Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

It's been mentioned many many times on this site that the team makes most of its money from the festival events which are sold out or very close to. The game is just a bonus. They are set to make a VERY large amount of money from hosting this year when it's all said and done.

Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

It was 1000 tickets and it would have been a taxable write off for Nissan since the tickets were donated.

Nice that you spin this story in a negative way, when there are now 1000 students (lots from lower income families) that will now get the chance of a lifetime to see the championship game live with their teammates.  This wouldn't have been possible without Nissan's generosity.

I didn't "spin" anything. It's what I heard. I was asking if anyone knew if the story told to me was true, that's all. 

That's the way your post came across to me.  

Yeah, well you work for the Bombers & it appears that you are extra sensitive. If you're going to be this way maybe you shouldn't be a mod here as it is a conflict of interest. Just a member. I was just asking a question, nothing else. 

If the total profits from this year's Grey Cup is only $5 million or so which is half of Regina's profit two years ago, that would have to be considered a disappointment.

If the Bombers were playing in the Grey Cup in Winnipeg, the profits and attendance to all functions would be better.  The Riders cashed in on that in 2013.  Put BC and Hamilton in that game, and the atmosphere the whole week would have been drastically different.

If the total profits from this year's Grey Cup is only $5 million or so which is half of Regina's profit two years ago, that would have to be considered a disappointment.

If the Bombers were playing in the Grey Cup in Winnipeg, the profits and attendance to all functions would be better.  The Riders cashed in on that in 2013.  Put BC and Hamilton in that game, and the atmosphere the whole week would have been drastically different.

At this point, that's not really possible, as most events are completely sold out....

Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

It was 1000 tickets and it would have been a taxable write off for Nissan since the tickets were donated.

Nice that you spin this story in a negative way, when there are now 1000 students (lots from lower income families) that will now get the chance of a lifetime to see the championship game live with their teammates.  This wouldn't have been possible without Nissan's generosity.

I didn't "spin" anything. It's what I heard. I was asking if anyone knew if the story told to me was true, that's all.

Yeah, well you work for the Bombers & it appears that you are extra sensitive. If you're going to be this way maybe you shouldn't be a mod here as it is a conflict of interest. Just a member. I was just asking a question, nothing else.

Uh iso, it wasnt just true that felt you were using the nissan thing as a negative. As in, they didnt sell em so they are blowing em out! " type angle.

Well, didn't regina have like 50,000 people? IGF is set up for what? 36? 38000? 

That's a pretty big difference. A 5 million profit off the grey cup game is pretty good, they will make money off the other events too. 

5 Mil is 5 Mil. Not chump change. I do remember reading David Braley's teams reporting earning in the neighbourhood of 10 Mil per game. Kinda disappointing when you look at how he subsequently handled the teams. But 5 Mil is good. Should pay off some debts.

Uh iso, it wasnt just true that felt you were using the nissan thing as a negative. As in, they didnt sell em so they are blowing em out! " type angle.

I asked a frigging question. I didn't insinuate or spin anything. Otherwise, don't go looking for something that ain't.

Well, didn't regina have like 50,000 people? IGF is set up for what? 36? 38000? 

That's a pretty big difference. A 5 million profit off the grey cup game is pretty good, they will make money off the other events too. 

5 Mil is 5 Mil. Not chump change. I do remember reading David Braley's teams reporting earning in the neighbourhood of 10 Mil per game. Kinda disappointing when you look at how he subsequently handled the teams. But 5 Mil is good. Should pay off some debts.

Oh yeah im sure the Bombers will make money this year...rotflmao

To me, discounted football tickets to the Grey Cup is a slap in the face to people who paid a lot of money in good faith beforehand to buy their seats. As much as I'd like to think it was a goodwill gesture by Nissan, if this GC had sold out early the football players would have had to pay full price to go like everybody else. Nissan has done a wonderful job helping high schools in this country get their football teams back but they did this to help the Bombers & the CFL paper the stadium to get every seat sold. Some like True Blue will say this is a great geature by Nissan allowing a thousand football players to experience the Grey Cup. Others will say, wait a minute, I paid full price, this isn't fair as I trusted the Bombers & now people are getting in with huge discounts, even free? I guess your POV depends upon if you paid for your seat or got in free at a lower price or for free. 

in hindsight the prices really are crazy... I paid $199 for my P8 (or whatever the lowest P is) seat and that was with the $100 STH discount... 

In hindsight a seat similar to yours in BC last year would have been $225, or $249 in Regina the year before, or $250 in Toronto in 2012.  

Prices are comparable to what they have been in recent Grey Cup games for most sections. 

