Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

12 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Even worse than the length each were in power was how much of it was spent with virtually no opposition. 

When I lived in Calgary back in the 1980s there was a candidate who died a little before the campaign started and he still won. After one election the PCs had to appoint members of their own caucus to act as the opposition. It was beyond stupid.

A hamster could have run for the Tories & won back in the Lougheed & Klein era. Forty four year dynasties are not good for democracy.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

They didn't really "give up" salary increases, they were demanding salary increases that even the NDP couldn't stomach (which shows how over the top gross they were) and so the NDP, trying to please their union masters while also trying to spin it as a win to the general public, thought the public wouldn't understand just how crazy it was for an employer to give up control over hiring to a union, and gave in on that concession, rather than give the BCTF giant raises.  The BCTF of course jumped on the offer, because they were essentially given a license to hire, with a bottomless pit as a budget.  What union wouldn't take that deal?

The BCTF is universally hated in BC by both the public and other unions as they always ask for/demand way more money in raises than everyone else.  CUPE was mad at them last year because they had to close down when the BCTF went on strike, and it made them look bad too.  Of all of the recent union negotiations, the BCTF was the only union that actually went on strike.  Even the nurses just settled a few weeks ago.  

Ummm no. They got those clauses because they took wage freezes. The highest paid teachers in Canada are actually in Alberta. Funny thing, it was all negotiated with a PC government in power 

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

On the how many civil servants question, how many managers do you have and what is the ratio to frontline workers? If it is as one poster stated, that is too high and you make cuts there.

You look at things like usage. For example, the new birthing centre is beautiful but underused. Poor allocation of dollars.

Interestingly, my sister's Nurse Practitioner was pressuring her to use the birthing centre and a mid wife.  When she was uncomfortable with that, my mom began asking questions and the nurse actually continued the pressure right in front of her, telling my sister it was HER decision and not to be influenced by my mom.  This was a first birth with some potential for complications.  Fortunately my mom insisted she see a different doctor who when asked about a mid wife said absolutely not.  So I wonder, was this just a hippy dippy Nurse or a directive from above to push to the birthing centre?

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interestingly, my sister's Nurse Practitioner was pressuring her to use the birthing centre and a mid wife.  When she was uncomfortable with that, my mom began asking questions and the nurse actually continued the pressure right in front of her, telling my sister it was HER decision and not to be influenced by my mom.  This was a first birth with some potential for complications.  Fortunately my mom insisted she see a different doctor who when asked about a mid wife said absolutely not.  So I wonder, was this just a hippy dippy Nurse or a directive from above to push to the birthing centre?

Pushed from above definitely... When we were dealing with our first child... The younger nurses pushed outlandish ridiculous ****. The older nurses outright told us to ignore what we heard from the young ones and to use common sense. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Pushed from above definitely... When we were dealing with our first child... The younger nurses pushed outlandish ridiculous ****. The older nurses outright told us to ignore what we heard from the young ones and to use common sense. 

It's a difference of opinion, some people want to treat birth as a celebration of life rather than the near death experience it is for 3 individuals of one family.  Celebrating birth is like throwing confetti at the scene of a horrific car crash.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Lol. Anyone that thinks that the PCs are going to be any more efficient is deluding themselves. 

Can cuts be made? Sure. But whether you are left or right there is always expectation that government do more than they are capable of doing. History has shown that both the conservatives and NDP spend way beyond their means or cut so deeply that when they have to put money back in they haven't got enough. 

I don't expect the PCs to be able to make any inroads on any of their promises on the financial side of things. They will be spending money on other things. 

It is also unlikely you are going to see more frontline workers or relief for those that are overworked and under paid. That isn't how it ever works.if they are going to take out or merge you lose a few managers but mostly it is frontline people. 

What I expect is a merger and closure of any social and arts related department. Slashing of infrastructure, that is a go to for cuts when government cuts, rural health, transportation and all sorts of environmental projects (some of which will tie in with infrastructure). All of these will ensure future generations will be paying for our decisions.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Duffy gets off on all charges. The Old Boys Club taking care of their own. Wouldn't be surprised if the judge Lamorieux is a Liberal & was coerced by the Party into getting the guy off to make Harper & the Conservatives look really bad.

The prosecution did a terrible job and you didn't need a liberal or judge to see the PMO handled the situation badly. I dislike Duffy but it was clear to me that him and others were bullied and thrown under the bus. The problems in the senate is the result of liberals and conservatives abusing this level of government for decades.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Duffy gets off on all charges. The Old Boys Club taking care of their own. Wouldn't be surprised if the judge Lamorieux is a Liberal & was coerced by the Party into getting the guy off to make Harper & the Conservatives look really bad.

The judge was appointed to the bench in 1990 when Bob Rae was premier. 

In this case, Harper and the PCs didn't need anyone to make them look bad. They did that all by themselves.

