Who should we bring in to replace our OC

SPuDS

Who replaces Bellefeuille  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If you had your choice who do you pick?

• Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Let Howell and Pierce coach by commitee
    • Other -specify in post
    • Stay status quo
    • Wait until off-season and throw money at -also post in thread

the fact that [Khari] hasn't come back after this long makes me really wonder if he's got a sour taste about Winnipeg, as a city, and the club, specifically....

I very much doubt that.

When Khari retired as a player he got a job as a sideline commentator for the CBC. I remember the first game he worked in Winnipeg. There was a break in play and some talking heads on the screen with the Cannad Inns field in the background.

For no apparent reason a bunch of applause and cheering started up. It turned out that it was for Khari who was on the sideline just south of the visitor's bench. They asked him about it later and he, visibly choked up, said "I didn't know what to expect coming back here because I didn't leave under the best of circumstances but I was getting lots of 'Welcome back' and 'Good luck on your new job' comments. These Winnipeg fans are great."

I think he'd come back here, provided that the circus that's been in town for so long has finally left.

IMO, at the end of this season we have to re-evaluate our OC position. The guys we should be thinking about are Khari, Jarious Jackson and Jason Maas. We might have to throw in an "Assistant Head Coach" title but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

the fact that [Khari] hasn't come back after this long makes me really wonder if he's got a sour taste about Winnipeg, as a city, and the club, specifically....

I very much doubt that.

When Khari retired as a player he got a job as a sideline commentator for the CBC. I remember the first game he worked in Winnipeg. There was a break in play and some talking heads on the screen with the Cannad Inns field in the background.

For no apparent reason a bunch of applause and cheering started up. It turned out that it was for Khari who was on the sideline just south of the visitor's bench. They asked him about it later and he, visibly choked up, said "I didn't know what to expect coming back here because I didn't leave under the best of circumstances but I was getting lots of 'Welcome back' and 'Good luck on your new job' comments. These Winnipeg fans are great."

I think he'd come back here, provided that the circus that's been in town for so long has finally left.

IMO, at the end of this season we have to re-evaluate our OC position. The guys we should be thinking about are Khari, Jarious Jackson and Jason Maas. We might have to throw in an "Assistant Head Coach" title but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

If he came back It would be important for Khari to have good support from assistants to help with blocking schemes.  I think Bob Wylie is at the end of his road and will probably be gone along with Marcel.

Why is it that so many of the recommendations for hirings become popularity? What makes Khari so qualified? Put his picture on the Conservative ad saying Trudeau - maybe later but he just isn't experienced enough. Not sure how his hair fits into that ad? My first concern is why has he bounced around from place to place in his coaching stint so far?

Khari has always impressed as well-spoken and intelligent, with the respect of his team mates, and that ought to make for a good head coach. I'm not sure if he would be our best choice- I would love to to see Trestman here (if he becomes available). We've been taking chances on log-shots too often (Kelly, Berry, Reinbold etc) and suffered for it. Trestman would be a Godsend.

Why is it that so many of the recommendations for hirings become popularity? What makes Khari so qualified? Put his picture on the Conservative ad saying Trudeau - maybe later but he just isn't experienced enough. Not sure how his hair fits into that ad? My first concern is why has he bounced around from place to place in his coaching stint so far?

If Khari Jones isn't qualified to be a CFL OC, who is?  He's been an assistant on the offensive side for almost a decade, including 2 stints as an OC.  Are you really wondering why an assistant coach has bounced around?  :lol: Khari's actually done pretty good, I don't think he's been anywhere less than 2 seasons yet.

You'd have to give Khari the chance to OC for 2 or 3 seasons to really see how good he is. So far he's been decent, but would his second year have been better had either teams given him another year? Personally I think BC should have given him another year.

Hiring staff isn't about giving people a "chance" it's about determining who is qualified for any position.

Yes, because I meant that giving him a chance meant he's not qualified.  Don't be a knob.  You're always taking a chance when you're promoting someone to a new spot.  Burke was supposedly qualified and look what happened to him.

I would like a guy who's open to new ideas, flexible, yet tied into the tradition that is the CFL, maybe even somebody who has played and knows how important a good offence is. Maybe even somebody who has ties to the Bombers.

Doesn't even have to be famous.

Any old Tom, Dique or Kharry will do.

So...you're saying Dieter Brock?

That's what coaches do, they bounce around. Nature of the business. Bouncing around means nothing.

That's what coaches do, they bounce around. Nature of the business. Bouncing around means nothing.
Exactly. Lots of firings/hirings/movement has more to do with relationships, and not ability/competence.

I would like a guy who's open to new ideas, flexible, yet tied into the tradition that is the CFL, maybe even somebody who has played and knows how important a good offence is. Maybe even somebody who has ties to the Bombers.

No, SLo'gan, I'm not.

No, SLo'gan, I'm not.

:D