Prices are actually more expensive for  this year's Grey Cup when you look at comparable seats in Vancouver last year.

----------------------- Vancouver-----------Winnipeg

lower bowl                 $315                       $399

w/dsct betw. 30s

lower bowl

wo/dsct betw 30s       $350                       $499

lower bowl w/dsct.      $315                      $299

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal 

line to goal line

lower bowl wo/dsct     $350                       $399

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal line

to goal line

lower bowl corners     $225                       $249

w/dsct.

lower bowl corners     $250                       $350

wo/dsct.

upper deck corners    $225                       $200

w/dsct

upper deck corners    $250                       $300

wo/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $135                       $199

w/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $150                       $299

wo/dsct

end zone upper deck  $135                       $175

w/dsct.

end zone upper deck  $150                       $175

wo/dsct.

THe bolded are the more expensive price points so as you can see in almost every case other than two, comparable seats are more expensive than last year's Grey Cup.  IN several instances, it's quite noticeable especially when we are looking at non-discounted tickets.

Vancouver had nearly ten thousand or so seats available in the month leading up to the game and had to give away thousands to military and volunteers and charities.  They also had to discount thousands to business and individuals.  Wade and the Grey Cup committee should have paid attention to this.  Instead, they decided to charge a higher average price - so high in fact that they had to resort to cutting capacity by 3000 or so to have the lowest Grey Cup capacity in 40 years.

Not only that, I have heard they were giving businesses (not sure if it was specific sponsors or something beyond that) $100 discounts on tickets given the slow sales.  I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

So factor in who knows how many giveaways have been offered to military, charities and volunteers and this will be a rather hollow sellout.  If Grey Cup organizing committee had paid attention to recent history and offered an extra price point and some better discounted and non-discounted prices - not to mention get rid of the stupid 3-year commitment to get said discount - then they wouldn't have had to reduce capacity and resort to huge discounts and giveaways.

A sellout will be a hollow victory.

Touching on some of your points because I feel that that you share information without knowing all the facts.

1.  NOT factoring in the temp seating, the average price is about $270/ticket for this year's game and was about $238/ticket in BC last year.Source? So if you do add in that the $175 tickets would drop that $270.  So it is a little more.  You concede there are only two price points that are lower for this year's game, but they are the most important ones: the seats between the goal lines, which are mostly season ticket holders.  Most of the seats between the goal lines in the upper deck did not sell for the reduced price of $299 though for this year's game.  I saw the number of blue seats available on ticketmaster back in May and June and over half the seats were still unsold.  Therefore most were to be sold for $399 - an increase of $50 over comparable seats at BC Place last year.  Same thing with the upper deck corners - most of those remained unsold when the season began so it's safe to assume that almost all those seats were sold (or at least attemped to sell) at the non-discounted price of $300 - more expensive than the non-discounted prices for the upper deck corners are BC Place.

2.  Again cutting the capacity of the stadium for the game had nothing to do with the sales.  The temp seating has been the hottest sellers and even if it wasn't going to be a sellout, another 3000 in the north end zone, if it was viable would have made more sense from a business standpoint.  When the sales of 24,000 were announced to the general public back in August over half the seats in the temporary end zones were still available on ticketmaster.  Since ticketmaster often holds back seats for a variety of reasons (corporate sponsors, other teams, travel packages), safe to say there was even more available than what appeared on the site.  They reduced capacity because of the poor demand exacerbated by high prices.  Nice try though on the hottest seller bit though.

3.  Discounts offered to corporate sponsors, most of whom have multiple season tickets, would be given the $100 discount just like regular season ticket holders.  Others may have had it written into their contract if they signed on just this year as well.  A discount to Nissan this late in the game?  For 1000 tickets?  Somehow I doubt that would have happened if the Bomber organization had priced the tickets correctly.  Those tickets would have been sold out long ago.  

4.  And the people you know who were upgraded, were done so because either they had purchased in the non-existent north end zone temp seating, or had purchased in the south, but had to be moved after the actual seating was constructed and the seating was reconfigured.  These fans were all informed by email, but obviously some would have been surprised by this if they had never read the message.  Will have to get back to you on this individual who received the free upgrade.  I don't believe he received the discount offer by email.

Your opinion is that will be a hollow victory and that is your opinion.  The fact is though is that we will have a sold out stadium at a higher than last year's price point, in addition to the premium sections (loges and suites) all being sold to max capacity.  Whether it happened now or two months ago is really not that important.  What's important is that the game will be sold out, and the football club will make a nice profit, and that is a hard earned victory for everyone involved.  Perception is everything.  If the league is concerned about Winnipeg's ability to sell out the game at such a late time compared with the most recent hosts it could compromise the city's ability to host the event in 7-9 years.  Instead, we might end up waiting an additional 5 years or longer due to the concern of poor ticket sales for this year's event.  Winnipeg doesn't have the advantage of a domed stadium, mild winter weather or an abundance of hotel rooms to overlook this factor.  

