bit of bitterness. although i suppose it could come full circle and one day waggoner pays off but like Iso said our problem isnt linebacker. 

At the beginning of the season, I thought that overall, the team had improved, but as the season draws to a sad close, the inescapable conclusion is that the team is a little better here, a little worse there but in total about the same. That has very little to do with money but mostly to do with the people in charge not doing their jobs well enough.

I thought at the time on paper we'd be a better team too, but that biatch hindsight just had to come ruin it all! come the next draft well all probably be watching every olineman selected early with a bit of bitterness. although i suppose it could come full circle and one day waggoner pays off but like Iso said our problem isnt linebacker.

Yeah, ain't hindsight a beautiful thing?

You cannot, not take a guy you covet, with the thought that your plan will fail in the future. If you like what the guy has to offer, and he's available, go get him, and that's what the Bombers did. A fan should expect no less.

I don't believe there were many who thought we'd be below .500. (starting QB missing many games excluded)

And as far as having to watch who's being selected, you won't have to. There are many here already placing the ribbons in their typewriters for the "should have" posts.

Our biggest problem isn't linebacker it's the OL. By picking Waggoner in the Supplemental Draft we don't have a chance to get perhaps the second pick in the CFL draft which will probably be an offensive lineman. Walters over estimated the talent on this team thinking we'd be a playoff team. Now we probably lost out on a first round player who could have helped immediately on the OL like Chungh did this season. We lost a possible starter for a backup linebacker. Just puts our OL another year back in development which is why I didn't like the decision.

At first overall or 9th overall, odds are solid we get a legit oline prospect as long as we draft the right guy.

Also, Wagoneer has been a monster on the teams from what ive seen, always down field fast and making hits. hes also looked adequate in minimal reps on defense. To say we shoulda done this or that is pointless because we hypothetically could have a ratio breaking player in an uncommon position. Worth a first rounder in my books everytime. Only drawback is there is guarentees. We coulda kept the pick and watching him excell elsewhere while our first overall oliner is off to the NFL or a bust as well..

Cant really make a claim to wasted pick until a few seasons go by.

At first overall or 9th overall, odds are solid we get a legit oline prospect as long as we draft the right guy.

Also, Wagoneer has been a monster on the teams from what ive seen, always down field fast and making hits. hes also looked adequate in minimal reps on defense. To say we shoulda done this or that is pointless because we hypothetically could have a ratio breaking player in an uncommon position. Worth a first rounder in my books everytime. Only drawback is there is guarantees. We coulda kept the pick and watching him excel elsewhere while our first overall oliner is off to the NFL or a bust as well..

Cant really make a claim to wasted pick until a few seasons go by.

Yup those old 3-ton 4WD Jeeps would really barrel downfield.