Blue Bombers extend contract of Jake Thomas

TrueBlue

WINNIPEG, MB., October 22, 2015 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has extended the contract of National defensive lineman Jake Thomas. Thomas is in his fourth season with Winnipeg, after being drafted in the fourth round, 29th overall, in the 2012 CFL Draft.

Thomas has played 64 games with the Bombers, starting 19. He’s racked up 39 tackles, three special teams tackles, six sacks, and one fumble recovery.

“Jake Thomas has been a solid contributor to this organization, both on and off the field, since he was first drafted,” said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “He is a versatile player who is willing to do whatever is needed to be successful. Jake’s a team first, selfless individual, and a great asset to this franchise.”

Would likely be overexposed in much bigger of a role than he is in right now, but he'll make a great backup to Bilukidi next year. Glad to see him extended.

Sad but true.. Hes a great role player and outstanding against the run but full time duty might make him less of an asset and more of a liability. Extending him is a good move as he is valuable as a backup and in specific packages. If we get bilukidi next season, this is even more of a smart move..

can't believe the undercurrent of negativity about Jake in this thread...

It's not negativity, it's reality. Some guys are meant to be roleplayers and when you find GOOD roleplayers, they're very valuable. Jake Thomas is a GOOD roleplayer, but he shouldn't be starting on a team aspiring to win championships.

I cant believe some people overvaluing thomas. Hes a great depth guy and an awesome run stopper and backup but lets slow the hype train.. He would be exposed in a full time gig a la Mckinnley those years ago.. Then we would have people calling for his head and walters for using him so incorrectly lol

Love the kid, love his motor and he really seems to bled blue and gold. Need guys like him no doubt but you cant just assume he will be better at that next level when he has never shown an inkling of being able to shoulder the load..

If I recall correctly, when he has been forced into heavy minutes, it has shown.

I really like Jake Thomas and I agree with tracker... I'd like to see him used more... I would be awesome if we could get ourselves a solid Cdn DT to split reps with him (not necessarily a 50-50 split)...

Shucks. I think you're awesome no matter what.  ;)