Your idea of a nice profit is what exactly?  If it's $5 million that to me is disappointing.  That would be half of the previous 2 Grey Cups in BC and Sasky.  Anything less than a $7 million profit would be a letdown.  We need to remember that despite the club's $3.9 million operating profit last season they were still $600,000 short on their annual $4.5 million stadium repayment plan.  An extremely successful Grey Cup with a profit of $7 - $10 million would help bridge the gap each season until the club next hosts the Grey Cup.  A less successful Grey Cup (some would say a failure) with a profit of $3 - $5 million increases the likelihood that the Bombers will have to reach into their meagre cash reserves at some point prior to the next Grey Cup hosting year.  

See bolded.

Just being around in Regina most of that profit came from the festival there each day it was packed. I bet they had 20000 to 30000 people in town just to be there for the parties. I believe Regina was also around 42,000 people.

It's been mentioned many many times on this site that the team makes most of its money from the festival events which are sold out or very close to. The game is just a bonus. They are set to make a VERY large amount of money from hosting this year when it's all said and done.

Where on earth did this idea come from that most of the profits from Grey Cup week are derived from all the festivities, galas and concerts beyond the game itself?  Got any proof to back that up?

Going by TrueBlue's estimate of $270 per ticket for this year's Grey Cup that would mean:

$270 * 36,000 = $9.72 million in revenue from gate receipts alone

Let's say the typical person at the game spends $25 on concessions - a conservative amount.

$25 * 36,000 = $900,000

Let's also say the average person at the game spends $25 for merchandise - again, a conservative amount

$25 * 36,000 = $900,000

I'm assuming all the parking spots will be spoken for - 5000 spots?

$20 * 5000 = $100,000

I haven't even included all the revenues tied to advertisements at the stadium for this specific event.  Not including that, we have a total of $11.62 million in revenues from the Grey Cup game itself.  Minus the $5 million bid and that would mean..

$6.62 million in profits from the game itself not including advertising.  Even if you factor in daily operating costs for the stadium, employees, security and transit, I doubt profits drop that much below $6 million if at all.

The game day revenue determines the majority of the profit.

Not extra sensitive at all.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  It's when people want to corroborate on something they've heard that defames the club when they don't know the true facts, that I feel the need to correct it.  I would do this in any case, whether I worked for the team or not. 

In having said that, if you don't want me to be a mod here, then voice your feelings to the admins here and they can address it.  I've never used my powers here for evil, or have ever deleted or moderated any comments that would be to the football clubs interest.  That's not my prerogative at all.

Finally, I'll retract my previous statement and give you the benefit of the doubt with your initial inquiry, my apologies for taking it out of context.

in hindsight the prices really are crazy... I paid $199 for my P8 (or whatever the lowest P is) seat and that was with the $100 STH discount... 

In hindsight a seat similar to yours in BC last year would have been $225, or $249 in Regina the year before, or $250 in Toronto in 2012.  

Prices are comparable to what they have been in recent Grey Cup games for most sections. 

Prices are actually more expensive for  this year's Grey Cup when you look at comparable seats in Vancouver last year.

----------------------- Vancouver-----------Winnipeg

lower bowl                 $315                       $399

w/dsct betw. 30s

lower bowl

wo/dsct betw 30s       $350                       $499

lower bowl w/dsct.      $315                      $299

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal 

line to goal line

lower bowl wo/dsct     $350                       $399

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal line

to goal line

lower bowl corners     $225                       $249

w/dsct.

lower bowl corners     $250                       $350

wo/dsct.

upper deck corners    $225                       $200

w/dsct

upper deck corners    $250                       $300

wo/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $135                       $199

w/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $150                       $299

wo/dsct

end zone upper deck  $135                       $175

w/dsct.

end zone upper deck  $150                       $175

wo/dsct.

THe bolded are the more expensive price points so as you can see in almost every case other than two, comparable seats are more expensive than last year's Grey Cup.  IN several instances, it's quite noticeable especially when we are looking at non-discounted tickets.

Vancouver had nearly ten thousand or so seats available in the month leading up to the game and had to give away thousands to military and volunteers and charities.  They also had to discount thousands to business and individuals.  Wade and the Grey Cup committee should have paid attention to this.  Instead, they decided to charge a higher average price - so high in fact that they had to resort to cutting capacity by 3000 or so to have the lowest Grey Cup capacity in 40 years.

