Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

No kidding. History itself has proven they can run things with far more efficiency. It's why the Cons have the reputation of being better money handlers....because it's time proven.

And yet Harper just left us with huge debt.

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Ummm yeah.  Exactly.  What they got in return was far more unfair to the taxpayers.  it was ridiculous in fact.

I just don't quite understand how you arrive at some of your conclusions. BC teachers are the fourth lowest paid teachers in Canada. If you compare the maximum salary for a teacher with 5 year degree, they make $20 000 less than the highest paid teachers (Alberta).

Their latest contract (2013 - 2019) includes two years of wage freezes. The total salary increase is 7.25%, which averages out to 1.2% annually.  That's a very low rate for a 6 year agreement.  

I don't see how any of that is unreasonable, nor do I understand why other unions would hate them, given that the teachers are paid significantly less than those in other provinces. 

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

3 hours ago, Jacquie said:

And yet Harper just left us with huge debt.

According to the liberals     

Others say there is a $4 billion surplus  

Debt and deficit are not the same thing.

Harper ran 6 deficits contributing $150B to the debt.

Now the impact of that debt compared to GDP growth may be something else.  But for a fiscal conservative, he ran a lot of deficits.

It's quite amusing reading some of this stuff. Conservatives this, Liberals that, NDP can't do anything right, and quite clearly you can interchange any name in that order. Change is what's necessary from Province to Province. When a gov. is in power for too long, things are going to happen. It's inevitable. From my experience no government has proven to have all the answers, and sometimes no answers at all. Some gov. have succeeded more than others though luck and timing, and oh yeah, resources..until those resources are gone..then that gov. is gone. 

Lots of party name calling, some loose facts, and stretching of those facts, but, like I said it's amusing.

Carry on...

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Have to go a long way back to find CON gov't that balanced budget and dont say Harper first years cause he rode the Lib coattail on that one.

and when the Chretien Liberals balanced the budget they rode the coat tails of what Mulroney had put in and didn't have to do it through a sudden global recession either not to mention a big part of that was downloading more costs to provinces. I find people are often times far too narrow in their approach to looking at governments. It takes years to really see their impact and often times they're long out of power before you can really judge them. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

and when the Chretien Liberals balanced the budget they rode the coat tails of what Mulroney had put in and didn't have to do it through a sudden global recession either not to mention a big part of that was downloading more costs to provinces. I find people are often times far too narrow in their approach to looking at governments. It takes years to really see their impact and often times they're long out of power before you can really judge them. 

Well to be fair the Liberals also abolished the GST like they promised.  Oh wait...

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well to be fair the Liberals also abolished the GST like they promised.  Oh wait...

funniest part is watching the kiddies who flocked to the Liberals asking how come they are governing differently than they campaigned. It's like they just have no idea that it was always the Liberal play book. Promise whatever it takes to get elected then just govern however they want. They are called Fiberals for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

What Mulroney left Chrétien was massive debt. When Trudeau left office the debt was $157B. Mulroney left us $488B in debt.

To be fair, much of Mulroney's debt was due to Trudeau (interest payments on his debt, structural deficits that he created) and PET increased our debt by 738% from where it was when he took office. Mulroney only increased it by 68%.

On April 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

17 years of NDP rule has already ensured that future generations will be paying.

On April 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM, gcn11 said:

No kidding. History itself has proven they can run things with far more efficiency. It's why the Cons have the reputation of being better money handlers....because it's time proven.

Not disputing the provincial debt was increased by the NDP but why conservatives continue to believe that they are better money managers is rather ridiculous. On the Manitoba provincial level Filmon's government did alright but they also took too much from the system, decreased the income of government, and contributed to the huge infrastructure deficit (which every federal government for decades has also added to). At the federal level the only government that ran balanced budgets and made money was the Chrétien Liberals. Again though they drew too much out of the system and basically ensured that no following governments would be able to put back into health and infrastructure what was taken away. 

Cuts can always be made but governments need to be very careful when it come to health, environment, and infrastructure. Those three will ALWAYS need significant inputs because we always need them. Our lives, physically and financially, depend on them. The tendency of cservatives to cut cultural and other social programs or sports hurts on the financial returns as well. We all look for entertainment and providing some finances to these areas can grow the wealth (financial and cultural) can grow the desirability to live here. 

I work for a civic government and I have learned a whole new respect for those that work within one and a whole new perspective on just how our leaders let us down. While you and other right leaning folks may think that I am left leaning I certainly am not I am firmly rooted in the centre. Committing to right or left costs the public way too much money. It blinds people to the aspects of both sides that can help everyone or cloud the path to finding a solution.

I also despise that, left or right, no elected government looks beyond four years. The quest for power NDP staying there supersedes doing anything that might work for the group in power. They stack senates with their cronies, they make laws that serve their purpose and not the public. And so forth...

Anyway, enough of my soap boxing. I hope that your buddy Pallister lives up to his own hype but paint me extremely skeptical. People here know him well and he is not very well liked even by many staunch conservatives. That happens when you screw even your own kind over to get further.

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

funniest part is watching the kiddies who flocked to the Liberals asking how come they are governing differently than they campaigned. It's like they just have no idea that it was always the Liberal play book. Promise whatever it takes to get elected then just govern however they want. They are called Fiberals for a reason. 

And the Cons don't do the same? You really want to play that card? Both Liberals and Conservatives promise more they can deliver. That is politics. Especially when a party has not had a chance to look at the actual books it is really not logical to be promising anything. 

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

He also took 20 billion out of Canada Health and Social Transfer.

And Filmon had to sell of assets to make his money. This is what any government will do to make money. We all say we don't like government but we still expect them to provide many things for us whether we are rich or poor. This means they have to do all sorts of things that are counterproductive.

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

To be fair, much of Mulroney's debt was due to Trudeau (interest payments on his debt, structural deficits that he created) and PET increased our debt by 738% from where it was when he took office. Mulroney only increased it by 68%.

He still increased it. As did Harper. Both had plenty of time to do something about it and they failed that is on their heads not the Liberals.