16 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

The judge was appointed to the bench in 1990 when Bob Rae was premier. 

In this case, Harper and the PCs didn't need anyone to make them look bad. They did that all by themselves.

NDP Premier. Yep,  this decision is so political. It was all about politics to make the Conservatives look bad. I'm convinced of that. When it comes to $**t like this I have no  faith in our justice system. Some of those expenses that fat Porkey  Pig claimed were criminal. The whole bloody Senate are entitled crooks. The damned thing should be abolished & replaced by elected Senators. Or eliminated totally.

7 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

NDP Premier. Yep,  this decision is so political. It was all about politics to make the Conservatives look bad. I'm convinced of that. When it comes to $**t like this I have no  faith in our justice system. Some of those expenses that fat Porkey  Pig claimed were criminal. The whole bloody Senate are entitled crooks. The damned thing should be abolished & replaced by elected Senators. Or eliminated totally.

If it was about making the PCs look bad then Duffy would have been convicted especially since the federal NDP have traditionally been anti-Senate.

Edited by Jacquie

53 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

You read a headline and now you're just ranting.  Review the Judge's explanation of why he dismissed the charges, it's 300 pages long.  The prosecution failed to provide enough solid evidence of wrong-doing to convict, that's the way the judicial system is supposed to work. 

The Senate expense rules were either extremely vague or non-existent and the dismissal of the bribery charge made the PMO look much worse than Duffy.  How the "taker" can be accused of bribery and not the "giver" is beyond me.

if anything good comes out of this multi-million dollar fiasco, it's that the government can now ensure that the Senate define residency requirements and expense claims precisely. 

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You read a headline and now you're just ranting.  Review the Judge's explanation of why he dismissed the charges, it's 300 pages long.  The prosecution failed to provide enough solid evidence of wrong-doing to convict, that's the way the judicial system is supposed to work. 

The Senate expense rules were either extremely vague or non-existent and the dismissal of the bribery charge made the PMO look much worse than Duffy.  How the "taker" can be accused of bribery and not the "giver" is beyond me.

if anything good comes out of this multi-million dollar fiasco, it's that the government can now ensure that the Senate define residency requirements and expense claims precisely. 

Yes, I ranted. Damn right I ranted. Duffy is an appointed Senator who is self entitled. He just thinks the Canadian taxpaying public is his own private bank. Now he gets to go back & do the same thing all over again. #oinkoinkdrinkingfromthepublictrough.

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

If it was about making the PCs look bad then Duffy would have been convicted especially since the federal NDP have traditionally been anti-Senate.

Not convicting & making it look like a witch hunt is just as damaging, don't you think as it's all about embarrassing the Conservative PMO & Stephen Harper. Throwing Duffy in jail would have meant that Harper was indeed looking after taxpayers so a greedy politician like Duffy would have been an example. To me, throwing out all charges makes Harper look a lot worse.

Edited by iso_55

13 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Lol. Anyone that thinks that the PCs are going to be any more efficient is deluding themselves. 

Can cuts be made? Sure. But whether you are left or right there is always expectation that government do more than they are capable of doing. History has shown that both the conservatives and NDP spend way beyond their means or cut so deeply that when they have to put money back in they haven't got enough. 

I don't expect the PCs to be able to make any inroads on any of their promises on the financial side of things. They will be spending money on other things. 

It is also unlikely you are going to see more frontline workers or relief for those that are overworked and under paid. That isn't how it ever works.if they are going to take out or merge you lose a few managers but mostly it is frontline people. 

What I expect is a merger and closure of any social and arts related department. Slashing of infrastructure, that is a go to for cuts when government cuts, rural health, transportation and all sorts of environmental projects (some of which will tie in with infrastructure). All of these will ensure future generations will be paying for our decisions.

This is page 3 of the speech Selinger tried to sell to Manitoba a couple weeks ago. Did you write it or are you just quoting it? Manitobans didn't fall for the boogeyman Tory propaganda then, and they won't now. Literally nothing of what you have said could be further from the truth imo.

22 hours ago, Jacquie said:

In the past I have worked in both the private and public (federal & provincial) sectors. FYI - there is virtually no difference between the two sectors. Every workplace has its Wallys (Dilbert reference) but most are made up of hard working people.

And VPs and political appointments are not civil servants.

Correct. Civil servants are very hard working people, that contrary to popular belief, for the most part get paid below the average industry standard for their area of expertise. The biggest difference between the civil service and private sector is not work ethic, it is the amount of hurdles each must overcome to see similar results.

The Cons need to clear out the bloated bureaucracy and the civil service will produce results that Manitobans will be far happier with. It's just paper pushing up and down right now in our civil service and that creates huge inefficiency.

14 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I agree. Nothing could have damaged the Tory brand more than a conviction on all charges of a former high ranking member of their party. A complete exoneration only makes this all look more like it was politically motivated.