Not only that, I have heard they were giving businesses (not sure if it was specific sponsors or something beyond that) $100 discounts on tickets given the slow sales.  I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

So factor in who knows how many giveaways have been offered to military, charities and volunteers and this will be a rather hollow sellout.  If Grey Cup organizing committee had paid attention to recent history and offered an extra price point and some better discounted and non-discounted prices - not to mention get rid of the stupid 3-year commitment to get said discount - then they wouldn't have had to reduce capacity and resort to huge discounts and giveaways.

A sellout will be a hollow victory.

Touching on some of your points because I feel that that you share information without knowing all the facts.

1.  NOT factoring in the temp seating, the average price is about $270/ticket for this year's game and was about $238/ticket in BC last year.Source? So if you do add in that the $175 tickets would drop that $270.  So it is a little more.  You concede there are only two price points that are lower for this year's game, but they are the most important ones: the seats between the goal lines, which are mostly season ticket holders.  Most of the seats between the goal lines in the upper deck did not sell for the reduced price of $299 though for this year's game.  I saw the number of blue seats available on ticketmaster back in May and June and over half the seats were still unsold.  Therefore most were to be sold for $399 - an increase of $50 over comparable seats at BC Place last year.  Same thing with the upper deck corners - most of those remained unsold when the season began so it's safe to assume that almost all those seats were sold (or at least attemped to sell) at the non-discounted price of $300 - more expensive than the non-discounted prices for the upper deck corners are BC Place.

My source is doing math.  I've taken the time to do this kind of research before and I am a numbers guy.  I know the sections and number of seats in BC Place and likewise for IGF.  Not that I counted each seat in each section, but I did take a rounded approach based on sections of the same size.  That's why I said "about".  

What's your source for saying that "Most of the seats between the goal lines in the upper deck did not sell for the reduced price of $299 though for this year's game."  You say you saw available seats there in May/June, which is true, but to say that most of those seats since then were bought for $399 by non-season ticket holders wouldn't be true. 

2.  Again cutting the capacity of the stadium for the game had nothing to do with the sales.  The temp seating has been the hottest sellers and even if it wasn't going to be a sellout, another 3000 in the north end zone, if it was viable would have made more sense from a business standpoint.  When the sales of 24,000 were announced to the general public back in August over half the seats in the temporary end zones were still available on ticketmaster.  Since ticketmaster often holds back seats for a variety of reasons (corporate sponsors, other teams, travel packages), safe to say there was even more available than what appeared on the site.  They reduced capacity because of the poor demand exacerbated by high prices.  Nice try though on the hottest seller bit though.

Can't seem to convince you of otherwise here on this, since you've formulated your opinion and refuse to budge based on theories that were propagated and that's fine  None of the corporate sponsors or teams will be sitting up there based on tickets that were held back.  

3.  Discounts offered to corporate sponsors, most of whom have multiple season tickets, would be given the $100 discount just like regular season ticket holders.  Others may have had it written into their contract if they signed on just this year as well.  A discount to Nissan this late in the game?  For 1000 tickets?  Somehow I doubt that would have happened if the Bomber organization had priced the tickets correctly.  Those tickets would have been sold out long ago.  

I think you answered your own question there.  Obviously if the game had been sold out long ago, there wouldn't have been 1000 tickets to sell to Nissan to be given away. 

4.  And the people you know who were upgraded, were done so because either they had purchased in the non-existent north end zone temp seating, or had purchased in the south, but had to be moved after the actual seating was constructed and the seating was reconfigured.  These fans were all informed by email, but obviously some would have been surprised by this if they had never read the message.  Will have to get back to you on this individual who received the free upgrade.  I don't believe he received the discount offer by email.

The email would have been informing him his original temp seating seats were removed, and thus was receiving a different seat in a 100 level section for no extra charge.  I would imagine this does happen at other events as well when seating is put in place only to find out equipment and/or other obstructions may have to supersede some seats.  If that does happen I would always hope the organizers would provide better or equivalent seating somewhere else for nothing extra.

Your opinion is that will be a hollow victory and that is your opinion.  The fact is though is that we will have a sold out stadium at a higher than last year's price point, in addition to the premium sections (loges and suites) all being sold to max capacity.  Whether it happened now or two months ago is really not that important.  What's important is that the game will be sold out, and the football club will make a nice profit, and that is a hard earned victory for everyone involved.  Perception is everything.  If the league is concerned about Winnipeg's ability to sell out the game at such a late time compared with the most recent hosts it could compromise the city's ability to host the event in 7-9 years.  Instead, we might end up waiting an additional 5 years or longer due to the concern of poor ticket sales for this year's event.  Winnipeg doesn't have the advantage of a domed stadium, mild winter weather or an abundance of hotel rooms to overlook this factor.  

Can't argue with you here.  I for one am surprised that we didn't sell out weeks, if not months ago, and I do have a feeling this may reflect on when we do get the Grey Cup again.  On the other hand, I know of a few situations that have occurred over the past several months that may contradict that thought.

Your idea of a nice profit is what exactly?  If it's $5 million that to me is disappointing.  That would be half of the previous 2 Grey Cups in BC and Sasky.  Anything less than a $7 million profit would be a letdown.  We need to remember that despite the club's $3.9 million operating profit last season they were still $600,000 short on their annual $4.5 million stadium repayment plan.  An extremely successful Grey Cup with a profit of $7 - $10 million would help bridge the gap each season until the club next hosts the Grey Cup.  A less successful Grey Cup (some would say a failure) with a profit of $3 - $5 million increases the likelihood that the Bombers will have to reach into their meagre cash reserves at some point prior to the next Grey Cup hosting year.  

I'd like to say $10+ mil, as I obviously want the clout of saying we did better than Regina.  Yes our stadium will have about 8,000 less fans, but I would guess we have more premium seating than they do at Mosaic so maybe that offsets it a bit.  We'll see.

See bolded.

See LARGER italicized. 

Look guys, I am clearly making more enemies here than not because it's evident in this thread that people think there has been mismanagement with tickets sales and pricing/discounts.  A lot of things factored into why the prices are what they are, and the people have spoken, and have shown their discontent by not purchasing their tickets.  I wish I could make right for everyone here who has been wronged by this and those who regret buying their tickets or signing a three-year commitment.  

A lot has been learned over the course of the season and many things will be discussed at future meetings over the off-season.  It could be a long time before we host another Grey Cup, or it may not.  I just hope that people remember this next week for the national event that this is and make the most of it.  This is the first Grey Cup at our (nearly) new, logistically challenged stadium, and being run by a new team of people.  I hope to be here for the next one, and I'll fight Jesus himself to make sure the same mistakes don't happen again. 

None of this will convince anyone, nor should it.  We've lost the respect of many for various reasons and have to earn it back one by one however long that takes. No one will forget that.  

I'm going to leave things at that here because this week will be very busy and quite frankly this thread has run it's course for me.  The game will be a sellout and that is all that matters to me.

You called IGF "logistically challenged". How can a new football stadium that is the permanent home of the Blue Bombers with a capacity of 33,500, also designed to hold huge events like concerts & the Grey Cup be logistically challenged? Did no one in charge from the Bomber organization look at the architectural & engineering plans & say, "Wait a minute. This won't work" I find what you said very disappointing. 

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people flooding Kijiji who do not want to attend the Grey Cup without the Bombers in it.  There was a 99.9% chance in March that we'd be where we are today.

I have a lot of sympathy for the people who were sold a bill of goods by the Blue Bombers, committing to 3 seasons while getting to watch Grey Cup tickets sold for the same or less all around them without that commitment.  You just can't do that to people, the people who are really the builders of this organization.  It is lucky for the Football Club that these people would not do anything that could possibly hurt the Football Club financially, because if they were dealing with a private business most would likely vote with their wallets, maybe even look into a class action to get out of the ridiculous one-sided commitment foisted on them in supposed good faith.  The fact that screwing over long-time customers is worth less than a couple thousand empty seats speaks volumes.

The club screwed up on pricing the game and on screwing season ticket holders on the discount. Wade is doing a poor job and is pissing off a lot of core fans.

I guess someone was going to say this. Surely many of us are thinking it. Even people that work for the club seem annoyed. The thing about the hundreds of tickets being sold on Kijiji at a huge discount by disgruntled fans is a little disconcerting also.

It sure feels like we are cursed and just can't do anything right whether it's our performance on the field or in the boardroom. 

We just stay the course... Keep the same people in charge. Even if they screw up or not. Other teams have had a Grey Cup Committee chaired by someone not employed by the host team but was a business leader in the community. The committee worked closely with but were not affiliated with the host team. These Committees handled the GC arrangements & everything else assocciated with the Grey Cup. The Chair was full time. Often, these committees were in business for 2 years prior to their own Grey Cup. Why coudn't we have had that? Instead it was left up to Wade Miller to screw up.

Meanwhile in Regina, Calgary Sun Stamps beat reporter has tweeted the Riders have asked permission to interview Stamps Asst GM John Murphy & that Huff has said okay.